Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EPA range disparity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The energy consumption metric of 30kWh/100mi is intended by the EPA to allow you to calculate cost to drive a given distance. Therefore it includes all the energy that flows from where the cost is tabulated, your home power meter. It’s commonly referred to as a is a “wall-to-wheels” metric. The numbers are different from vehicle range simply because it also includes the losses associated with converting 240v AC power to 400v DC power in the on-board charger.

Basically, anytime you see an EPA number of xxkWh/100mi, it’s represents total energy consumption not driving energy consumption.

This makes sense, thank you. It seemed like such a big discrepancy I couldn’t figure out why.

I'm not mad about the range I get. It's fine and I'm not driving it to maximize efficiency.

My question was more about the discrepancy between the EPA rating of 290wh/m and Tesla's advertised range of 299 miles. To get 299 miles on a 75kwh pack you'd have to get ~250wh/m. I actually wasn’t sure if Tesla was just assuming you'd get better wh/m than the EPA suggests, or if the car actually had a bigger battery then I thought.

The EPA numbers come from a specific test suite done in a specific environment (ex: temp). If you managed to precisely drive versus that test suite you will approximately get that mileage.

When I had a 28 mile commute across to top of Atlanta, I was roughly experiencing the EPA range during the summer.

However, the best advice is to change the range display on the car from miles to percentage and forget about EPA range.

When you go on a road trip, the Navigator will provide an accurate forecast for your arrival battery percentage, and that's ultimately what counts. Caution: sometimes it take 30 miles into the road trip before the arrival estimate is valid.