Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall vs. MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re quoting a post that is two years old. The recall is ongoing to repair faulty memory chips with new larger chips that wear less in order to extend the lifespan of the board.

There isn’t a large inventory of MCU1 parts. Tesla is using old boards they get back from cars that are upgraded to MCU2 to keep an inventory for the recall.
I'm aware of the age of the thread, and I checked to make sure that user was astill active (today at 1555) vs replying to a former member who can't answer. I'm also aware of what the eMMC does as I've had it done. I don't recall the eMMC being considered a recall vs a service bulletin,. TSB 21-39-001 for the halfshafts/clevis saved me over $1k after I asked more questions about it so I was hopeful the recall/TSB Wooter mentioned would be something similar where it gave a substantial discount for an MCU2 upgrade. No such luck.

Last edited:
$500 for the tuner, plus tax. MCU2 for free. No labor for either. Deal of the week.

It shouldn’t matter, but any chance your car is under some extended warranty? Like if you bought it used in 2019 from Tesla?

When is your install date?
picked up vehicle today after 4+ days at the sc. screens were replaced, mcu was upgraded, no sirius xm tuner installed. car was purchased 4 years ago from third party, there is no extended warranty. to be honest, i lucked out. advisor told me 'something isnt mathing here' and at the end of the day said i got a heavily discounted infotainment upgrade.

service center managed to bend top screen bezel pretty bad and damage my leather that surrounds my glove box. showed advisor when i picked up and was told i can bring it by the following day for remedy.

My car has prestine displays and was basically operating really well. A bit slower in some areas but everything (but the browser or course) worked. I did not have super frequent rebooting nor freeze ups like some. The app always said my eMCC was just fine. I needed to get the Pyro fuse replaced the other day and the SC wanted to do the eMMC recall to. Why not.

They did a super job and had the car turned around in a few hours same day, gave me a loaner and the only thing I needed to update was pairing my cell phone to the car. Everything else was there.

The car is a bit more snappy than it was before but not astoundidly so. It even fixed some little quirk in my WC sessions that would stop charging after a few minutes. Overall I give it way thumbs up.👍

Since I did not need new displays nor wanted any of the MCU2 features on my very early MX, the free fix was perfect for me. Plus I still have my FM.

Last edited:
I have a 2014 model S (out of warranty), pre-AP.
The Tesla app says my eMMC is healthy, but I want to do the repair before bigger issues. Any way to actually get it done?

Alternatively, I’d like to upgrade to MCU2 if I can get a good price (I heard some people paid $1,000 if the eMMC recall wasn’t done). Is this still current? My app does not show a MCU2 upgrade option
The app continued to show my chip was healthy right up until the day it died. So it doesn't seem that the health check was very good at predicting failure.