Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy usage of TSportline 22" forged vs stock 22" black onyx

Your opinion on the MX117 Imperial Red on a Pearl White MX100D

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello group,

Recently I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade the 22" black onyx with TSportline 22" MX117 finished in Imperial Red on my new MX100D

Besides getting the custom look and wow factor I was hoping for decreased energy usage as the MX117's are over 25% lighter than the 22" blk onyx and are actually 10% lighter over the Tesla 20" Slipstreams.

The result is so far amazing!

My life consumption on the 22" onyx was exactly 400 Wh/mi over almost 6,000 miles of spirited driving (5-10 over the limit) and it included a IL-FL road trip.

I am currently doing the same road trip with the 22" MX117's (speeds of 75-80MPH; temps 90-98; AC @70) so far 700 miles in my energy usage is mid 350's and usage since putting the wheels on is under 370 Wh/mi giving me at least 10-15% lower energy usage and better range!

Those wheels seem to meet or even beat the energy performance of the stock 20" Slipstreams

I would greatly recommend TSportline forged to anyone that is considering going for the 22" Onyx or wants a custom look.

See pics below.

P. S. Will be customizing the look further with chrome delete/red accents; front window and windshield tint; and carbon fiber side skirts and lower bumper

IMG_9333.JPG
IMG_9333.JPG
IMG_9334.JPG
IMG_9335.JPG
IMG_9362.JPG
IMG_9372.JPG
IMG_9377.JPG

IMG_9453.JPG

IMG_9455.JPG

Thanks for posting this. I've been very curious about the real-world consumption data for lightweight 22s vs. the stock 22s.

Have you noticed any improvement in ride quality and impact harshness? Seems like lighter wheels should "react" faster to road imperfections.

hello group,

Recently I decided to pull the trigger and upgrade the 22" black onyx with TSportline 22" MX117 finished in Imperial Red on my new MX100D

Besides getting the custom look and wow factor I was hoping for decreased energy usage as the MX117's are over 25% lighter than the 22" blk onyx and are actually 10% lighter over the Tesla 20" Slipstreams.

The result is so far amazing!

My life consumption on the 22" onyx was exactly 400 Wh/mi over almost 6,000 miles of spirited driving (5-10 over the limit) and it included a IL-FL road trip.

I am currently doing the same road trip with the 22" MX117's (speeds of 75-80MPH; temps 90-98; AC @70) so far 700 miles in my energy usage is mid 350's and usage since putting the wheels on is under 370 Wh/mi giving me at least 10-15% lower energy usage and better range!

Those wheels seem to meet or even beat the energy performance of the stock 20" Slipstreams

I would greatly recommend TSportline forged to anyone that is considering going for the 22" Onyx or wants a custom look.

See pics below.

P. S. Will be customizing the look further with chrome delete/red accents; front window and windshield tint; and carbon fiber side skirts and lower bumper

View attachment 236617 View attachment 236617 View attachment 236618 View attachment 236619 View attachment 236620 View attachment 236621 View attachment 236622

View attachment 236623

View attachment 236624
Great info. However, has your firmware changed also? I ask as my latest firmware has slightly improved wh/mi power usage, (without a wheel change).

Great info. However, has your firmware changed also? I ask as my latest firmware has slightly improved wh/mi power usage, (without a wheel change).
I have had multiple firmware updates like everyone else. Currently on 17.26.76
And have a notice on a new update

I don't think that there is any firmware update that'll increase your range.

In my case the update was a hardware one. Below is a screenshot of the new version ;)

IMG_9331.JPG

Nice. Are those the Continental ExtremeContacts? Any significant difference in tire noise versus the stock rubber? Did your original tires have the inner foam lining?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm considering purchasing a set of T Sportline 22s later this year, so I'm very interested in your experience.
I find those tires better - quieter as well. I'm sure it's a combination of the wheels and tires as well

• Informative
Reactions: SSedan
It's awesome to see the real world results. The factory 22" setup with tires is almost 20lbs heavier per corner than the factory 20" setup with tires.

I'm guessing with your current aftermarket 22's + tires you're only 8lbs heavier per corner than the factory 20" stock setup. Huge improvement over the stock 22's.

I think that's about as good as anyone will be able to get with a 22" setup. 22" tires are heavy to begin with, 22" tires with acoustic foam liners are even heavier. My math says that someone would need to come up with 22" wheels that weight about 25lbs to get a tire/wheel setup that matches the weight and quietness of the factory 20's. Short of carbon fiber wheels, I can't see that happening.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
It may be your new tires that are the bigger contribution to the lower wh/mi. Taking the tires out of the equation, and using the wheel weight data provided on Tsportline's website, the difference between stock 22's and the MX117 for a set of four is about 38 lbs total.

38 lbs is like a moderate grocery run. I can't imagine a load of groceries having this impact on efficiency.

But in any case, you are seeing the results you are seeing and this a good thing. I'd be curious to see long term results as your tires wear a little bit.

Thanks for sharing your results to date.

Rotating weight does matter more than cargo weight, but matters primarily in acceleration not cruising.

For this to be a really good test the tires would have been reused, even the same model tire made a couple years later is likely to have been changed some and a new tire vs. a worn out one is no good either.