Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entertainment system baffles me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All interesting - and I finally set up my Spotify account on the M3.

One similar question about the radio;

In the UK the car seems to default to the DAB radio. Sometimes if there is no DAB signal and there is an equivalent FM frequency for the station you are listening to the car will switch to FM. However were I live the DAB signal is not great. So it is often better to list to FM, even if it gets a bit hissy at times. For speech programs this is a must or you miss some critical part of the discussion.

So - how do I tell the car not to us DAB and just to stick to FM? Does not appear to be any settings for that.

You could try tweeting Elon, a small hope at best, but, better than any other car company...

First of all, thank you for everyone who pointed out that the car has an owner's manual. At least none of you used the usual RTFM which is so prevalent elsewhere on these forums. But of course, if you go back and read my original post, you will see that the issues I raised are not covered in the manual, which I of course, read before I made the post.

After the kind replies from the rest of you, with all due respect, I'm still left with my original questions.

1) How am I streaming if I never logged into anything, because I keep finding a "streaming" page which has a login at the bottom which I never used.
2) Why am I able to search for, and pull up distant radio stations which appear to come from a service called "Tuned In" , but I never logged into or subscribed to that either?
3) Why does that service find some stations I'm listening to, including their logos (WCBS New York, WINS New York), but when I listen to the stations, what I get are in reality Canadian stations on the same frequency?
4) And why can't "recents" be deleted, leaving you with a string of clutter?

Please understand, I love my car, I'm sold on Tesla, and I'm totally on board with being a part of this wonderful family and ecosystem. But in any wonderful family, it's ok to talk after he leaves the house about the crazy uncle who bores everyone with stories about his Hawaiian vacation. In other words it's ok not to like the entertainment interface, to not even understand it, and to point out that it needs to be fixed. And that doesn't mean I'm somehow a traitor to the cause.

Thank you.

And yes, it should have been explained in the owner's manual. But it wasn't. And that's one more thing that should be fixed.

Phil, let me try to help.
1. Streaming is logged in already to the Slacker account. The login at the bottom is if you also have a Spotify account you would like to link to your car.
2. TunedIN is streamed internet radio. That also comes with the car connectivity (first year I think is included...after that, a monthly fee applies)
3. Not every station is on TunedIN. It's not a universal standard like FM. This mostly has to do with if the stations are under "radio.com" or some other competitor of TunedIN.
4. The recents is just how the interface works. Like others have said, you can submit a request via Tesla support or tweet Tesla/Elon.

Now for intuitive...it takes a little getting used to. For example, when using voice search while using "streaming" without Spotify...it will use just that active service to find things. If you have Spotify logged in...you can click the Spotify icon at the bottom (not sure if it only shows up if you sign in?). In my case...I click the Spotify..then I use the voice search "play artist name...album title" and away it goes. Works really well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz
Also...you can hide your recents just by swiping down a bit more. I know it's not the fix you would like...but it at least hides the clutter.

Wow, thanks so much for your reply---that's really kind of you. So the "login" pages at the bottom of the streaming and the "tuned in" pages I can pretty much ignore, no problem? (I don't have a Spotify account). Still confused why it "finds" stations you are looking for, even includes their logos, which is really cool, but then when you listen they are actually Canadian counterparts.

Maybe in an update the company will streamline the interface. It's still an amazing system. And I'm paying a LOT less than I used to pay with Sirius XM (Which I did like). The audio quality on this is far superior to XM.

Thanks very much!

I see you are in the same area as me (Chicago). The main local station that I can't really find is 670 AM (The Score). They are on radio.com. In the TunedIN interface...I do believe if you dig around the menus in there...they have the stations organized by metro area...and there is a Chicago area in there.

The interface you see now is the improved one. There used to be no Spotify option (which was something I wanted pretty bad). I'd love to see a SiriusXM app option too, but there might be some other licensing issues around that. The Slacker\streaming quality is pretty good. Hard to argue that. For me the voice controls kind of make up for the shortcomings. You can ask your car to "navigate to Superdawg" and it knows what the hell you're talking about. How cool is that?

Maybe in an update the company will streamline the interface.

wishful thinking. it has been this way since the car was first released three years ago, and they updated the S and X software to match this. i doubt they'll ever change it at this point, i'd be happy if they just make it work 100% of the time...my FM radio is a complete disaster and has been for over a year.

I'd love to see a SiriusXM app option too, but there might be some other licensing issues around that.

this would be awesome, but there are two issues:

1) it would be using data, so i can't see them adding it and allowing further use of their data.

and 2) it would be using data, so it would be useless in areas where there's no data.

you can install a traditional satellite radio system if you want one and have it look like it came that way from the factory. the problem there, as i mentioned above, is that even the FM radio sucks. i have a service appt scheduled and i'm hopeful that will fix my radio issues...but i'm not optimistic at this point, based on other things i've seen in this forum.

if you're interested in installing traditional satellite though, here's how:

Installing SiriusXM Satellite Radio in a Tesla Model 3

there is also a bluetooth dock available, but the downside there is that you can't have your phone and the radio connected at the same time.

First of all, thank you for everyone who pointed out that the car has an owner's manual. At least none of you used the usual RTFM which is so prevalent elsewhere on these forums. But of course, if you go back and read my original post, you will see that the issues I raised are not covered in the manual, which I of course, read before I made the post.

After the kind replies from the rest of you, with all due respect, I'm still left with my original questions.

1) How am I streaming if I never logged into anything, because I keep finding a "streaming" page which has a login at the bottom which I never used.
2) Why am I able to search for, and pull up distant radio stations which appear to come from a service called "Tuned In" , but I never logged into or subscribed to that either?
3) Why does that service find some stations I'm listening to, including their logos (WCBS New York, WINS New York), but when I listen to the stations, what I get are in reality Canadian stations on the same frequency?
4) And why can't "recents" be deleted, leaving you with a string of clutter?

Please understand, I love my car, I'm sold on Tesla, and I'm totally on board with being a part of this wonderful family and ecosystem. But in any wonderful family, it's ok to talk after he leaves the house about the crazy uncle who bores everyone with stories about his Hawaiian vacation. In other words it's ok not to like the entertainment interface, to not even understand it, and to point out that it needs to be fixed. And that doesn't mean I'm somehow a traitor to the cause.

Thank you.

And yes, it should have been explained in the owner's manual. But it wasn't. And that's one more thing that should be fixed.

1. streaming just means continuous data pull. some services will stream you data without needing to be logged-in. you can read all the posts on this forum without logging into your account.

2. same as above. tunein might or might not serve data themselves, but mostly they are a content aggregator. logging in helps personalize your playlists and sync it across devices and etc, but you dont need that to simply access content.

3. ask the service/source. if you're tuning in directly to a radio station e.g. through Digital Radio, the radio station broadcasts the logo. if you're tuning into a "station" through TuneIn, TuneIn is broadcasting the logo (and there is no such thing as 'frequency')

1. streaming just means continuous data pull. some services will stream you data without needing to be logged-in. you can read all the posts on this forum without logging into your account.

2. same as above. tunein might or might not serve data themselves, but mostly they are a content aggregator. logging in helps personalize your playlists and sync it across devices and etc, but you dont need that to simply access content.

3. ask the service/source. if you're tuning in directly to a radio station e.g. through Digital Radio, the radio station broadcasts the logo. if you're tuning into a "station" through TuneIn, TuneIn is broadcasting the logo (and there is no such thing as 'frequency')

Thank you for that. I know there is no such thing as frequency. But what I'm saying is that when you see WCBS 880 complete with that station's logo, if you click on it, you get a station which is on 880 in Canada. If you click on WINS from New York (which is on 1010 on a real radio) you get a station on 1010 from Canada.

Thank you for that. I know there is no such thing as frequency. But what I'm saying is that when you see WCBS 880 complete with that station's logo, if you click on it, you get a station which is on 880 in Canada. If you click on WINS from New York (which is on 1010 on a real radio) you get a station on 1010 from Canada.

I think 99% of your confusion if due to the search feature.
Suspect the vast majority of owners rarely use this feature unless verbally asking the car to play a song (which is done via slacker)

Otherwise search aside it is simple to navigate you have.
1.) slacker as the main source for music ; the car has an account and is logged in you don't need a personal Slacker acct
2.) TuneIn for streaming radio stations, podcasts and the like. No account needed.
3.) FM radio ; like any car. No account needed
4.) caroake for caraoke. No account needed.
5.) an optional Spotify which you can use IF you have a paid account separately to Spotify

Above assumes you are within the first 12 months, have lifetime connectiveity or are paying the monthly connectivity fee.
I am still within 12 months but plan on paying the $9.99 per once I am not

The search attempts to look through 1,2 and 4 so the results can be choppy/confusing. Why it finds a station in Canada instead of one from NYC is just the results Tune In comes up with ; it is not a Telsa issue.
Tune In may not have 880 out of NYC. I know for things like NY Yankee games I could not with Tune In pull in the NY station but was able to find a RI station on Tune In which simulcasts the games.
I found that by looking through all of the options in Tune In ; not via the main search feature.

Yes it lacks Apple/Android auto and there is no AM so those may be a little disappointing but as far as confusing I have never thought so.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LM-5
As much time as Elon spends worrying about games and entertainment, it's nuts that Apple Music isn't an option in the vein of Spotify at this point. Apple Music passed Spotify over a year ago in subscriber base and has been integrated into non-Apple TVs and devices. What gives?

CarPlay and Android Auto make more sense because of the data ramifications. Still, they should be options. Not having these things really puts a dent in the image that Tesla is the most advanced car on the road.

Reactions: AC2DC and Scott7
All good points from everyone. I'm sorry---but I think the entertainment system is really clunky---but this is after coming out of an ICE car with Sirius XM --- which is a good interface, and Apple CarPlay, which is a great interface as well. Now, that said, on XM you are of course dependent on live music which they choose---But you have a bazillion channels (along with other access like CNN, BBC, and just about every college football broadcast in America). Apple CarPlay is especially good for Podcasts and your phone's music---it has a very good interface for those. Also, its text message function is superior to Tesla's. (I hope the text system will improve---it's new.) Apple also gives you access to other apps like Waze, which is really useful for dynamic traffic (and knowing where the police are), but Tesla's nav system is great and you need it for supercharger info, so it gets the nod over anything CarPlay would give you for navigation.

Reactions: AC2DC
Yeah a lot of things that probably aren't going to happen. My wife has Car Play on her Volt. It's nice, but it has it's own set of "clunky" feel for lack of a better term. Like why can't it work wirelessly? Seems like it would be simple enough to implement. Add to it that the car itself has nothing built into it for GPS (not really needed but not bad to have in case). I find the text implementation about equal. I do find the Siri dictation works well, but Tesla voice to reply works better/quicker in my opinion. I do wish Waze was available, but again, it being Google, I kind of doubt we'll ever see it. About a year ago they pushed a traffic info update to the system and do seem to be updating it somewhat regularly, but I won't lie. It falls short of some of the Waze features.
Music for me was the one that surprised me Tesla owners not liking. I only know 1 person who uses Apple Music. I have many friends who use Spotify. I think it really comes down to that. If you are used to Spotify...it's fine. Spotify also has podcasts now. Not sure if the selection is lacking but all the major ones appear to be in place. To me, Apple Music was more limited in interfaces it supported (at the time...no SONOS support at home on certain devices, no Xbox support to this day) where Spotify had it was important to me (even my watch supports Spotify). I think it's a good service (Apple Music) but hearing how it works (or rather doesn't) with Tesla...I can't say I'm regretting choosing Spotify back in the day.

Yeah a lot of things that probably aren't going to happen. My wife has Car Play on her Volt. It's nice, but it has it's own set of "clunky" feel for lack of a better term. Like why can't it work wirelessly? Seems like it would be simple enough to implement. Add to it that the car itself has nothing built into it for GPS (not really needed but not bad to have in case). I find the text implementation about equal. I do find the Siri dictation works well, but Tesla voice to reply works better/quicker in my opinion. I do wish Waze was available, but again, it being Google, I kind of doubt we'll ever see it. About a year ago they pushed a traffic info update to the system and do seem to be updating it somewhat regularly, but I won't lie. It falls short of some of the Waze features.
Music for me was the one that surprised me Tesla owners not liking. I only know 1 person who uses Apple Music. I have many friends who use Spotify. I think it really comes down to that. If you are used to Spotify...it's fine. Spotify also has podcasts now. Not sure if the selection is lacking but all the major ones appear to be in place. To me, Apple Music was more limited in interfaces it supported (at the time...no SONOS support at home on certain devices, no Xbox support to this day) where Spotify had it was important to me (even my watch supports Spotify). I think it's a good service (Apple Music) but hearing how it works (or rather doesn't) with Tesla...I can't say I'm regretting choosing Spotify back in the day.

Thank you for this! I agree with all of your observations--although I am not an Apple Music or Spotify user. In my old car I simply listened to XM or music stored on my phone. Now, I'm using Slacker in the Tesla. Do you think I should change to Spotify? Seems then I'm paying twice. (Still cheaper than what I was paying for XM). As far as the text messages, I have trouble with the Tesla system stopping after the first sentence of dictated text. The CarPlay system allowed you to dictate with punctuation and complete sentences, and I found that it was usually dead on. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the Tesla system?

Reactions: cbrigante2