Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is this IS out in the real world, and worse in customer hands! It’s a barely working gimmick. There’s no reason for customers to have it yet, it’s clearly alpha and should stay behind the curtains with the devs. The stuff that’s missing is huge they aren’t getting a real benefit from customer cars to validate a working system.

You are making the case for why Tesla should wait. And you might be right. Maybe Tesla will go with option #2 and only release ES when it is "ready". Let's not jump the gun and assume that Tesla will release ES before it is ready. Regardless, Tesla won't release ES if it is unsafe.

The problem is this IS out in the real world, and worse in customer hands! It’s a barely working gimmick. There’s no reason for customers to have it yet, it’s clearly alpha and should stay behind the curtains with the devs. The stuff that’s missing is huge they aren’t getting a real benefit from customer cars to validate a working system.
Barely working gimmicks have been released before, so there’s a likelihood that behavior will continue...

Reactions: croman
Yes - this is what I'd like to see.

Those people who think it is not ready - don't use it !!! How difficult is that ?!

ps : As we say - shipping is a feature ;)
Obviously us skeptics aren’t going to use it (except in controlled tests in empty parking lots). It’s the people who take the website description literally that I worry about.
I may be a concern troll though :D
Part of me wants them to release it as is to see what happens.

I want them to release it because they promised it by December 2016.

The pesky accountability thing. It doesn’t suddenly disappear because time has passed.

But if people get hurt or property damage occurs, then it would not be worth it to roll it out only to satisfy the “accountability” and “promise” factors. It would be unethical (I am not suggesting that Tesla is driven by ethics).

I mean, I certainly understand and agree Tesla never should have promised something that they clearly couldn’t deliver on-time, but it is always “buyer beware” in this world.

Not only is there evidence that Tesla's system builds a 3D model of the world, but Tesla themselves have also said as much and provided graphic demonstrations. If you don't see any evidence of this it's because you are not looking.

You said it yourself. "demonstrations." They don't represent anything more than aspirational goal. Tesla showed us perfectionally functional demonstration of FSD in 2016..

I really can't believe you think some demo represents anything functional. That's why it is called "demo".

And Tesla clearly states those features are FUTURE features that have a number of important hurdles to clear before being released.
Are we talking about the same company?
summon2.jpg

Well, with Enhanced Summon, “the driver” is behind the wheel - remotely. “The driver” is the one whose finger is pressing the virtual “drive” button on their phone!
Will they be the one charged with reckless driving for being on the wrong side of the road?

I wonder if we'll see people purposefully trying to crash in to Teslas in summon mode. Seems like easy money for an insurance scammer and the potential for a car upgrade. Simply run into the driverless Tesla on the wrong side of the road. Get out and take lots of photos. Tesla owners are rich.

Even with teslacam video it's likely to show the car doing stupid stuff. Driving on the wrong side, driving over car park lines. Self incriminating rather than providing a good defence.

Will insurance even cover Tesla owners if there's an accident in summon mode? Usually there's a clause about maintaining proper operation of the motor vehicle. I'm not sure a finger held to your phone will be good enough.

Anyway I'm thinking Christmas for the summon release. There's no way it's going to be ready, it'll be close to the end of the year and everybody will be distracted with their families at xmas. If you had to release a subpar product before the end of the year it's the best time to do it. Marketing can spin it as Tesla's christmas present.

More importantly you wouldn't want to release it just before xmas. The worst time of the year for parking lots... Imagine the road rage :)

Last edited:
Will they be the one charged with reckless driving for being on the wrong side of the road?

I wonder if we'll see people purposefully trying to crash in to Teslas in summon mode. Seems like easy money for an insurance scammer and the potential for a car upgrade. Simply run into the driverless Tesla on the wrong side of the road. Get out and take lots of photos. Tesla owners are rich.

Even with teslacam video it's likely to show the car doing stupid stuff. Driving on the wrong side, driving over car park lines. Self incriminating rather than providing a good defence.

Will insurance even cover Tesla owners if there's an accident in summon mode? Usually there's a clause about maintaining proper operation of the motor vehicle. I'm not sure a finger held to your phone will be good enough.

Anyway I'm thinking Christmas for the summon release. There's no way it's going to be ready, it'll be close to the end of the year and everybody will be distracted with their families at xmas. If you had to release a subpar product before the end of the year it's the best time to do it. Marketing can spin it as Tesla's christmas present.

More importantly you wouldn't want to release it just before xmas. The worst time of the year for parking lots... Imagine the road rage :)
You make some very good points and raise some valid concerns here. Time will tell. I’m sure we will be reading much on this in the days, weeks and months following release.

You said it yourself. "demonstrations." They don't represent anything more than aspirational goal. Tesla showed us perfectionally functional demonstration of FSD in 2016..

I really can't believe you think some demo represents anything functional. That's why it is called "demo".

I didn't make the claim that AutoPilot currently in wide release uses a 3D model (that will require hardware V.3). I was responding directly to this claim:

Some FSD manufacturers are replicating that by building a 3D model of the world, but there is no evidence so far that Tesla is doing that.

I pointed out that's exactly where Tesla is going with this (using cameras to build a 3D representation of the driving environment). Please try to follow the conversation.

Maybe English is your second language? Because the word "will" denotes future tense, not present.

The future tense is that the car will come to you after you summon it (and not before). Under FSD, Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs and Automatic driving on city streets are both listed under "Coming later this year." Enhanced/Smart Summon should be listed in the same category and not in the category of current capabilities.

I want them to release it because they promised it by December 2016.

The pesky accountability thing. It doesn’t suddenly disappear because time has passed.
I agree. They should release it.

BTW, it looks to me Enhanced Summon is divorced from general AP, leading to all these issues. Just make it drive using general driving rules - but slower.

My guess is - Enh Summon was thought to be easy and they kept hacking the procedural code thinking they can easily get to it if they made that once more change. After a year they are still only at "almost doesn't suck" phase. If they had properly analyzed what it would take to get to enh summon - they would have probably designed a better solution and probably would have been closer to human level parking lot driving.

In many jurisdictions traffic laws are not enforceable in privately owned parking lots. Maybe it will be geofenced? What makes it really tricky is that traffic laws can be enforced in publicly owned parking lots. Obviously this tongue in cheek as I'm sure there will be plenty of disclaimers in the manual that will basically limit it to use in your own driveway.