Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy recovery from suspension travel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking for links and information on Tesla recovering energy from suspension travel via ultra capacitors. I once saw a brief video about this but I don’t know if Tesla actually put it into the suspension. Any info, confirmation or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

Interesting physics problem.

A Model S weighs about 4,800 pounds.
If you go over a 3" speed bump with all four wheels, you can roughly assume that the car is elevated 3" off the ground, and falls. This is a "potential energy" calculation.

Using this web site,

A Model S falling 3" equals 0.000451 kW*hr.

If you have an 85 kW*hr battery, this equals roughly 200,000 speed bumps for one charge.

Interesting math, but obviously not worth the parts cost and engineering labor time for Tesla.

Brian

Upvote 0
Interesting physics problem.

A Model S weighs about 4,800 pounds.
If you go over a 3" speed bump with all four wheels, you can roughly assume that the car is elevated 3" off the ground, and falls. This is a "potential energy" calculation.

Using this web site,

A Model S falling 3" equals 0.000451 kW*hr.

If you have an 85 kW*hr battery, this equals roughly 200,000 speed bumps for one charge.

Interesting math, but obviously not worth the parts cost and engineering labor time for Tesla.

Brian
But the wheels are probably bouncing 0.25” constantly. Which might add up to something.

Upvote 0