Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well,i bit the bullet and upgraded last night before of a 7hr drive that I have to do today to get home from Scotland. I'll trial it and at the end of the day I'll make a decision. As I can request a refund until tomorrow night. That's nice!
I'll let you know how it's going. So far I'm disappointed about the "smart" Summon, the fact that a key must be left in the car, that it's range is sooo small in UK, that in 50% of attempts it just did not want to work (with a message saying its unavailable). And when it did started, it was so slow and undecisive.. Not really a party trick I want to share yet!
The "dumb" one seemed nice though, I can see its benefits

So, what did you think? Worth it for the ££££?

Reactions: CMc1
So, what did you think? Worth it for the ££££?

Not J0hn.r, but also got it 2 days ago. You basically pay 50% of FSD for 95% of current functionality (5% being the traffic lights and stop signals - assuming that it will be relatively rare - in UK - to be first at the lights or encounter a stop sign that you want AP to handle)

I have not fully tested NOA as of this moment. Just had one commute.

For my past roadtrip and various trips on the motorway, overtaking and re-engaging AP is a pain, so I want to see the lane changes work, but could not test it yet. NOA became available to me today (yesterday I drove without seeing it even though I bought it Saturday evening).

Tried summon reverse and forward. Which works and the car is suitably paranoid about barriers. Smart Summon is available, but havent tried it. I'd probably use basic sumon fairly often.

Autopark works, but for easy to park spaces. It seems to only recognise spaces clearly marked or with cars either side.

So overall, hard to tell, but I think the 4k price tag is worth it for what was 6k at time of purchase. It does count towards FSD price, which I might get once the re-write proves itself.

In concusion is a nice aid and probably worth 3.8k

Currently, it only uses the ultrasonic sensors which is why it needs objects each side to guide it in - probably not the best solution if you defensively park away from other vehicles.

Its actually a bit worse than that. There are a number of trickly charging spots in my office. Mainly obscured by concrete columns jutting into the space. Tried autopark and it almost hit the column:

parking.JPG

I usually park slightly diaganaly there as the space is wide except for a narrow entrance.

NOA:

What I noticed on my commute, not all dual carriageways (with at least 2 lanes to allow overtake) will engage NOA. Basically Autopilot will not suggest overtake or lane change to you, NOA will. And even when NOA suggests a lane change to overtake, you still have to confirm (irritating). And of course lane changes are performed by a nervous learner.

So it still goes as others have said:

NOA says change lanes
You indicate
Still indicating
Car moves into the next lane ~ 5 seconds later - going at the same slow speed
Car slowwwooooly speeds up. ~ 1MPH/sec acceleration

Basically useless for agressive overtaking of any kind. But if you are on a long roadtrip through France, doing 130 and overtaking lorries doing 90 it's probably great. Especially since it checks the blind spot for you.

So if you have a chain of cars in the overtake lane on the M25, forget it... It will not merge unless you have a 3-4 articulated lorry sized gap.

Largely unrelated, but also noticed the new speed sign recognition doesent work on temporary average speed signs... Which is kind of the main use case for me...

Reactions: Gatsojon
It seems to be the size of the sign..... It is much happier with small signs. Extra Large ones on the motorways are ignored.

Possibly because they are worried about picking up signs on large billboards that are actually adverts and not signs? not sure.

NOA says change lanes
You indicate
Still indicating
Car moves into the next lane ~ 5 seconds later - going at the same slow speed
Car slowwwooooly speeds up. ~ 1MPH/sec acceleration

Basically useless for agressive overtaking of any kind. But if you are on a long roadtrip through France, doing 130 and overtaking lorries doing 90 it's probably great. Especially since it checks the blind spot for you.

So if you have a chain of cars in the overtake lane on the M25, forget it... It will not merge unless you have a 3-4 articulated lorry sized gap.

Thats indicative of the car not getting the feedback that you are in control before the lane change. Before every lane change, the car checks that you are holding the wheel, ie the nag check. Its not always obvious (I am looking at the road not the screen) and sometimes ends with the blue nag if you are too slow to notice, but firm hold (to satisfy the nag) of the wheel is key to allowing the lane change to start promptly and get into the smaller gaps. It doesn't like cars coming up at a significant speed differential though, but you wouldn't normally pull out in front of those vehicles anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000
Before every lane change, the car checks that you are holding the wheel, ie the nag check.

Yeah, that might be it. I was a bit nervous holding the wheel too firmly to prevent the lane change. Will try it a bit more on the way back home today.... Also dont want to look like a nervous driver by signalling for 30 sec and then not changing even with the driver giving way when Tesla things there isnt enough room....

on anything that meets the NoA criteria the car will not detect any speed signs.

Seems a bit backwards...?

need it to detect consruction areas on NoA... Well maybe in the future.

Another thing I'm unsure of... On NoA to exit it asks you to confirm lane change left (if you are not in the left most lane for the exit coming up. Will it ever do lane changes on NoA without confirmation? Is than an FSD thing?

There is a Tesla blog and some news articles from 2019 describing an option to turn confirmations off...

Introducing a More Seamless Navigate on Autopilot

But I cant find this option in the car...

Yeah, that might be it. I was a bit nervous holding the wheel too firmly to prevent the lane change. Will try it a bit more on the way back home today.... Also dont want to look like a nervous driver by signalling for 30 sec and then not changing even with the driver giving way when Tesla things there isnt enough room....
There’s always Mad Max mode...

Seems a bit backwards...?

need it to detect consruction areas on NoA... Well maybe in the future.

Another thing I'm unsure of... On NoA to exit it asks you to confirm lane change left (if you are not in the left most lane for the exit coming up. Will it ever do lane changes on NoA without confirmation? Is than an FSD thing?

There is a Tesla blog and some news articles from 2019 describing an option to turn confirmations off...

Introducing a More Seamless Navigate on Autopilot

But I cant find this option in the car...
Not an option in the UK yet. Only Australia and US

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger and Yev000

As already mentioned, NoA needs lane change confirmation except when exiting via an offramp under NoA. It will do the indicate and the turn, but it will leave it far too late imho often when you think its going to pass the offramp. The big thing to watch in this scenario is if the exit flares to 2 lanes, in which case is will ping pong across both lanes (and I've witnessed even further - not one to repeat) although it is getting better if/when NoA becomes lane aware on the offramp. TBH I have learned not to use exit ramp functionality if other vehicles are around.

As for onramp - I've totally given up on it.

• Funny
Reactions: AnthonyLR
Did a road trip and used AP for the majority of the journey. I did find it a tad frustrating to disabling it/ enabling it to switch lanes, but I don't think 3.8k is a feasible fix. For someone who does do regular motorway journeys, perhaps it would be tempting.

I see it as a sales tactic to boost the end of quarter sales and a more realistic figure of what FSD should be. Interested to hear thoughts from people with FSD already as most of the features for this are what FSD had..

Reactions: pow216
a more realistic figure of what FSD should be

That's your personal valuation. You just said you wouldnt pay for lane changes, but that it would be tempting if you drove more motorway miles. There are features that cost that amount on BMW that add less value (for me) - sound and sat nav upgrades come to mind. And I think we can all agree that basic AP is allready better than most of the ICE competition - you can watch youtube comparisons for that.

I think Tesla will solve autonomy and it's just a question of time. You can bet on any given year... But evetually Tesla will be first.

I also think that when autonomy is mostly solved FSD price will be much greater...

So it's basically a bet to determine value to yourself. And of course the value there is greatly infuenced by how long you will keep the car.

I'm using this EAP purchase as a way to spread the cost. Will buy FSD before the next price increase.

That's actually an interesting thought experiment. If FSD is say 15k in 2-3 years when you come to buy a new car. And it basically turns your car into a Taxi by then, would you pay for it? I sure hope they will eventually allow you to trasfer FSD "license" to your new car.

Lets say Model 3 goes down in price and LR is £35k. Then adding FSD hypothetically adds 15-20k. Makes the car 55k. Would you buy a 35k car and maybe subscribe, or pay 55?

As already mentioned, NoA needs lane change confirmation except when exiting via an offramp under NoA. It will do the indicate and the turn, but it will leave it far too late imho often when you think its going to pass the offramp. The big thing to watch in this scenario is if the exit flares to 2 lanes, in which case is will ping pong across both lanes (and I've witnessed even further - not one to repeat) although it is getting better if/when NoA becomes lane aware on the offramp. TBH I have learned not to use exit ramp functionality if other vehicles are around.

I used to have the two lane issue as well, but it’s been a lot better on the last couple of software updates. Pretty reliably picks a lane now.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
The big thing to watch in this scenario is if the exit flares to 2 lanes, in which case is will ping pong across both lanes (and I've witnessed even further - not one to repeat) although it is getting better if/when NoA becomes lane aware on the offramp. TBH I have learned not to use exit ramp functionality if other vehicles are around.

I used to have the two lane issue as well, but it’s been a lot better on the last couple of software updates. Pretty reliably picks a lane now.

Yes, I agree. It used to behave as Vanilla Air says but it's much improved now. I even find myself talking to the car and congratulating it when it gets it right - how sad is that??

Agreed, not as bad as it once was, still not consistent enough for me on my test off ramps. But better than the time it took me outside the solid white line of the road edge and heading towards the edge then Armco.

Due to NoA not being active for first test, I didn't do my regular test but managed a couple and one I hadn't done since last year. Still pinged across the lane though, just didn't pong :oops: It did however get uncomfortably close to one edge, left things far too late but as a positive it did manage all exits without being so violent that NoA disengaged, just. An uncomfortable experience.

On ramp still tried to run me off the road at the apex. I'm still unsure whether I need to indicate to come on to main carriageway - if I do need to indicate, why run me off the road when I don't and not slow. Oh, and after joining the main carriageway, it still wanted to to change lane to the right.