Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall reimbursement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least the form seems to work!

It correctly showed my MCU2 upgrade date from last November. I filled in the details and form submitted successfully. We'll see if anything comes from it..

I am surprised to see that the process has started in the EU, at least in Finland...

At least you got the mail with link to the form to submit the request. Still no mail here.

... but apparently not yet in Belgium, where I assume Tesla believes myself and my MS "reside".

A possible explanation could be Tesla choosing to sweep the "Old Continent" from NE to SW, in which case my fellow countrymen and myself will come last :(

• Funny
Reactions: AustinP
I was also declined because they said "may things lead to the MCU failure" and the notes on my invoice for the replacement only says that the old MCU failed.

what a shitty loop hole. I was able to reach a CS rep to have them look again and they still denied it. Total BS especially since this was the only option back in the day (I had mine replaced before the MCU 2 infotainment option was avail.)

Jerks!

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I was also declined because they said "may things lead to the MCU failure" and the notes on my invoice for the replacement only says that the old MCU failed.

what a shitty loop hole. I was able to reach a CS rep to have them look again and they still denied it. Total BS especially since this was the only option back in the day (I had mine replaced before the MCU 2 infotainment option was avail.)

Jerks!
When Elon says "every penny counts", Tesla staff gets creative. But of course, you will not find any official Tesla stance on this, so the fanboys have plausible defense - "It was just this one employee", even though that was the only employee with whom you had a choice to deal. :(

I had to pay $1,281 for a replacement of the emmc mcu, due to malfunction on my 2015 model S, on 8/12/20. Now I got this email, and go to the form and it says I'm ineligible even when I have the tesla service center invoice! and there is no way to escalate the issue or talk to someone about it! What do i do

Anyone got an accepted claim who fixed it on their own? I got an email asking for details, I sent them back, it's been over a week, nothing back. :(
They are trying to say I didn't have the eMMc chip replaced because it doesn't state it clearly in the repair invoice. I may try calling the service department and get them to add that to the invoice. What a joke!

They are trying to say I didn't have the eMMc chip replaced because it doesn't state it clearly in the repair invoice. I may try calling the service department and get them to add that to the invoice. What a joke!
I sent them pictures of before with their old emmc and after the new EMMC is onboard - radio silence since. Notice that they can also check the emmc by logging in from the mothership.

Ignoring customer complaints and claims until they tire and go away is a time honored Tesla tradition, profitable in the short term too. The long term effect is it turns off customers, to Tesla loses future sales, but that's a future problem for Elon, right now he can attract plenty of first time customers with his hype, wanting their cool self driving Tesla.

Que fanboys defending how if Tesla didn't do that, they'd go bankrupt, so they have to screw customers to stay alive.

Reactions: MS-Alec
Once my eMMC filled up due to the bug, we had a number of MCU issues - black screens, reboots, etc. After so many issues with our car over the years, we didn't even bother reporting the small stuff. However, when our second drive train started to fail, we tried to get warranty replacement of the MCU because the drive train can't be replaced with a bad eMMC. We even tried arbitration -- and lost. (While the drive train was covered by the warranty, the MCU wasn't. It apparently didn't make any difference that Tesla couldn't replace the drive train without first fixing their broken MCU)

We soldiered on because I was convinced that Tesla would eventually feel pressure to replace these MCU. Well, eventually, the passenger side door handle failed. Well, to replace it, guess what... you need a new MCU. Think about that for just a minute. I can't replace a broken DOOR HANDLE without a new MCU.

Since I considered this a safety issue, I caved. We paid $2200+ for the new MCU. With a new eMMC in place, we replaced the door handle and failed heater. Held on to the drive train for another year because we wanted to get the most out of the warranty.

I filed for the reimbursement and was declined. I guess we should have waited for our defroster to stop working.

Worst. Car. (Company.) Ever.

With a new eMMC in place, we replaced the door handle and failed heater. Held on to the drive train for another year because we wanted to get the most out of the warranty.

That is sort of a double edge sword. If you wait until close to the end of the warranty to get the drive unit replaced and then the replacement fails just outside of warranty you end up screwing yourself. (Tesla offers no extension of warranty on repairs made under warranty. So if you have something repaired on the last day of the warranty and it fails the next day you have to pay for the re-repair.) There is also the clause in the warranty that allows Tesla to deny coverage in your case since it says that failure to make repairs upon discovery of the defect is grounds for them to deny coverage. (I don't know if that is enforceable or not and I have never heard of Tesla using that, but they potentially could.)

... Well, eventually, the passenger side door handle failed. Well, to replace it, guess what... you need a new MCU. Think about that for just a minute. I can't replace a broken DOOR HANDLE without a new MCU.

I'm confused on this. I have done 2 different door handle repairs on my car one with MCU1 and one with MCU2 neither had any computer issue just put it back together and its back to normal, no flashing or updates anywhere. Unless you bought an entire new handle assembly, which i cant fathom a reason of why when the repair is a $5 part. unless you get the repair kit like me that is $170 but still its better than stock so why not, and it still works fine.

Ignoring customer complaints and claims until they tire and go away is a time honored Tesla tradition, profitable in the short term too. The long term effect is it turns off customers, to Tesla loses future sales, but that's a future problem for Elon, right now he can attract plenty of first time customers with his hype, wanting their cool self driving Tesla.

Que fanboys defending how if Tesla didn't do that, they'd go bankrupt, so they have to screw customers to stay alive.

Yeah, I was thinking of updating my S but the half-assed the launch of the refresh and then screwing me out of a measly few bucks has soured me on Tesla. Thank god I didn't drop $10k on FSD back in the day.

My wife saw the EQS launch video yesterday and has been peppering me with questions about it. She loves the luxury interior and the massage seats, which is something Tesla can't deliver. And I bet Mercedes has more than four color options as well.

Reactions: KyleDay
Just an update to the main topic, after exchanging emails Tesla informed me that changing the EMMC myself does not qualify. :(
1618611703044.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
I got my reimbursement check today for $320. I am a bit disappointed considering the original repair amount they quoted me was $1280+ to repair and replace the original MCU chip. It was the only reason why I decided to pay the extra $1200 for the infotainment upgrade. Not to mention that the upgrade caused a slew of new problems.