Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Braking For Shadow????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was cruising down an empty divided highway this morning using TACC. All for the sudden alarms go off and the car started braking aggressively. I took back control and kept going without incident as no one was around or behind me.

The only thing near me was an overpass the was casting a dark shadow on the road. I assume the shadow was misread as an obstacle?

Anyone else have this happen?

I’ve had the same issue too. Latest instance happened earlier this week during a clear day on a highway. Another car was behind me and I’m sure the driver didn’t like it. I’ve had the car since May.
I’m not a software guy but I don’t understand why Tesla cannot fix it...This could cause an accident.
I was so frustrated that I didn’t use TACC for the rest of my trip.
Things like that remind me that full self-driving won’t happen anytime soon.

AEB is mostly controlled by the radar and the radar is seeing the overpass as a stationary obstacle in the road. It's probably not shadows. The car seems to drive normally with lots of low sun angle shadows. Eventually more authority will be given to the cameras so these events will go away. I have had one phantom braking event in my 3 at night on an interstate passing under a traffic advisory sign that lasted a fraction of a second. I have passed under that sign many times before and after with no effect.

That will usually happen if the overpass is “in front” of the car while in a distance, such as when the road dips under it. Same thing with road signs. We have one here in WA on NB 405 while going over I5. There is a large sign right after the bridge that ends up being at the same level as car when at the highest point on the bridge. Report it every time, but it’s been months and it still does that. I keep my door on the accelerator in that spot.