Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emulation modes for dealer test-drive cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mentioned this to the Tesla dealer in Washington Square (Portland, OR) yesterday, he suggested I post it on the forum.

The cars used for test drives are all performance models - until dealers get a "regular" car, there's no real way to feel what the differences are between performance, regular 85 kWh, 60 kWh, etc. Reading the performance numbers isn't' the same as "feeling" it.

It seems to me that it would be possible to put in an emulation mode switch via software - that is, you have a performance model, but it can be made to emulate a lesser model's performance by changing a setting.

This accomplishes several things - it lets the dealers only need one type of car (air suspension notwithstanding), and allows potential customers to feel the difference in performance. I know some folks I've talked to are reluctant to buy a car if they've only been able to test-drive a souped up version, not the one they'd actually get.

There's a potential for up-selling, too - if someone thinks the regular 60 or 85 kWh pack is fine, letting them see what they're missing by not getting the performance model might get them to upgrade.

This assumes, of course, that the acceleration of the car is controlled by software, but I think that's a pretty safe bet.

I am definitely in that boat, i am buying non performance cause I am at 84k now and really don't want to spend another 10k, i am an old gear head and think its time to enjoy the car for what it is. After my performance test drive the other day I came away having doubts, the sales assoc i was with said he really didn't notice a big difference at all till he tried one after the other, then he said he thought the difference was slight. Well I would like to be able to make that decision before parting with 84k PLUS and possibly wishing I had spent the other 10. That being said I am a solar junkie and have wanted a pure EV for a long time. I like the rest of you worked very hard for my pennies and 10k is a lot to me. I think your solution is excellent and one TESLA should have imagined on their own when they decided to build cars for test drives but could not afford the time or resources to supply two to each location.

The cars used for test drives are all performance models - until dealers get a "regular" car, there's no real way to feel what the differences are between performance, regular 85 kWh, 60 kWh, etc. Reading the performance numbers isn't' the same as "feeling" it.

I'm pretty sure they had one Performance and two non-performance models at the Toronto Get Amped test drive. I drove a blue non-Performance model (according to the Tesla rep).

The Toronto store is keeping the black Performance model, so I guess going forward the folks in Toronto are only going to have a Performance to try.

Emulation software would be great, particularly in the performance/standard decision. I expect most people's choice of battery size will be dominated by range vs. $$$, not performance.

i am thinking the 60kW based on my needs. that being said, i rode with my brother yesterday in a porsche cayenne turbo and then rode in a regular porsche cayenne and if the difference between the 60kW and the 85kW or perf is that big then i would make the jump for 20k. the turbo cayenne was AMAZING torque. don't know if the difference will be the same since the 60kW doesn't have the specs. the torque difference between the nonperf and perf is pretty big...~100lb-ft

Well yeah, the Porsche cayenne turbo is 4.4 0-60 which is 3 seconds better than the regular one. That's a huge difference and the car goes from 50k to 110k!

Considering it's more than double price and the added maintance on that engine we are getting a major bargain which is also why I opted for performance.