Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ensenada, Mexico | Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, did you decide to make this trip just because of the new supercharger there? Or was it something you would have done regardless, either still with the Tesla but slower charging south of the border or in an ICEV?

I learned that Tesla opened a supercharger there and then thought, why not. Never driven across the border. Let's see what life is like south from us. Food is great, your dollar stretches about 4x further and all the fresh churros.

My model S always gives me a sense of adventure and daring.

Sorry to step in randomly, but can I also mention that this is another reason we need a Mexico forum? Not that it’s the creator of the thread’s fault, but this was posted in the Model S: Charging & Battery forum, which is pretty separate from unique Supercharging locations. There are already two Mexican Supercharger threads and this one, all in different forums. Can we have a Mexico forum so we can find our information more easily? @Doug_G ?

When I drove to Mexico City, insurance ran a bit over $40 a day for my new P3D last year. I think it's a lot more straightforward to drive to Baja though wrt permitting the car, etc. There, if you don't know what you're doing, it wouldn't be hard to have the car impounded by the policia.

68039196-3892-4E0B-87F7-093D41A667B0.jpeg
Didn’t know there was a super charger in Baja. Typically use charging destination at wineries in Valle. I noticed it on the map and decided to check it out. Attached is the pic. They have the spaces closed off which initially made me think they were out of order. But we moved the tape and slurped on some 150kw goodness. :)

Thinking about taking a trip down here. Any advice you can give? Places to go, places to avoid? Really just any info you have.
I kind of drove right through Tijuana -- Ensenada is a nice town, though, I thought. The hotel with the charger has a guard and a gate; just fine behind there. Be cautious, and don't drive around at night much south of Ensenada. It's not the people you have to be afraid of, so much as the wildlife!
Send a report once you're back; we'd love to hear about how your trip went!

Charged here for a few minutes today. There were 3 of us here charging. The driveway ramp on the way to the chargers is steep and you have to go diagonal on the ramp to not scrape. Speeds were good and the hotel where these are located is very nice.

This is a pipe dream but it would be so cool if Tesla built out the supercharger route down to Cabo. It would be a very adventurous drive down the Baja peninsula and I’m sure plenty of Tesla folks would love to do that drive. Heck, I might do it myself on my Model 3 with just destination chargers because I’m adventurous.

I fully agree on not driving at night over there. Some of the lesser traveled roads tend to have faded markings which makes things hard to see and also potholes and random speed bumps can sneak up on you at night which would be brutal if you hit a speed bump at full speed. Stick to driving during the day time and you’ll be fine.
4BC452CE-20E4-4AC0-B288-FBAFF6A1AAE0.jpeg

Last edited: