Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Error code #1111? (My roadster is still needy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it's not quite fixed, apparently. Got a bunch of 1144's and 1146's last week, numbers verified looking in the logs. (Hard to see on the VDS while driving...)

Given that we found one connector pin that was burned, I'm thinking the SC needs to verify the other electrical connectors in the chain - there's got to be at least one more, at the motor end of the cable. Fuses aren't likely the problem, or the error would be tripping all the time, which it's not (unless, I suppose, there's an intermittent connection in the fuse itself?). There is also a note in the TMC chart for 1144 to check the coolant level. Failing those, swap the fan motor.

I was worried about swapping PEMs and the rest of the car's settings, but apparently they're held elsewhere. From what I can see in the logs, the firmware and its upgrade history appear to be unchanged with the PEM swap. I haven't measured it, but no noticable change in car performance. Still just as much fun as before.

Update: Took the car into the Rocklin service center, and discussed the situation. Since last week when I got a flurry of 1144's and 1146's, the car has been well behaved. So the SC didn't have an active "do this and you'll see the error" situation. Just a vehicle log and a puzzle.

They took every thing apart, confirmed no obstructions, ran the blower motor on separate power and verified it pushed air like it should. None of the cable connectors appeared to be burned. Nothing to account for the issue.

On a hunch, they added some foam gasketing around the PEM intake, on the theory that if air was escaping, that's where it would escape from. The drive home was uneventful, and I've not driven it since, so no idea if it's made a difference. VDS temperature guage is about the same as before, 2 boxes down from yellow on the flat and level, one box down worst case when zipping around.

The plan at this point is to drive it and see what happens. Since there's never been a temperature warning on the VDS (PEM temp never hit the upper three boxes), I'm told that the car isn't in any danger of frying anything (figuratively or otherwise), so we just need to collect more data on any future events to try to help the factory folks narrow it down.