TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Engaging Autosteer at "current" speed!

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by rz-1, Nov 23, 2016.

1. rz-1

rz-1 Member

Could someone clarify the following question for me (Model S, S/W 8.0):

Say I'm driving (manually, no TACC engaged) at 25 mph at a zone that speed limit is 30 and I have configured an offset of +5mph. So the icon for TACC shows speed of 35. I can engage TACC for current speed (25) or 35 depending on push/hold or push/release of the lever.

My question: Can I do the same for Autosteer? It seems that regardless of how I engage Autosteer (pulling/releasing twice or pulling twice and hold), once it is engaged, the car speeds up to 35. The only way I can bring it to 25, is to engage and then quickly lowering the speed as it attempts to speed up. I find this annoying and sometimes even dangerous.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to control the set speed as I engage Autosteer similar to how it can be done with TACC?

2. thimel

thimel Member

First engage TACC for your present speed. Then as a separate operation a couple of seconds later, pull the lever quickly towards you twice to engage auto steer without changing the speed setting.

• Like x 1
  3. rz-1

rz-1 Member

Thanks @thimel. Yes, I know that works. I was just wondering if I can directly engage AS at current speed, which also activates TACC implicitly.

4. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Does moving the lever UP engage TACC at current speed? (From memory I think it does, but not near the car at present to try it).

If so maybe UP and then double-pull might work? (Not sure that's any better, but I suppose it avoids the HOLD part to get TACC at current speed)

5. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

The speed offset has nothing to do with either part of the autopilot system, it simply changes when you will get the alert of exceeding the recognized speed limit.

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Since a single pull engages TACC at the snap speed, I'm pretty sure there's no way around it except by engaging TACC first as mentioned above.

Before the most recent couple FW revisions, it engaged TACC even if AP denied you.

7. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Completely untrue. A single pull of the stalk will engage TACC at the offset speed.

• Like x 1