Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't really want to take this thread off track, there are enough posts about the Semi event surprise elsewhere, but... With all the evidence coming in here and news of the US discounts pushed to the max ((and people getting fired for it) I am more and more confident, that we will get an S/X update at the Semi event. This does feel way more than a standard end of the quarter push. I am mostly thinking of an interior refresh.

Tesla hired Volvo's head of interior design last December and the inside of the S hasn't seen a significant update (apart from new seats, faux leather and a center console) since launch. Not only is this their chance to do that after 5 years and refresh it, but they could also leverage volume deals they now gave with first tier suppliers on Model 3. I still think they will keep 2 screens for S/X, but I would expect the new vent system (hello spaceship!), stalks, materials, a much simpler dash design would come over.

This would be very good for Q4 sales volume and profits (lower costs).

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Sales are up big in the Netherlands, but also interesting: What is the other car? Has Model 3 arrived in the Netherlands?

View attachment 245043
@hobbes @Troy @schonelucht looks like we have photo evidence this indeed was the very first Model 3. YAY!
First Tesla Model 3 spotted in Europe a year ahead of official launch
screen-shot-2017-09-08-at-11-22-15-am-e1504885201771.png

@hobbes @Troy @schonelucht looks like we have photo evidence this indeed was the very first Model 3. YAY!
First Tesla Model 3 spotted in Europe a year ahead of official launch
screen-shot-2017-09-08-at-11-22-15-am-e1504885201771.png
Was just going to post the same thing :). Cool!!!

EDIT: Speculation over at reddit is that with this car having regular plates, homologation should be done! Also, there was reportedly a sighting at the Dutch type approval authority a month ago and another one at the Tilburg plant: Tesla Model 3 sighted at Dutch type approval authority • r/teslamotors

Now what I´d really like to see is a pic of the open charge port!

Last edited:

Ha yes. Totally forgot to mention that from the Dutch forums. Employees in the Netherlands were quite openly sharing the last weeks that they already had a model 3 over. Nice to have picture confirmation. Still, it's not a customer car so we're correct in not counting it in the overview.

• Informative
Reactions: mrdoubleb
Avere France is out with new numbers, July and August combined. Tesla registrations are not specified in text, so we´re confined to pixel counting. That yields 133 Teslas for July+Aug (used the same method to derive the i3 number giving me 256 instead of the actual 260 as a cross check). Subtracting 57 we have in the wiki for last month gives 76 for Aug which I submitted as an estimate.

So something seems to be a little off in Luxembourg guys. We still don't have the August data (seriously, how long does it take to count the number of cars sold in a country the size of Luxembourg?), but when you look at the latest file, dated August 9th, the YTD total is 111, while we show 101. The EU database shows the same thing (well, 110, but close enough). We seem to be missing 6 Model S and 4 or 5 X (depending on which source you trust).

Will be interesting to see how the official August numbers and YTD totals look once they post the new file.

Official GB count for Q2 was 849 (estimate was 801). With plenty of 100's as well (>200) which is in contradiction with the severe supply shortage Tesla claimed for that quarter.

Meanwhile, Norway is doing extremely the last few days (40-60 deliveries/day). Still some catch up to do, but we will be end up close to last years total for the month.

Official GB count for Q2 was 849 (estimate was 801). With plenty of 100's as well (>200) which is in contradiction with the severe supply shortage Tesla claimed for that quarter.

Meanwhile, Norway is doing extremely the last few days (40-60 deliveries/day). Still some catch up to do, but we will be end up close to last years total for the month.
Ok, I certainly don't mean to start a cat-fight like we see on a certain other thread between 2 longtime contributors. That's just silly, plus I like you TMC people just too much for that. So for this reason I have restrained myself until now, but this is such a good example. You tend to flip to this "something doesn't seem right compared to how I expect things = TESLA LEADERSHIP IS LYING" mode for no good reason from time to time. Take everything they say for gospel? Sure not, a healthy sense of criticism is necessary even for (especially for?) bullish investors. But just because something doesn't make sense to you, it does not automatically mean the company mislead us. Have you considered that maybe you don't have all the facts? Or other simpler explanations?

Let me give you a real simple one for the above: the existence of the shortage manifests not in the cars they've managed to deliver, but in the ones they did not. Who's to say they couldn't have delivered 300 of them if there was supply? You do not see into Tesla's internal order books and details of the backlogs. At most you could analyze subsequent months globally to see how 100D deliveries went after the shortage to see if there was any increase (due to the backlog finally being produced). But even then, there are so many other factors that can impact the numbers it would be hard to establish a 1:1 relationship.

But there could be other, more nuanced explanations, like batching right-hand-drive production. So maybe they produce the cars for the UK at certain intervals to be ready for the European shipments, or maybe even UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, etc together (though unlikely due to vastly different locations and shipping times on the planet). So they could have prioritized existing 100 pack production for the UK first as they had a shorter production window and expected the situation to resolve in time to make the rest of the EU production - but it did not.

Not saying any of that is exactly what happened, but until you see some more specific evidence, why assume the worst? For example if deliveries miss Q3 expectations once again (and the hurricanes had no impact - which we do not know yet), we could argue that yes, S and X deliveries are declining and Tesla may have BSd us last quarter and they should seriously consider a refresh to counter Model 3 (and other competition) impact.

Not saying any of that is exactly what happened, but until you see some more specific evidence, why assume the worst?

Maybe you should extend that courtesy to my post as well and not assume that every contradiction put forward implies me going into TESLA LEADERSHIP IS LYING mode?

Trust me, when I want to imply that Tesla leadership is misleading or even lying I will tell so in exactly those terms. Ask me about their AP2.0 FSD demo video from last fall if you want to see for yourself. :)

Edit: I am frankly quite tired of posts attacking my motivations (not necessarily yours but yours is the straw that broke the camel's back). I would have been more than happy with just your last three paragraphs and we could have had a great discussion with a hope of resolving seemingly contradictory observations but I think from now on I will refrain from engaging with any more posts that want to put an undue focus on my motivation rather than my arguments.

Last edited:
Reactions: pGo and Out4aDuck
Maybe you should extend that courtesy to my post as well and not assume that every contradiction put forward implies me going into TESLA LEADERSHIP IS LYING mode?

Trust me, when I want to imply that Tesla leadership is misleading or even lying I will tell so in exactly those terms. Ask me about their AP2.0 FSD demo video from last fall if you want to see for yourself. :)

Edit: I am frankly quite tired of posts attacking my motivations (not necessarily yours but yours is the straw that broke the camel's back). I would have been more than happy with just your last three paragraphs and we could have had a great discussion with a hope of resolving seemingly contradictory observations but I think from now on I will refrain from engaging with any more posts that want to put an undue focus on my motivation rather than my arguments.
Man, this is exactly why I didn't want to do this! Note to self: next time when the sensible part of your brain tells you not to post something: don't!

Ok, first thing first: I never questioned your motivation. I don't think you are a troll or have bad intentions, in fact i usually enjoy many of your posts. But when you said the number of UK delivers of 100s contradicted Tesla's claim of the shortage, that just fit in with some of your previous posts that implied management is bending the truth on certain topics - to put it mildly - where i felt connecting those dots that way was waaaay big of a stretch. Anyway. Didn't mean to offend you.

PS: sorry about your camel's back. Absolutely unintended collateral damage. Let me know if there is anything I can do for him.