Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enable matrix headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please enable the matrix function in the headlights, even cheap cars have this feature now as standard and it makes it much safer during night since you don't need to completely turn off the highbeams on dark roads when meeting or following another car to avoid blinding them.

AP is already good at seeing where the other cars are so it shouldn't be a difficult task to get the lights working as well.

Upvote 3
They don't need the approval in the US to enable them in the rest of the world where they are already allowed to be used.
For Tesla it will just be a feature flag that is enabled or disabled based on the cars location, same as they already do with many of their other features.

Highland have them disabled, I checked when I tested the car with a Tesla employee on September 1st.

It's really hard to see why they haven't allowed the feature yet. I honestly thought this was some sort of 2020-2021 thing and it would be enabled in 2022 by latest. If they have already invested in it in production for years and in millions of cars, why not to enable it in EU, Asia, Africa, Australia, where it's allowed and where competitors are widely using it. It's a safety feature. Safety has been a big part of Tesla's marketing. Be true to your word.

Reactions: Maki22
It's really hard to see why they haven't allowed the feature yet. I honestly thought this was some sort of 2020-2021 thing and it would be enabled in 2022 by latest. If they have already invested in it in production for years and in millions of cars, why not to enable it in EU, Asia, Africa, Australia, where it's allowed and where competitors are widely using it. It's a safety feature. Safety has been a big part of Tesla's marketing. Be true to your word.
I agree and the car already know where the other cars are on the road so it should be simple for them to do.

Reactions: Rockstop
I think the reason is that they never actually planned on having true matrix capabilities. Since its inception, Tesla's lights were always kinda crap compared to the competition - it just never seemed to be a priority to push the tech.

The primary purpose of the headlamps is to allow them to use the same part worldwide. The beam pattern difference is just software instead of requiring inventory of multiple SKUs

I think the reason is that they never actually planned on having true matrix capabilities. Since its inception, Tesla's lights were always kinda crap compared to the competition - it just never seemed to be a priority to push the tech.

The primary purpose of the headlamps is to allow them to use the same part worldwide. The beam pattern difference is just software instead of requiring inventory of multiple SKUs
So why spend the money on the extra hardware for Matrix headlights when they could've just put dummy, non-intelligent LED headlights?

Even considering Tesla's economies of scale, I still doubt that the matrix light panel would be cheaper than the non-intelligent led headlight bibena mentioned. There are tons of different parts for LHD and RHD vehicles. The panels and their control boards are much more expensive compared to simple ones.

There are companies that sell modules to enable the existing matrix headlights on US cars, but none come that way from the factory yet.

I'm coming up short looking for a module that would enable my '23 MYP to use it's matrix headlight as intended as my commute each morning is in the darkness on winding roads and involves the high beam and low beam changing constantly. Where can I find one of these modules and does it really work as intended?

-Paul

I'm coming up short looking for a module that would enable my '23 MYP to use it's matrix headlight as intended as my commute each morning is in the darkness on winding roads and involves the high beam and low beam changing constantly. Where can I find one of these modules and does it really work as intended?

-Paul
The modules I was referencing enable existing functionality already programmed in but disabled in our region.

To my knowledge there's no software present on Tesla cars at all yet to enable this functionality, in any region, so there's no hack to enabling it.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
1703025432829.png

Reactions: KevinT3141