Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enough Superchargers for Thanksgiving?

Enough superchargers for everyone?

• Yes

Votes: 75 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 34.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hint,

This past Saturday every single SC in the East and South Bay SF areas was backed from ~8AM to ~6PM. Appeaared to be mostly locals from listening to them and watching all the shoppers shopping. All the ones I used had a 40 minute limit. There were a couple of cars using SCs when I got in line that were still there when I left after 40 minutes.

The I-5 corridor between the Bay & LA have been a problem the last few years and while there's more capacity I expect there will be some meaty Supercharger lines for those traveling Wednesday & Sunday.

I just stopped at The Kettleman City supercharger yesterday driving back to SF, that station with its 40 stalls and the lounge is IMPRESSIVE, I'm curious to see what it looks like on Wednesday.

I'll be driving North on I-5 to Southern Oregon on Thanksgiving, I'm a bit nervous given the spacing of the stations heading north. The Mt Shasta stop is a MUST stop station, but fortunately they have 20 stalls and I've never seen more than 5 cars there previously. Really wish they had a coffee shop there.

The I-5 corridor between the Bay & LA have been a problem the last few years and while there's more capacity I expect there will be some meaty Supercharger lines for those traveling Wednesday & Sunday.

I just stopped at The Kettleman City supercharger yesterday driving back to SF, that station with its 40 stalls and the lounge is IMPRESSIVE, I'm curious to see what it looks like on Wednesday.

I'll be driving North on I-5 to Southern Oregon on Thanksgiving, I'm a bit nervous given the spacing of the stations heading north. The Mt Shasta stop is a MUST stop station, but fortunately they have 20 stalls and I've never seen more than 5 cars there previously. Really wish they had a coffee shop there.

I'm amazed that there is STILL such a problem in California with the "idle charge" fee in place.

Are people in California so "well off" that they don't care about the SC idle fee's?

I'm amazed that there is STILL such a problem in California with the "idle charge" fee in place.

Are people in California so "well off" that they don't care about the SC idle fee's?

Or maybe they are still using the charger?

Yeah, what kbecks13 said. On the holiday weeks in California it isn't people leaving their cars in the spot that's the problem, it's basic capacity and throughput.

Reactions: David99 and P85_DA

What is your time worth? For many people who buy Teslas in California the idle fees are in inconvenience and cost of doing business. If they raise them to $10/minute that will change some but not completely eliminate the problem. There is a $400 minimum fine for driving in the HOA lanes illegally, but no points. I had coworkers who got caught at least once a month and said that 20 minute vs 1.5 hour commute made it just a cost of doing business. Even though I now live in Nevada I still have my Fastpass and drive in the Express lanes whenever I am in the SF Bay Area.

I had comments from 2 workers that they noticed the superchargers were full this past weekend.

This is Framingham, MA Shoppers World/Logan Express ones (8 bay).

This is GREAT, at the moment.

I think Tesla may have to expand some hot spots very soon.

They should also implement some sort of electronic queue so things don't get ugly, and I highly suspect things could get ugly real quick and that kind of news Tesla needs to avoid BEFORE it happens.

I'm supposed to drive from California to Arizona this week, and I can't bring myself to load the car up and have the 2 kids and my wife in there for 7-8 hours. Snacking will be required, and I'm just not ready...

Otherwise, I imagine that the supercharging stations between San Diego and Phoenix will have a few more cars than normal, but not overly busy. I wouldn't dream of travelling within California and relying on the supercharging stations. No thank you.

Reactions: P85_DA
More importantly, will I need to wait in line at the Costco filling stations as I travel. I like to fill up my gas car there when I travel as it is usually several cents cheaper than at the other stations :)

I also need to know which airlines will not have long lines over the Holidays. I hate to stand in long lines or get stuck in middle seats :)

My response to the OP. On busy holidays or special events, it will increase the chances of visiting a full Supercharger. You can use your display to determine which stations along your route will have the most empty stalls real time, and plan accordingly.

If you wish, you can always take a look at stations along your route the day before, and perhaps alter your route to find the best chances for empty stalls.

Since a Superchargers demand is fluid, there will be no perfect way to know in advance just how many cars will be using it when you arrive.

Tesla has been studying the areas of most congestion, and expanded service to those areas. Some areas have had additional stalls put in, and some have had additional Superchargers installed in those busy areas.

Problems seem to be most common in Urban areas with heavy Tesla ownership. The travelers need to share the stalls with local owners using them repeatedly.

If I lived in CA and was taking a long trip, I would rent an ICE car. I hate to say it but I would.
I also would never travel beyond the range of a Tesla (in any car) on Thanksgiving. You all are crazy to do that. The traffic is just not worth it. Visit some other time.
Thanksgiving has no religious significance. It celebrates dining with an indigenous population before we killed them all. And you would travel in traffic and wait in line to charge for that? Americans are crazy (and I am one).
I have lived away from family most of my life. All it takes is one travel disaster to stop the T-day craziness. I will never fly and I will never drive long distances on Wed or Sunday. That is for the truly irrational. (Last year I did take the train on Wednesday and the darn thing was an hour late - ridiculous).

Reactions: KJD and MarkBrokeIt
I have to make a drive to SF this week and I kind of regret selling the Prius. I can make it to SF in 1 tank of gas non-stop in a Prius around 5 hours. Looks like in a Tesla it'll be 6.5 hours if there aren't any lines at each supercharger. Every planner I used told me to stop before and after Kettleman.

As the story notes they've missed, by thousands of superchargers, both this and last years previous expansion goals- no reason to think that will change in 2019.

Superchargers cost capital- and Tesla has a LOT of things vying for those dollars right now, including many likely to, unlike more superchargers, actually be profitable.... (Gigafactory 3 and in theory 4, model Y, Roadster 2, eventual pickup truck, etc)

Doubtless they'll add more, M3 volume will give them no choice, but it won't be at nearly the pace they keep suggesting they intend.

If I lived in CA and was taking a long trip, I would rent an ICE car. I hate to say it but I would.
I also would never travel beyond the range of a Tesla (in any car) on Thanksgiving. You all are crazy to do that. The traffic is just not worth it. Visit some other time.
Thanksgiving has no religious significance. It celebrates dining with an indigenous population before we killed them all. And you would travel in traffic and wait in line to charge for that? Americans are crazy (and I am one).
I have lived away from family most of my life. All it takes is one travel disaster to stop the T-day craziness. I will never fly and I will never drive long distances on Wed or Sunday. That is for the truly irrational. (Last year I did take the train on Wednesday and the darn thing was an hour late - ridiculous).

That's great that you can do that! With even a moderate sized family it can be difficult to schedule with various vacation times. For me it's one of the few times a year I can see extended family members together so for me it's worth the slog