Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engaging Autosteer at "current" speed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could someone clarify the following question for me (Model S, S/W 8.0):

Say I'm driving (manually, no TACC engaged) at 25 mph at a zone that speed limit is 30 and I have configured an offset of +5mph. So the icon for TACC shows speed of 35. I can engage TACC for current speed (25) or 35 depending on push/hold or push/release of the lever.

My question: Can I do the same for Autosteer? It seems that regardless of how I engage Autosteer (pulling/releasing twice or pulling twice and hold), once it is engaged, the car speeds up to 35. The only way I can bring it to 25, is to engage and then quickly lowering the speed as it attempts to speed up. I find this annoying and sometimes even dangerous.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to control the set speed as I engage Autosteer similar to how it can be done with TACC?

Could someone clarify the following question for me (Model S, S/W 8.0):

Say I'm driving (manually, no TACC engaged) at 25 mph at a zone that speed limit is 30 and I have configured an offset of +5mph. So the icon for TACC shows speed of 35. I can engage TACC for current speed (25) or 35 depending on push/hold or push/release of the lever.

My question: Can I do the same for Autosteer? It seems that regardless of how I engage Autosteer (pulling/releasing twice or pulling twice and hold), once it is engaged, the car speeds up to 35. The only way I can bring it to 25, is to engage and then quickly lowering the speed as it attempts to speed up. I find this annoying and sometimes even dangerous.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to control the set speed as I engage Autosteer similar to how it can be done with TACC?
First engage TACC for your present speed. Then as a separate operation a couple of seconds later, pull the lever quickly towards you twice to engage auto steer without changing the speed setting.

Reactions: Saghost
I can engage TACC for current speed (25) or 35 depending on push/hold or push/release of the lever.

Does moving the lever UP engage TACC at current speed? (From memory I think it does, but not near the car at present to try it).

If so maybe UP and then double-pull might work? (Not sure that's any better, but I suppose it avoids the HOLD part to get TACC at current speed)

Since a single pull engages TACC at the snap speed, I'm pretty sure there's no way around it except by engaging TACC first as mentioned above.

Before the most recent couple FW revisions, it engaged TACC even if AP denied you.