Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

eMMC recall vs. MCU2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upgraded MCU2 was originally covered by 4 year no mileage limitation warranty but later was reduced to 2 years, IIRC
Thanks for that. I did look on the upgrade page before I asked but could not find it. Infotainment Upgrade

I did see the Tesla parts warranty after some searching. Attached.

Attachments

• W2pm8Wl[1].jpg
    W2pm8Wl[1].jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Reactions: ABC2D
Thanks for that. I did look on the upgrade page before I asked but could not find it. Infotainment Upgrade

I did see the Tesla parts warranty after some searching. Attached.
Yes, but later, as @MP3Mike pointed out, Tesla changed that coverage slashing it by half (I almost forgot about this). My MCU was upgraded in June, before the warranty reduction was announced, and I believe I also have saved screenshots from Tesla app of confirmations from 2 or 3 Tesla techs confirming that I have 4 years no mileage warranty on the MCU

Reactions: scottf200
Where did you find that? It is certainly out of date; here is the current version:
View attachment 712362

Note: It has an effective date of July 2, 2020.
Thanks much! It was in an old post. Pointing me to the doc was very helpful as I could find it in the internet archives (wayback machine). PDF versions here:
C9UWdO0.jpg

Here is the June 1, 2020 archived one image below. Since my invoice is '12-Jun-2020' I should have the 4 years version (i.e before July 2).

zRxF95P.jpg

Last edited:
If you're looking to drive your X on the cheap and are satisfied with the speed of your media control unit, you could just hold out until the recall.

However, I've upgraded my 2017 Model X in October 2020 and have to say that the media control is much faster and voice commands actually get understood and work. I do not care much about Netflix or games, but they also get added to your media control.

In combination with autopilot hardware, your dashboard will also show traffic cones and garbage dumpsters, and will be quicker to display other road features. It's only with the full paid autopilot suite with an upgrade to autopilot hardware 3.0 you also get stopping for red lights.
As Someone who has the same Model X that I have and has upgraded to MCU2, what is your current firmware version and do you see the button to join the FSD beta program?

A lot changed through 2017, so one upgraded 2017 may not be the same as another. My 2017 came with AP2.5 and MCU1, both have been upgraded. I'm on 21.32.22 and I'm opted in to the beta FSD queue.
Thanks for the reply. Same here, AP2.5 upgraded tp AP3 and MCU1. Just confirmed with another friend with the same upgrades and MCU2 got home on the FSD Beta queue also. Set and appointment with Tesla today to do the MCU2 upgrade.

I had my 2017 MX MCU1 and AP2.5 upgraded to MCU2/AP3 in Nov. 2020 for $2,500. A few weeks ago, I go out for a drive and the car displays are completely black after opening driver side door. After getting inside and pressing / tapping the MCU screen and scroll wheels, nothing is happening. However I notice the air is running, the mirrors will adjust and all signals (stop and turn signal) are working and I can adjust the air via the steering wheel. The vehicle will also go into Drive, Reverse and Park (just can't see it). Decided to do a reboot of the vehicle to see if that would help. Didn't work. Called Tesla support and they go through the normal workflow and suggested a reboot. Rebooted again, didn't work. Was told by Tesla support I should create a ticket with the service center. Created appointment with SC but decided to go by to see if they could take a look. Make a long story short, Tesla SC was really helpful and was willing to work with me. After troubleshooting the issue for a few hours they ended keeping my car for 3 days but provided me a loaner (Model S 100D). Per the SC tech, my MCU2 failed and had to be replaced. They did all of the work and replacement under warranty.

In regards to the recall, I submitted the form to be reimbursed about 4-6 months ago and was denied.
@D-ATL I am curious how you are able to call Tesla support. The (888) 518-3752 is generic and doesn't go to a person. The service centers require me to file a service ticket. I am very frustrated dealing with the MCU/eMMC crash issues with these partial responses via service center texts. They tell me to wait for software update or buy the infotainment system, not once even mentioning the recall until I brought it up... then refused to do it (talked about wait list of non-drivable cars). If there is a way to get ahold of live support for future issues, I would be ecstatic.

Last edited:
On the NHTSA site. This is the most current report, I don't expect another update until November:

View attachment 719712
This is obviously an expensive recall. Maybe Tesla is saving money (or rather profiting) by convincing people to upgrade infotainment. They pushed it pretty hard. I wonder if anyone has complained to NHTSA about the lack of action from Tesla for people want to have the recall service performed.

I have a 2013 Model S and have just received my recall notice asking me to come in for the recall. When I scheduled my service I got a notice about the infotainment upgrade. It appears to me that since I have an older model Model S none of the upgrade features really applies to me and I lose my FM radio. One interesting item is that the upgrade notice says that if I decline to pay for the upgrade there will be no warranty on the recall repair. This seemed odd to me since there is normally some warranty on all work Tesla does on my vehicle.

Hi @ScottinAZ ,

Would you please post the recall letter if it is possible???

I see confusion in your post between the recall and the upgrade...
If the recall is performed, you are done. The car should work as it was
designed and delivered. Your warranty would seem to be already over...
That is how and why it is a recall...

If you are able to get a PAID upgrade that is when you lose the radio capability.
Paying to lose a capability does not seem right, but that is what it is...
After they lead with that statement, they later offered to add a radio to the upgrade price
for $500 extra whether installed at the time of the upgrade or later...
The warranty on the upgrade, I believe, has changed from 4 years to 2 years after the date of installation.

Good luck whichever way you go,

Shawn

Hi @ScottinAZ ,

Would you please post the recall letter if it is possible???

I see confusion in your post between the recall and the upgrade...
If the recall is performed, you are done. The car should work as it was
designed and delivered. Your warranty would seem to be already over...
That is how and why it is a recall...

If you are able to get a PAID upgrade that is when you lose the radio capability.
Paying to lose a capability does not seem right, but that is what it is...
After they lead with that statement, they later offered to add a radio to the upgrade price
for $500 extra whether installed at the time of the upgrade or later...
The warranty on the upgrade, I believe, has changed from 4 years to 2 years after the date of installation.

Good luck whichever way you go,

Shawn
I will see if I can scan the recall letter and post it.
Yes, I understand the recall is free and can be done separately from the MCU upgrade or the radio upgrade. My question was regarding the MCU upgrade since the benefits of the MCU upgrade seem to apply to functions my car does not have, for example the access to the camera on the mirror or additional self driving functionality. Since my car has neither a camera on the mirror nor the self driving hardware those capabilities of the upgraded MCU would have no benefit for me. I wanted to make sure I was not missing something.
I don't have the text from the MCU upgrade message since it appeared on the app on my phone and once I declined it is no longer available but I am sure it indicated there would be no warranty on the recall. I hope that is not true.
As an additional note when I got in the car today I got a notice about the 3G modem needing upgrade to LTE since ATT is dropping 3G support. Now that is something I want to do and it would have included it with the recall it had they mentioned it. I have added it to the appointment and they have rescheduled my appointment. I will post how it goes.

I will see if I can scan the recall letter and post it.
Yes, I understand the recall is free and can be done separately from the MCU upgrade or the radio upgrade. My question was regarding the MCU upgrade since the benefits of the MCU upgrade seem to apply to functions my car does not have, for example the access to the camera on the mirror or additional self driving functionality. Since my car has neither a camera on the mirror nor the self driving hardware those capabilities of the upgraded MCU would have no benefit for me. I wanted to make sure I was not missing something.
I don't have the text from the MCU upgrade message since it appeared on the app on my phone and once I declined it is no longer available but I am sure it indicated there would be no warranty on the recall. I hope that is not true.
As an additional note when I got in the car today I got a notice about the 3G modem needing upgrade to LTE since ATT is dropping 3G support. Now that is something I want to do and it would have included it with the recall it had they mentioned it. I have added it to the appointment and they have rescheduled my appointment. I will post how it goes.
Maybe a bit late, but AFAIK, the cellular upgrade is included with the MCU upgrade, and the MCU performance is much better after upgrade. There are also features tied to the MCU upgrade like theater and games which you may or may not be interested in. Also, FWIW, there is an option to do an FM/(existing)Sirius antenna upgrade at the same so they'll work with the new MCU if you need those features, I believe it is an additional $500.