Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. I was lucky enough to drive / be driven by a Model S in the US 5 years ago without all the nagging and it was a different world.

Trouble is, will Audi/Merc/VW catch up before I still the car? And why would the UK sign up to this? The US is a member of the same UN/ECE organisation and they didn't. Maybe we need JLR to catch up?

Well the option has officially gone for me too! Well at least the FOMO has too!

Intruigued to see how things develop next year with this Birdseye thing and their other updates. Meanwhile my car couldn’t decide if the Tesco man and his boxes At click and collect was a bin, a cone or a human so flickered through all three - so I don’t think my car is quite ready for much more than novelty displays of orange cones along roadworks!

So I've tested this on a 300 miles journey. Here are my findings.

Conditions:
The weather was DRENCHING.
Motorway was busy
Streets were full of water.

- navigate on autopilot worked quite well to some extent, with the below notes to keep in mind
- failing to change lanes happen if you don't have your hand on the steering wheel at some point close to when you signal. If that happens, it will cancel the lane change (half way through) just freaking other drivers behind you.
-Nudging the steering wheel before changing the lane works to upto a 90% accuracy unless there is a car coming fast on the left lane.
- if you signal and there is another car on the left, it won't turn until a space is available, but will reject if the time out of signal passes which is a little annoying. Or if you haven't had your hand on the steering wheel a little before.
- taking the slip road automatically doesn't seem perfect. It hesitate and slow down immediately. I'd give that 5/10.

Once you know the above and follow it (300 miles is a long drive so it was like a training session), you get the hang of it and it works well.

Positives:
I for one honestly couldn't see sh*t on the road when it was drenching rain at one of the stretch. At some point I looked at the dashboard, and the car autopilot can see EVERYTHING clearly. It will disengage navigate in autopilot but autopilot is on. I felt safer letting the car drive than me taking over in that stretch as it had better visibility than me.

I passed at a supercharger and questioned the signaling point to the tesla service centre. He said its regulations but they hope to remove it as they work with the regulatory.

The trip overall was an absolute breeze. I loved every bit of it and didn't arrive tired as I would normally be.

Overall feedback and score - 6.5/10 with plenty of room for improvement.

NOW, recent ncap tests, rated tesla highly more than any others on the driver assistance side and backup system, but quite low on the "driver engagement" aka the nagging! Which means other will nag the driver even more, while tesla has less nagging which pissed off Ncap hence dropped its ranking quite alot just due to that variable
Reference:
Tesla Model 3 gets penalized in Europe despite top scores in vehicle assistance and safety

Annoyance:
- Roundabouts roundabouts. When the car take a slip road, it speeds up to the upcoming roundabout. It should slow down like the Audi (which uses the GPS information) to allow you to take the roundabout.
-if I signal, and there is no space yet, the car should find the best appropriate space to change lanes, and not time out mid way through after finding a space and starting the manouver then cancelling it abruptly due to timeout and going back to its lane.

Summon:
- you really need to be very close for it to work. Useful if you have a tight garage. And useful when large puddle of water built up under the car. I reversed it so I can get in..

Autopark:
- useless in the UK. If it found the parking(and that's if!) , it will park and I will have no space to open the door. Its not trained for small parking spaces we got here in the UK. Also every car waiting for you to park will loose their patience and drive off in front of you while the car is trying to park.

Conclusion: would I keep EAP- if you are doing some motorway driving. Absolutely. If you don't, then probably not. And wait for FSD (if it would be affordable).

If FSD learns roundabouts soon, this will be a game changer IMHO.

Reactions: Yev000
Here are my findings.

Yep that's about the same for me.

I'm using EAP as a review test bench for my next purchase though. It's hard to justify FSD when you don't know how it behaves. Nice thing about Tesla is the updates.

If they add roundabouts and reduce the nag in regulations in 21 I might buy FSD, if not will probably wait till Model Y for FSD.

What you will be able to tell with Just EAP is the off/on ramp behaviour. If it starts handling lane splits much better, I'll have more confidence with unmarked roundabouts.

Autoparking is useless.... Had it pick up my driveway once (lots of space) and hit park. Got dirty looks for the learner style parking as people drove past.

Summon is pretty hit and miss. I found that its too scared of anything close. My wife standing 1 meter from the car prevented it from moving - in a completely different direction.

If I remember rightly someone said that the UK were one of the ones pushing for more regulation on this stuff the last time it was discussed (start of the year I think), not less.
Agreed, I spent some time reading the minutes of the UN/ECE meetings and the British representative who was the Chairman repeatedly would slow and dismiss recommendations from other countries for more reasonable regulations, and introduce new controls.

Bureaucracy and regulations are what made Britain great.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Well I thought about it and went out for a few more drives. My finger hovered over the "Request Refund" link several times and when it got to 23:50 on Friday night, just before the 48 hours was up, I finally pressed it.

Honestly I want what it promises, but without the nagging. I would pay 10k to have that. If and when that changes, I will take out a subscription (assuming the prices are not a joke.

Agreed, I spent some time reading the minutes of the UN/ECE meetings and the British representative who was the Chairman

Which part of Coventry did he work in?

guys, first post in this forum so please go easy on me.

I got a mid 2018 model s and it doesn't have EAP. On the Tesla App Upgrades section this is coming at £3,400. I know no one knows the future but do you think this price will go up (or down maybe, if I am lucky)? Worth it at this price?

It says I need to have Autopilot to buy EAP or FSD, does it mean I need to first get spend £2900 and buy AP, then spend another £3400? That would be ridiculous.
Why I am getting FSD option when I have only HW2.5 computer!

tesla.PNG

It says I need to have Autopilot to buy EAP or FSD, does it mean I need to first get spend £2900 and buy AP, then spend another £3400? That would be ridiculous.

View attachment 689361
First up Atti, the bad news. Yep, you need to have Autopilot already. There weren’t many sold without it to be fair but here’s the good news; I cocked up during COVID conditions and bought a 2017 Model S without it too…. Doh! So you’re not alone. I coughed up for it.

As for price, well, it’s a guessing game which way they’ll go. They’ve sat pretty steady for a while. Many of us had an Enhanced Autopilot 2 week preview on model 3s (didn’t have the Model S then) but it was at the height of lockdown so many people never got to test it on a motorway much. I did for about 20mins going to click and collect at the supermarket and that was it. Price was an offer but couldn’t use it enough to make the decision.

They'll upgrade the computer as part of the FSD purchase for you. It's only when the subscription comes here does it become an issue as you'd have to pay for the upgrade yourself before subscribing (its likely to be about £1k). Outright purchase of FSD would still include it in the price

guys, first post in this forum so please go easy on me.

I got a mid 2018 model s and it doesn't have EAP. On the Tesla App Upgrades section this is coming at £3,400. I know no one knows the future but do you think this price will go up (or down maybe, if I am lucky)? Worth it at this price?
I really doubt the outright purchase will come down in price, I don't think it ever has before (I think the previous offer was EAP rather than FSD). In the US however they have introduced a monthly subscription of $199 for FSD, it's reasonable to assume that will come to the UK at some point. Depends how long you are likely to keep the car whether that is cheaper or more expensive.
Having bought FSD with my Model 3 2 years ago I would probably do a subscription next time if offered, hard to see a residual value on resale.

Hi Jimbo, Are you saying I need buy Autopilot first. My car has basic Autopilot Safety feature which allows lane detection, departure warning (and correction). I see cones and motorcycle and people on the speedo (MCU2), how much shall I budget for EAP? £3400 or £2900 + £3400?

tesla2.PNG

First up Atti, the bad news. Yep, you need to have Autopilot already. There weren’t many sold without it to be fair but here’s the good news; I cocked up during COVID conditions and bought a 2017 Model S without it too…. Doh! So you’re not alone. I coughed up for it.

As for price, well, it’s a guessing game which way they’ll go. They’ve sat pretty steady for a while. Many of us had an Enhanced Autopilot 2 week preview on model 3s (didn’t have the Model S then) but it was at the height of lockdown so many people never got to test it on a motorway much. I did for about 20mins going to click and collect at the supermarket and that was it. Price was an offer but couldn’t use it enough to make the decision.
Thanks for your response Jimbo. Are you saying I need buy Autopilot first. My car has basic Autopilot Safety feature which allows lane detection, departure warning (and correction). I see cones and motorcycle and people on the speedo (MCU2), how much shall I budget for EAP? £3400 or £2900 + £3400?

tesla2.PNG

I see cones and motorcycle and people on the speedo (MCU2), how much shall I budget for EAP? £3400 or £2900 + £3400?

The 'preview' on the screen doesn't relate to function, and if you don't have AP as 'purchased' on the App, ifs going to be £2900+£3400 for EAP, and more for FSD.

I managed to go from no AP to FSD for £4500 when Tesla was desperate for cash a few years ago. Tesla might get desperate for cash again, but it seems unlikely.

Your best option is to go for subscription once it arrives in the UK. Currently the upfront cost isn't worth the sums Tesla ask, however am sure you have seen the FSD beta 9.0 videos from the US. The potential of the software is massive and intheory EAP will also get the new software code once its rolled out across the fleet.

Just don't expect our cars in the UK to get the new software quickly, Tesla software teams are working flat out for the US market and it'll be another 12 month I suspect we see anything close to FSD beta in UK cars.