Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enough Superchargers for Thanksgiving?

Enough superchargers for everyone?

• Yes

Votes: 75 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 34.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah sure, maybe - either way the key point i'm trying to make is that two stalls split the available power, so a full station will always be limited.

Here's a shot inside the power cabinet for a supercharger, note the 10x power units

supercharger.jpg

You mean the twelve units? Yes, that's well established. Internally each unit is the same as the charger modules installed in the car.

The split isn't a fixed 50-50 except in the urban chargers with the smaller cords and pedestals.

For everywhere else, it can feed the full 120 kW that one car can take - and still have a little left over for a second car (I think most modern installations are 145 kW using 12 kW cores, so presumably they'd give two to the new car and up to 24 kW while the other car keeps ten.)

I stopped at Tejon Ranch (8 of 24 stalls in use) and Kettleman City (12 of 40 stalls in use) last night. Plenty of charging capacity on pre-Thanksgiving-Tuesday at these very popular Supercharging locations... but I suspect today (Wednesday) will be a zoo.

According to TeslaFi, I spent 26 minutes at Tejon and 23 minutes at Kettleman.

No issues with charge rate at either location. The screenshot below (117kW/467MPH) is from Kettleman City.

tesla_supercharger1.jpg

Cheers,
-Mark

Went to San Clemente Supercharer today where I took the last open spot around 1pm. Came back to unplug with 3 Model Xs in line. They have 21 chargers and was full. Never seen a line there before. I would say 10 spots where Model 3s.

I'm planning on driving to San Francisco on Thanksgiving. Hope the lines are not too long.
Damn... San Clemente is pretty good usually. My co worker who lives there in an apartment just got his model 3...

I'm amazed that there is STILL such a problem in California with the "idle charge" fee in place.

Are people in California so "well off" that they don't care about the SC idle fee's?
I think the root cause of the problem is the free supercharging.. you drive close to a supercharger it’s tempting to just go charge and go for a free ice cream.. that’s especially true when the supercharger is in a nice location.

Lake Elsinore Supercharger had 3 of it's 21 stalls busy when I was there this afternoon. Supposed to be the busiest travel day of the year.

Guess it is hit and miss. Urban areas probably hit the hardest as people go to visit their relatives.

Bet that tomorrow, the actual Thanksgiving day, will be relatively uncrowded.

• Informative
Reactions: redscott
Stopped at the Atascadero Supercharger yesterday around 1:30 pm and 3 of 8 stalls were open for a few minutes. Line got up to 3 cars waiting while I was charging, but I don’t think anyone had to wait more than 10 minutes or so. Then I got a destination charge at Ojai Valley Inn and drove to Dana Point today for another destination charge. Things are good so far on this, my first real road trip...

Albuquerque NM Supercharger Station was at 2/6 to 4/6 (briefly) from 4 to 5 PM Wednesday, the arrival hour for those of heading there for the holiday. No lines, no waiting. No other Supercharger options in the area either.

The Utah Model 3 I saw at Farmington was also at Albuquerque since it was the destination for both of us. 3 owner said that it was his first road trip in his new car.

Last edited:
Chicagoland and surrounding IL/WI/IN Superchargers are not crowded at noon on Thanksgiving.

Side note: I just learned that the SC stall availability graphics on the map are slow to update after turning on the car, and there's apparently no way to visually tell if it's displaying current or old data, so there's a real risk of getting incorrect information. (Yet another painfully basic UI design failure by Tesla. :rolleyes:)

upload_2018-11-22_12-22-45.jpeg

upload_2018-11-22_12-24-3.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure if its mentioned here already but the Buena Park service center actually got an extra set of Urban chargers (not installed yet) specifically to handle the holiday ramp up. Not exactly sure where they plan on putting them.

Curious, are chargers at dealers and service centers open to public and are they considered superchargers? 24/7? My closest one is Buena Park, took delivery out of Costa Mesa.

Curious, are chargers at dealers and service centers open to public and are they considered superchargers? 24/7? My closest one is Buena Park, took delivery out of Costa Mesa.

That one used to show up on the supercharger map with the occupancy meter but was removed some months ago. I think it is open to public if you can find a spot during the day, but now the service center uses them all day to charge the cars to prep for deliveries. They might even close the entrance gate at night, too.

Some of the larger supercharger stations have a web portal up on the wall, but it is not available to us peons. :( We should have access to that display to help plan trips and timing. Proper timing would help alleviate peak time crowding. ARE YOU LISTENING ELON? o_O

Doubt it would be made available. Kinda proprietary information.

It's already public information. You just have to be sitting inside a Tesla vehicle to view it.

The only compelling reason that I can think of for Tesla not to make it more easily accessible outside of a vehicle is the potential negative PR from anyone being able to see when SC stations are full.

I remember for a few days (or weeks(?)) after Tesla first made this information available on the map, some enterprising individual found a way to access that info and created a website with a map that showed all of the stall availability data in real time. But Tesla soon shut it down.