Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Email on Aug 31 "Tesla Updates: August 2015"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Listen guys, this Email is not lame. It's communication and it's a great start. We need to be commend, not condemn Tesla for putting this out there. We need to see more like this, no matter how much it's lacking in information that a few of the well informed already have. At the very least, it just confirms what we already know and it is a wake-up call to all those dreamers that were expecting a Stephen Colbert reveal. :wink:

Kudos for stating it so well. We want communication, then complain when it comes. If a newsletter starts coming out monthly or bimonthly or whatevercadencetheychoose, it's a good thing.

(People were serious about a Colbert reveal?)

Kudos for stating it so well. We want communication, then complain when it comes. If a newsletter starts coming out monthly or bimonthly or whatevercadencetheychoose, it's a good thing.

(People were serious about a Colbert reveal?)

It's late night tv. I mean, how many crazy things happened on Letterman's show? I wouldn't expect a full reveal/presentation, but it would not shock me if some kind of stunt like driving a Model X out on stage happened.

It's getting to the point where "deliveries in late Q3 of this year" sounds ridiculous because we're already there. It also seems obvious that Tesla is doing their best to release the X as quickly as possible, but they haven't made the wait easy in any shape or form.

It's getting to the point where "deliveries in late Q3 of this year" sounds ridiculous because we're already there. It also seems obvious that Tesla is doing their best to release the X as quickly as possible, but they haven't made the wait easy in any shape or form.

Waiting is never easy. My wife and I waited three and a half years for our first Model S, after a $40,000 holding fee.

We are not really "late" Q3. 2/3, to be exact. If that were a twelve hour clock, it would be 8PM, or Prime Time. All point of view!

Hope you don't give up on them. The wait was worth it to me. And it is very apparent that the wait will not be much longer!

I received the "email" today, so on the list. Thanks. No information on the X and only a link to the same page that has been on the site for months. I guess this fulfills something by the end August. I wonder what the delivery by the end of the 3rd quarter really means..... maybe a picture of one.

Waiting is never easy. My wife and I waited three and a half years for our first Model S, after a $40,000 holding fee.

We are not really "late" Q3. 2/3, to be exact. If that were a twelve hour clock, it would be 8PM, or Prime Time. All point of view!

Hope you don't give up on them. The wait was worth it to me. And it is very apparent that the wait will not be much longer!

Not giving up on Tesla, at all, just making an observation. The last moments always feel like the longest ;)

Yeah!! Tesla sent us a note referencing the Model X!!!

Put me in the "it's lame camp". I can think of way better ways to officially communicate to X reservation holders for the first time since November last year than putting a blurb at the bottom of a general update email.

Personally, I still don't understand why Tesla isn't showing this car yet. Please don't give me any of this "because Elon said so" non sense. He also implied that the design studio would be up by now as well and I don't think that's happening so I don't think you can take him literally on every point.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one. The X just isn't ready yet.

Personally, I still don't understand why Tesla isn't showing this car yet. Please don't give me any of this "because Elon said so" non sense. He also implied that the design studio would be up by now as well and I don't think that's happening so I don't think you can take him literally on every point.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one. The X just isn't ready yet.

Given the un-camouflaged Model X vehicles driving around I think the car is actually ready.

What I don't think is ready is the supply chain, and that this is the reason for a delayed reveal. Tesla has a backlog of something like 30k for the Model X. A big splash of a reveal and nice configuration website would likely tigger even more orders when Tesla has no chance of filling those orders anytime soon. This would make new customers pretty angry.

My guess is that the gist of what former forum member (and alleged inside info leaker) Eds said was generally correct: there have been problems with components suppliers and that initial production will be very low.

Hooray, I'm finally back in their good graces. I got the email - the first one since I ordered over 2 years ago. But as many have said, something is better than nothing. Now just hoping for a smooth ramp-up.

$1K Tesla

I have waited three years for this car, and over the last three months, I have daily viewed Tesla Motors, TMC, EVM obsession, Teslarati, and several other BEV sites. I am officially obsessed.

It is disturbing to see the negative comments focusing on Date rather then Quality. I'm willing to wait, and to add an up-beat flavor to this thread, please allow me to tell you about my $1000 Tesla model X. to do that I need to say a little bit about myself.

In 1977 I wrote and had funded the first microcomputer project in K-12 in United States. For you young folks, this was the first year you could buy a microcomputer to use in the home, without using a soldering iron. Because of this timing, I was aware of many early computer products.
In 1980 I found a Apple 1 and traded $1000 of computer equipment for it. Two years ago, I sold that computer for $300,000 via Christie's auction house. After taxes, there was enough to buy a "loaded" Tesla model X.

I am sure that my Tesla X will be a fantastic car.
Sig X #931

Early 2016. That's when it says you can take delivery if you click the more info button on the email.

That doesn't seem like a huge backlog to me if Tesla thinks they can catch up in early 2016....

Looking at the "Model X Tally" thread here at TMC, forum member Paul Carter projects 25k actual buyers out of that 30k total reservations.

Tesla's most optimistic projections of factory capacities was something like 2,000 units/week of Model S and X total by the end of 2015. I think they scaled that down by a few hundred units. Elon originally projected 4-5k Model X shipped this year.

Even if Tesla can produce 1,200 Model X per month at the start of 2016, it would take about 4 months to clear the existing backlog of orders (20k left after 5k shipped in '15, 20k/1.2k = 16.67 weeks = 3.84 months, or late April). New orders would be pushed to May, June, or beyond (if the factory can't ramp). Basically, I don't believe for a second that new orders today have any chance of shipping in "early 2016". If Tesla proves me wrong I'll be quite happy as the stock price will soar on massive free cash flow.

Anyone have any idea why some people get this and others don't? I receive emails from them. Been on the list forever. Checked my "junk" email. Did not receive the email.

i and others never receive squat either, the profile looks good too??? beats me. I almost missed out on the billion mile tour my town had this past weekend, just assumed I didnt make the cut but they called me saturday afternoon and asked "umm are you coming for your test drive?". did not receive their conf. email either. weird

Looking at the "Model X Tally" thread here at TMC, forum member Paul Carter projects 25k actual buyers out of that 30k total reservations.

Tesla's most optimistic projections of factory capacities was something like 2,000 units/week of Model S and X total by the end of 2015. I think they scaled that down by a few hundred units. Elon originally projected 4-5k Model X shipped this year.

Even if Tesla can produce 1,200 Model X per month at the start of 2016, it would take about 4 months to clear the existing backlog of orders (20k left after 5k shipped in '15, 20k/1.2k = 16.67 weeks = 3.84 months, or late April). New orders would be pushed to May, June, or beyond (if the factory can't ramp). Basically, I don't believe for a second that new orders today have any chance of shipping in "early 2016". If Tesla proves me wrong I'll be quite happy as the stock price will soar on massive free cash flow.

There I no such thing as massive free cash flow with tesla at least not for the next few years. This is ultimately my problem.

They aren't sitting on record cash reserves like aapl, so why not market your product earlier rather than later? They took on more debt, issued more stock, now they really should try and sell more product like all other car makers do when introducing a new model. The hype machine for new models runs well in advance of general availability.

I received this latest email while on the way to pick up my "Tesla Jr." (BMW i3) that I'm leasing to tide me over until the Model X is available. I can understand them wanting to continue to push the Model S, but I firmly believe the Model X will be worth the wait or else I would have ordered a Model S instead.

Listen guys, this Email is not lame. It's communication and it's a great start. We need to be commend, not condemn Tesla for putting this out there. We need to see more like this, no matter how much it's lacking in information that a few of the well informed already have. At the very least, it just confirms what we already know and it is a wake-up call to all those dreamers that were expecting a Stephen Colbert reveal. :wink:

Perhaps I should have been more clear. By lame I meant that I got no new information from the email. It's basically the same info we got at the Q2 earnings call. I'm not condemning Tesla for sending out an email to communicate with reservation holders, I'm unhappy because it's month old news at this point. Yes, it's communication, no, it's not a great start.

Reservation holders who care knew this after the earnings call, reservation holders who don't care, don't need the email in the first place.

I read to the end of the email, got all excited about the Model X section and then.... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY
I didn't say it was horrible, I didn't say it was awful and I didn't condemn Tesla. I said it was a lame email and it is.

Last edited: