Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engine Braking with Full Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or they could reserve a couple/few percent at the top of the battery to allow regen even when charged to "100%".

They could also apply the power regened by one set of motors to the other set of motors in the opposite direction to help maintain speed.

• Funny
Reactions: legendsk
Most places require a secondary braking system on heavy trucks. It's absolutely necessary in mountainous areas. I doubt that relying on the driver to evaluate SOC before descending meets that requirement. But perhaps a software warning/management system is acceptable.

A company is unlikely to put a semi charging station at the top of a mountain.

Reactions: Olle and scottf200
The amount of power required to get the vehicle moving fast enough to require "engine braking" will likely be more than enough to create space in the battery for regenerative braking.

Also, I suspect most of the time these trucks will only be charged to 90-95 % capacity. Same as cars.

Most places require a secondary braking system on heavy trucks. It's absolutely necessary in mountainous areas. I doubt that relying on the driver to evaluate SOC before descending meets that requirement. But perhaps a software warning/management system is acceptable.

A company is unlikely to put a semi charging station at the top of a mountain.
I’ve never had a secondary braking system on any class 8 truck and do plenty of mountain driving here in the USA so you may be referring to another country?

• Helpful
Reactions: AMPd and scottf200
If engine braking is truly required as a secondary braking system at all times, they may need a resistor. Cold battery is another condition that limits charging power.

Only other alternative I see is hard coded stop at max x% SOC and never leave truck unplugged under y% SOC in cold wether more than z hours. Else not legal to drive and it would have to be towed to a charger.

Last edited:
If engine braking is truly required as a secondary braking system at all times, they may need a resistor. Cold battery is another condition that limits charging power.

Only other alternative I see is hard coded stop at max x% SOC and never leave truck unplugged under y% SOC in cold wether more than z hours. Else not legal to drive and it would have to be towed to a charger.
I’m not sure such a thing is required. Modern truck engine brakes don’t work when engine is cold. At least the the trucks we run in our fleet.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I’m assuming they’ll trust drivers are not going to charge the batteries fully when engine braking is going to be required right away.
Never trust all people. If it’s possible but dumb to do, someone out there will do it. Toyota had issues with the first plug in Prius. Someone lived on top of a mountain and charged it full before leaving each day. Toyota had to lower the available capacity of the battery to account for it. I guess that must have been easier than just limiting regen when the battery is full.

Reactions: AMPd
Never trust all people. If it’s possible but dumb to do, someone out there will do it. Toyota had issues with the first plug in Prius. Someone lived on top of a mountain and charged it full before leaving each day. Toyota had to lower the available capacity of the battery to account for it. I guess that must have been easier than just limiting regen when the battery is full.
Aside: The Chev Bolt even named their charging option "Hilltop Reserve mode (for 2017-2018 model years) or Target Charge Level (for 2019-2022 model years) mode."

FYI regarding Tesla's strategy for regenerative braking at 100% state of charge (SOC = reported on dash).

Our 2013 Model S had zero/no regenerative braking when charged full UNTIL a firmware update in 2021 lowered the maximum range, ie, reduced available kWh of capacity at 100% reported SOC. This reserved more kWh at the top of the pack which cannot be filled using L2/L3 charging, but CAN be filled using regenerative braking.

Thus, Tesla changed the way the battery was used to provide regenerative braking at full charge, while providing lower ultimate charging capability. This does not affect us in any way, on road trips we rarely charge above 80% unless we're taking a long food break.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200