TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Energy usage of TSportline 22" forged vs stock 22" black onyx

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Dimitar Atanasov, Jul 20, 2017.

?

Your opinion on the MX117 Imperial Red on a Pearl White MX100D

1. love the look

30.8%
  2. A little bit tacky

38.5%
  3. All black was better

30.8%
  4. I'll Marry you :)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dimitar Atanasov

hello group,

Recently I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade the 22" black onyx with TSportline 22" MX117 finished in Imperial Red on my new MX100D

Besides getting the custom look and wow factor I was hoping for decreased energy usage as the MX117's are over 25% lighter than the 22" blk onyx and are actually 10% lighter over the Tesla 20" Slipstreams.

The result is so far amazing!

My life consumption on the 22" onyx was exactly 400 Wh/mi over almost 6,000 miles of spirited driving (5-10 over the limit) and it included a IL-FL road trip.

I am currently doing the same road trip with the 22" MX117's (speeds of 75-80MPH; temps 90-98; AC @70) so far 700 miles in my energy usage is mid 350's and usage since putting the wheels on is under 370 Wh/mi giving me at least 10-15% lower energy usage and better range!

Those wheels seem to meet or even beat the energy performance of the stock 20" Slipstreams

I would greatly recommend TSportline forged to anyone that is considering going for the 22" Onyx or wants a custom look.

See pics below.

P. S. Will be customizing the look further with chrome delete/red accents; front window and windshield tint; and carbon fiber side skirts and lower bumper

IMG_9333.JPG IMG_9333.JPG IMG_9334.JPG IMG_9335.JPG IMG_9362.JPG IMG_9372.JPG IMG_9377.JPG

IMG_9453.JPG

IMG_9455.JPG

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Your car matches the superchargers very nicely. :)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  3. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Member

Thanks for posting this. I've been very curious about the real-world consumption data for lightweight 22s vs. the stock 22s.

Have you noticed any improvement in ride quality and impact harshness? Seems like lighter wheels should "react" faster to road imperfections.

4. larmor

larmor Active Member

Great info. However, has your firmware changed also? I ask as my latest firmware has slightly improved wh/mi power usage, (without a wheel change).

5. Dimitar Atanasov

Yes! The car feels more responsive and ride is def smoother

6. Dimitar Atanasov

I have had multiple firmware updates like everyone else. Currently on 17.26.76
    And have a notice on a new update

I don't think that there is any firmware update that'll increase your range.

In my case the update was a hardware one. Below is a screenshot of the new version ;)

IMG_9331.JPG

7. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Member

Nice. Are those the Continental ExtremeContacts? Any significant difference in tire noise versus the stock rubber? Did your original tires have the inner foam lining?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm considering purchasing a set of T Sportline 22s later this year, so I'm very interested in your experience.

8. Dimitar Atanasov

I find those tires better - quieter as well. I'm sure it's a combination of the wheels and tires as well

9. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

It's awesome to see the real world results. The factory 22" setup with tires is almost 20lbs heavier per corner than the factory 20" setup with tires.

I'm guessing with your current aftermarket 22's + tires you're only 8lbs heavier per corner than the factory 20" stock setup. Huge improvement over the stock 22's.

I think that's about as good as anyone will be able to get with a 22" setup. 22" tires are heavy to begin with, 22" tires with acoustic foam liners are even heavier. My math says that someone would need to come up with 22" wheels that weight about 25lbs to get a tire/wheel setup that matches the weight and quietness of the factory 20's. Short of carbon fiber wheels, I can't see that happening.

• Helpful x 1
  10. JimHouston

JimHouston New Member

I would love that range increase! How much were the set of four wheels?

- Jim
    Model X P90D

11. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

TSportline...