Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced auto pilot not activating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the EAP on my new model 3, when I press the scroll wheel to activate (whether set to single or double press) it doesn’t activate about 90% of the time.
But I get no error message or anything, it’s like the car isn’t registering that the scroll wheel has been pressed.
I get that under certain conditions it can’t activate but would expect some kind of message to acknowledge the scroll wheel has been pressed.
Is this just the Tesla way or is there an issue and the car isn’t registering the press?
I tried raising a ticket through Tesla service but just got an unhelpful message back telling me that autopark and summon are currently unavailable on cars without USS, which isn’t my issue!!

Two things come to mind…

Firstly, I have read reports of others having faulty scroll wheels and getting them replaced, maybe this is you.

Secondly, my own experience after 3 weeks with a 2024 M3LR with EAP…

At first I had several occasions (mainly double presses to activate auto steer) where it didn’t register the presses. I’ve since learnt that the system is not expecting a ‘double click’ of the scroll wheel, but instead two slow presses. If I do two slow/purposeful presses it engages every time without fail. If I try and double click it like a computer mouse, it fails the majority of the time. Same with the single click for TACC, slow and purposeful works every time, trying to click it like a mouse fails sometimes.

I would try slowing down your clicks, if that’s still not helping, then maybe a faulty scroll wheel?

I’m pretty sure if it can’t activate, for instance because it can’t clearly see the road markings you get a ‘negative’ beep sound.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Teslas, but if there isn't the little steering wheel icon in the top right corner, then AP is not available to activate (because the car fails to see road markings or else). But you're right, it should give you a message. As suggested, test the button responsiveness in Service Mode.

Thanks, @Fursty Ferret I have the below coming up in service mode when I press the scroll wheel - so it knows I’m pressing it but is logging some kind of fault
IMG_6933.jpeg