Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall reimbursement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my reimbursement check today for $320. I am a bit disappointed considering the original repair amount they quoted me was $1280+ to repair and replace the original MCU chip. It was the only reason why I decided to pay the extra $1200 for the infotainment upgrade. Not to mention that the upgrade caused a slew of new problems.

AFAIK you are the first one (I've had read from), whom actually got a reimbursement at all. I would also be quite disappointed in this result! $320 are the cost of the current repair, is it not? Tesla must have switched the values in there spreadsheet, $320 is what they should have deducted from your quote...

Is it just me or does Tesla tend to make errors more often in their favor then the other way around... but then, who would tell here about it anyway. Hope this will be corrected, @cnorred Did you file a complaint?

BR! Oaito.

Spoke too soon. Check received today. $1627.30 (complete reimb. to the penny) for full MCU1 replacement in March 2020.
Congrats! Out of curiosity, $1627.30 is the usual price tag incl. labor for a MCU replacement? Over here in Germany Tesla quoted the exchange back then between $3300 and $3700 for parts and labor...

Congrats! Out of curiosity, $1627.30 is the usual price tag incl. labor for a MCU replacement? Over here in Germany Tesla quoted the exchange back then between $3300 and $3700 for parts and labor...
Thanks. With Tesla, there's no such thing as a usual price :) I know the price was higher a few months before mine was replaced, then it came down as more units were being replaced. And this, of course, was before they started doing daughter board replacements.

I got my reimbursement check today for $320. I am a bit disappointed considering the original repair amount they quoted me was $1280+ to repair and replace the original MCU chip. It was the only reason why I decided to pay the extra $1200 for the infotainment upgrade. Not to mention that the upgrade caused a slew of new problems.
They owe you $1280. Don't accept less.

They owe you $1280. Don't accept less.
Easier said than done. Sending emails to black hole accounts and talking to automated phone attendants doesn't accomplish much. The choices are mostly limited to cashing the check and potentially implicitly agreeing to the total, or not cashing it, and sending emails every day hoping one day someone will reply, or putting down a $5K retainer for some lawyer to sue Tesla.

I got my $320 reimbursement check today too. I paid $2,737.50 on 7/30/2020 at SC to fix my dead screen. They offered me either replace (my MS is 2015 and it is MCU1) or upgrade to MCU2. Replace is cheaper (don't remember exact quote) but I chose to upgrade. Don't understand how they calculated the $320. I'm disappointed.

Easier said than done. Sending emails to black hole accounts and talking to automated phone attendants doesn't accomplish much. The choices are mostly limited to cashing the check and potentially implicitly agreeing to the total, or not cashing it, and sending emails every day hoping one day someone will reply, or putting down a $5K retainer for some lawyer to sue Tesla.
Not the method I would use, or suggest. I would file for arbitration, If I got no satisfaction there, I would file in small claims. Filling for arbitration should get you some attention from Tesla legal, that's what happen with yellow screens. legally, Tesla has no leg to stand on, Tesla offered no $320 option, so that number is arbitrary and irrelevant. Posters only option was pay $1280 for chip repair, which is now a free recall, or $2480 for a new MCU 2, he choose to upgrade, based on the only 2 options he was offered. They owe him $1280. Personally, I believe there are people at Tesla erroneously determining the reimbursement amount, when it gets to legal, they should recognize their responsibility, or Tesla will lose the case.

Not the method I would use, or suggest. I would file for arbitration, If I got no satisfaction there, I would file in small claims. Filling for arbitration should get you some attention from Tesla legal, that's what happen with yellow screens. legally, Tesla has no leg to stand on, Tesla offered no $320 option, so that number is arbitrary and irrelevant. Posters only option was pay $1280 for chip repair, which is now a free recall, or $2480 for a new MCU 2, he choose to upgrade, based on the only 2 options he was offered. They owe him $1280. Personally, I believe there are people at Tesla erroneously determining the reimbursement amount, when it gets to legal, they should recognize their responsibility, or Tesla will lose the case.
What you say makes total sense, except that Tesla fights every arbitration and lawsuit with vigor, so the end result, it is just not worth the effort for a $1280. Tesla does this to send a message to anyone trying to challenge them - "you might win, but it will cost you more than you win".

Reactions: TessP100D
so the end result, it is just not worth the effort for a $1280. Tesla does this to send a message to anyone trying to challenge them - "you might win, but it will cost you more than you win".
Not necessarily. I did the yellow screen arbitration and won. Start to finish it was maybe 2 to 3 hours total prep time and a couple hours for the hearing. I'd do that for a chance at MAYBE getting a $1200 reimbursement every time. Of course, not everyone won.

But honestly it's more the principal than the money. I suspect the vast majority of yellow screen consumers would consider that "warranty" and not "wear and tear" as Tesla claimed. It was satisfying to beat Tesla at the own game, albeit on a tiny scale.

Not necessarily. I did the yellow screen arbitration and won. Start to finish it was maybe 2 to 3 hours total prep time and a couple hours for the hearing. I'd do that for a chance at MAYBE getting a $1200 reimbursement every time. Of course, not everyone won.

But honestly it's more the principal than the money. I suspect the vast majority of yellow screen consumers would consider that "warranty" and not "wear and tear" as Tesla claimed. It was satisfying to beat Tesla at the own game, albeit on a tiny scale.
Good for you sir. Thanks for posting this.

I absolutely get doing it for the principal. I used to do that in the past. Now, unless the amount is substantial, I will just take my business elsewhere. I drummed up some business for Tesla in the past, spent ~$400K with them myself. By losing my recommendation I figured they lost ~$500K in sales already, another couple of million easy over the next decade - yea, I am the car guy to a lot of my family and friends responsible for a bunch of Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Porsche and Tesla purchases on my past recommendations.

I absolutely get doing it for the principal. I used to do that in the past. Now, unless the amount is substantial, I will just take my business elsewhere. I drummed up some business for Tesla in the past, spent ~$400K with them myself. By losing my recommendation I figured they lost ~$500K in sales already, another couple of million easy over the next decade - yea, I am the car guy to a lot of my family and friends responsible for a bunch of Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Porsche and Tesla purchases on my past recommendations.
I feel like this is the same for many owners. I had recommended tesla so much in the past to people who did indeed end up buying.
These days I say I like the car but the service has gone to crud. If you want good service dont buy a Tesla.

Reactions: TessP100D

Principle, if it's not about the money.

Reactions: selledr
I'm confused on this. I have done 2 different door handle repairs on my car one with MCU1 and one with MCU2 neither had any computer issue just put it back together and its back to normal, no flashing or updates anywhere. Unless you bought an entire new handle assembly, which i cant fathom a reason of why when the repair is a $5 part. unless you get the repair kit like me that is $170 but still its better than stock so why not, and it still works fine.
Yes, it wasn't just a repair. For whatever reason, Tesla needed to replace the whole thing. FWIW, I've never replaced a door handle on any other car I've owned.

I had replacement screen Sept 25 2019, filled out the form Mar 5 2021, and was denied with "no record of potentially reimbursable repairs performed by Tesla"

I have spend 4hrs on the phone with customer care, to no avail. Now they are asking me to take it up with my service center that did the repair, as they are the last line of defense between me getting my money back or not

I also never got a decline email. I had to go check on my online profile.

I'm honestly sick and tired of this. I cancelled my wife's new Plaid, I canceled my CyberTruck. This company is going down the toilet hole faster than I can count. I can't believe how difficult it is to get a live person at this company to help, and even when they do help, they give you the run around.