Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engadget review, with video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
good and factual review. he does have a point with the glare of the instrument hood and center bezel in shiny carbon. I just messaged carbonONE to do all my interior pieces in matt/velvet finish instead to reduce the glare and the bling inside. hope that might solve that problem. good review though for someone just about to pick his roadster up at the tesla store!

I e-mailed the author about the cup holder (just watched the video and missed that he had that written in the body of the text) and he said he did indeed charge in range mode. He also said the Tesla Rep told him that heat would cut 10% of the range and the cold would cut an additional 10% of the range. Does that seem accurate?

After reading the article, sounds like he switched into performance mode for awhile on the first trip after charging in range mode. The only time I switched into performance mode (after charging in standard mode though) for 5 min, it cut my estimated range by about 20% and it stayed there even after switching back to standard mode for awhile. The estimated range slowly climbed back up to normal after a few charges. Wouldn't driving in performance mode significantly cut his range?

Last edited:
The author said in an e-mail that he was in performance mode about 20 mins on the trip up and 10 mins on the trip back. I imagine that had something to do with cutting his range. Overall, one of the best reviews of the Roadster I've read though. Really covers everything good and bad about the car and very realistic.
The car was charged in range mode to start the trip as well.

Last edited:
I e-mailed the author about the cup holder (just watch the video and missed that he had that written in the body of the text) and he said he did indeed charge in range mode. He also said the Tesla Rep told him that heat would cut 10% of the range and the cold would cut an additional 10% of the range. Does that seem accurate?

Yes, that sounds reasonable.

After reading the article, sounds like he switched into performance mode for awhile on the first trip after charging in range mode. The only time I switched into performance mode (after charging in standard mode though) for 5 min, it cut my estimated range by about 20% and it stayed there even after switching back to standard mode for awhile. The estimated range slowly climbed back up to normal after a few charges. Wouldn't driving in performance mode significantly cut his range?

Potentially yes. However I don't believe the effect would last beyond switching it off, except perhaps some minor effect due to things being hot. The estimate of the range might take a while to return to normal.

Yes, that sounds reasonable.

Potentially yes. However I don't believe the effect would last beyond switching it off, except perhaps some minor effect due to things being hot. The estimate of the range might take a while to return to normal.

When you charge in range mode, it allows charging the top 10% of the battery, as well as allowing use of the bottom 10% of the battery. As soon as you switch to performance or standard mode, it instantly takes away that bottom 10%, representing about 20 to 25 miles of range. The only way to see it again is to switch back to range mode...

Greg.