Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank goodness. 2019.16.3 has made an appearance in Stats. Relief is at hand! In the meantime I can count myself amongst the lucky 35.2%. I wish I could say that it was due to strict adherence to my “7-day bake time” philosophy, but in this case I simply never got an update prompt.

For reasons like this though, I recommend the bake time policy! Especially now that you can force updates as soon as they are available, it is even more important to wait... Hopefully with the new firmware Tesla will make it clear in future which update you are getting (up until now at least it kind of requires perusing the Stats data or other sources to see what is getting pushed...). That way you will be able to compare against the forum tales of woe before taking the plunge.

Of course, nothing wrong with being bold and installing right away, but generally it will be a bit of a rocky road...so as long as you are cool with that, go ahead! Somebody has to be the guinea pig after all. Just be sure to give everyone here the heads up after some initial testing!

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
So you are not using the built-in dash cam? No problem as many make claims they have no backup data showing the 'claimed' problem.

Bob Wilson

I don’t have this update as I said.
I generally don’t pay much attention to a single report (though in this case the initial report came from someone I knew (with reasonable certainty based on prior interactions) to be a legitimate Tesla owner), but when I hear multiple people reporting the same thing, and when many of them are longtime members of this site, it tends to give credence to the reported issues.

This is not the first time there has been a rocky rollout of a new Tesla feature. I actually think it’s fine; I just think people who want to be first for the new feature should be cognizant of that history and likelihood, and not complain too much about it. People should recognize that essentially they are part of Tesla’s software validation process. I think this is likely the most efficient software release process, but it does introduce potential safety risks to an unsuspecting owner. No one is forcing anyone to update.

Reactions: GSP
Emergency lane departure is off by default. You can simply install 2019.16.2 and not enable the option.

Also I don’t recall ever experiencing a road like in the pic from @Paddy3101. Not sure about other places, but definitely not common in the Midwest.

In California, road markings like this are ALL over the place! Since Tesla does plenty of testing in CA, I'm surprised that this wasn't fixed pre-release (shouldn't even be a beta issue -- this nonsense should be handled in alpha!). I scrolled back up to examine the picture after reading the quoted post, and saw that in fact, this intersection is not just "vaguely" familiar, in fact, I just drove through it myself about 90 minutes ago. I guess I am now thankful that I have not yet received my update!

For reasons like this though, I recommend the bake time policy!
Must!
Charge!
Faster!

:p I accepted the update expecting 12.X. I'd been back on 6.3 or was that 8.3? The '7 day waiting period' is kinda hard to do since you accept updates w/o knowing the version number, right? I suppose if you got really keen you could sniff your own WiFi to watch for the download size, maybe? Or is there a way I don't know about?

What does 16.3 do, what's the change? Is it rolling out to Model 3 in NA, or is it a S/X thing to bring the 16.2 features to them?

Last edited:
I know of no way to tell about the update other than to guess based on Stats data about which versions are ramping up in percentage the fastest. Not a guarantee, I suppose you could get an older update when the newer ones are being pushed. Hard to know. As I said, maybe they’ll make that visible at some point. I’m sure there must be a way if you know your way around the car operating system but not interested in that!

What does 16.3 do, what's the change? Is it rolling out to Model 3 in NA, or is it a S/X thing to bring the 16.2 features to them?

I have no info on that. I just see it is now present in the Stats histogram with ~0% rollout. 16.2 is at 44.9%.

I suppose you could get an older update when the newer ones are being pushed.
It seems to happen. Likely to do with the download taking a while for some people, so while the old one is downloading over a few days the new one gets pushed out. Or maybe for some reason you're way at the end of the queue. I've gotten "old" updates while others have been getting the new one for a couple days at least.

Or maybe you are early on the queue and the download went faster than usual. That's what happened for me I think with 16.2. It was very early on that I got the Update prompt, so I figured I'd just gotten the older one that finally finished downloading.

Surprise!

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Haven't read this whole thread, but I *hate* Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance. I get a false positive probably every 20 minutes worth of driving on my local roads (winding New England country roads). I try to turn it off every drive, but sometimes I forget and the car will likely find some inappropriate spot to freak out at me and grab the wheel (which is scary for everyone in the car).

Anyways. I love my Model 3 as well as auto-pilot, and I'm generally happy that Tesla is aggressive with pushing out new features. But this one never should've made it anywhere close to production release as is (my wife says it's enough for her to go from loving the car to hating it cuz it's so stressful if you forget to turn off ELDA).

Thank goodness. 2019.16.3 has made an appearance in Stats. Relief is at hand! In the meantime I can count myself amongst the lucky 35.2%. I wish I could say that it was due to strict adherence to my “7-day bake time” philosophy, but in this case I simply never got an update prompt.

For reasons like this though, I recommend the bake time policy! Especially now that you can force updates as soon as they are available, it is even more important to wait... Hopefully with the new firmware Tesla will make it clear in future which update you are getting (up until now at least it kind of requires perusing the Stats data or other sources to see what is getting pushed...). That way you will be able to compare against the forum tales of woe before taking the plunge.

Of course, nothing wrong with being bold and installing right away, but generally it will be a bit of a rocky road...so as long as you are cool with that, go ahead! Somebody has to be the guinea pig after all. Just be sure to give everyone here the heads up after some initial testing!
Teslafi doesn’t show 16.3. I guess at some point it will when Teslafi users get it. Not soon enough for me. 16.2 is the worst for me.

I haven't personally experienced any false positives, so maybe the trigger is very regional specific? Drove about 100 miles around the DC area the other day with both settings on and didn't get it to trigger once.

Also making the rounds in the news is a video of the feature preventing a side-swipe in the pouring rain. Frankly with evidence like that, I would rather keep this feature on than switch it off.

Also making the rounds in the news is a video of the feature preventing a side-swipe in the pouring rain. Frankly with evidence like that, I would rather keep this feature on than switch it off.

This is a different feature. Can have this (has been around for a while, no way to disable) and not the ELDA.

I figured out how to turn the ELDA off and off and off and off and off and.... I really hate this feature. Our roads have so many pot holes and you have to drive off the regular line or get beat to death. Almost wanted to use the lemon law to return the car.

I have written to Tesla on this matter and am not finished communicating my feelings on these features; this car has undergone a material change in behavior. Someone elsewhere commented on the stop/start behavior at lights - a person can choose not to buy that car. In this case, no choice if I want any other bug fixes. On general principal it seems wrong, regardless of the feature.

This is a different feature. Can have this (has been around for a while, no way to disable) and not the ELDA.

I'm not going to claim I am some extraordinary driver but I am coming to the conclusion that I take it more seriously than many; some of those videos surprise me because I pick out what the offending vehicle (sorry driver) is doing before I see the car take action. No I won't catch every thing but neither will the car and given the false positives (phantom braking is well known) and the stress that brings, I require the option to disable features where the car takes control w/o action on my part, and to stay disabled until such time as I find them to be effective and less stressful than not having them at all.

Reactions: dloop and Lobstahz
I have written to Tesla on this matter and am not finished communicating my feelings on these features; this car has undergone a material change in behavior. Someone elsewhere commented on the stop/start behavior at lights - a person can choose not to buy that car. In this case, no choice if I want any other bug fixes. On general principal it seems wrong, regardless of the feature.

Gotta admit I’ve always been perplexed why people conside OTA updates such a bonus. Yes, things can surprise and delight you by getting better after you bought the car. BUT THEY CAN ALSO GET WORSE!

You have to live with the fact that the car you paid $50+k for a year or five years or ten years ago can become a different car overnight, and maybe not be the car you would have bought. And no rolling it back.

How many times has Apple ruined old phones with an iOS update? It’s annoying when its a 4-yr-old phone you were about to replace anyway. Not so funny if the new software makes the display run like poo when the car is 6 yrs old and you wanted to keep it for 10.

What happens if a more assertive board, or corporate partner, or more-empowered COO or GC decides some feature you love is a liability and needs to be enabled every drive, or some nanny like this one has to be disabled every time, only they’re not on twitter listening to owners, and will never change it back?

• Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz