Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are the Slovenia and Poland numbers on the European registrations wiki coming from (they have no source)? They are both suspiciously 9, 1, and 5 for January, February, and March. I have only 3 in Slovenia in February and 0 for January and February in Poland and January in Slovenia, as well as no data for March on my spreadsheet.

I like having a central list (I have kept my own list so far), however would prefer to see an alphabetic list.

Also some countries missing. I have also seen January numbers for Slovenia and Poland (9 each in Jan) and Italy (Jan 5, feb 1) . I have not tracked the source (guess it was on this forum or EV-sales blog)

This post has Slovenia and Poland in it and the numbers 9,1 and 5. From the wiki history I can see though that Newb put the numbers, where did you get them? Gerardf, could you please try to dig up the source?

For now, I removed the Feb and Mar numbers for Slovenia and Poland.

I think there is a possibility that a few of the Swedish cars are second hands, imported from Norway. I understand the register to count all new registrations in Sweden of cars newer than 3 years old. Anyway not very many, in my opinion.

Yes, you may be correct. And me too; the figures do add upp, right?
But I believe there is at least one car a guy brought with him when he moved from Norway to Sweden. He runs a blog about having a Model S as the only family car. IIRC he moved before Xmas though so not in these counts.

Ah, found it: Norge-Sverige flytten | Elbil som familjebil Tesla Model S
He got his registration papers on 19 Dec.

Still no detailed numbers for Germany, other than the 1.278 BEVs total for March. Seems a lot of the relevant number crunchers at the KBA are still in their Easter holidays (as are many people in Germany at the moment actually).

But taking the 1.278 as a hint, a few hundred Model S don't seem too unrealistic. Unfortunately even the detailed numbers won't show how many e-Golfs were newly registered. Also no precise numbers for B-class ED or Focus electric either, as the numbers only show vehicle types like "VW Golf", "Mercedes B-class" in total, not by model (like 1.6 TDI, 2.0 TDI etc.). So unless there is a seperate vehicle type like Model S, i3, Ampera, Zoe etc. then one can only guess.

Last edited:
Now, finally Germany numbers for March are there: 211 (including 167 with AWD!), and 294 for the quarter. That is significantly less than the 300+ that were rumoured just for March alone... Still good.
294 for the quarter is good in which universe? We had 143 in March last year. So with the much hyped P85D we have only 70 more cars sold?
So what's the catalyst that will drive decent sales in Germany?

294 for the quarter is good in which universe? We had 143 in March last year. So with the much hyped P85D we have only 70 more cars sold?
So what's the catalyst that will drive decent sales in Germany?

I have said it again and again and I can repeat it once more: as long as there are

1) zero real government incentives for buying an EV
2) no willingness on Tesla's side to agree to price negotiations with customers

only a handful of wealthy enthusiasts or some businesses will buy/lease Model S's here.
Remember how small the market for cars of 70K and up (100K for a decently equipped S85 is a number that holds off I would say about 99% of your average car buyers) is anyway, let alone for BEVs that aren't really popular yet over here. Add in the fact that Tesla is an American car company (that also few people even know of at the moment), then a few hundred cars in three months seems like quite a lot to me actually. Of course I would prefer to see more on our roads, but under the current conditions I can't see how that could happen, unfortunately.

I have said it again and again and I can repeat it once more: as long as there are

Are you suggesting that Tesla should follow BMW/Audi/Daimler in marking up their cars by an extra 10% so that people can have the joy of negotiating discounts of between 2% and 10%? Price negotiations with traditional OEMs always end up at a price the OEM is happy with and often higher. Flat pricing seems easier and fairer to me.

The issue that you don't mention that I think is a hinderance is getting in on corporate fleet deals. My limited understanding of the German luxury car market is that very few of those cars are actually purchased by individuals, but rather are company cars.

only a handful of wealthy enthusiasts or some businesses will buy/lease Model S's here.
Remember how small the market for cars of 70K and up (100K for a decently equipped S85 is a number that holds off I would say about 99% of your average car buyers) is anyway, let alone for BEVs that aren't really popular yet over here. Add in the fact that Tesla is an American car company (that also few people even know of at the moment), then a few hundred cars in three months seems like quite a lot to me actually. Of course I would prefer to see more on our roads, but under the current conditions I can't see how that could happen, unfortunately.

I think Tesla might just not feel the need to pull any demand leavers in Germany just yet. Could well imagine that they'll be a lot more pro-active in achieving fleet sales for Model 3, which should then also act as a demand catalyst for Model S/X at a time when other markets are near saturated for Model S and maybe getting close for X. Since they're so production constrained now it seems sensible to allow demand to grow at a controlled pace.
Tens of thousands of Model 3 on the roads, and the word-of-mouth information that comes with it, would do more to increase awareness of Tesla and convince people of the benefits of EVs than anything Tesla can do now.
The government is falling well short of its own goals on EV adoption (wasn't it 1m on the road by 2020?) so it's possible that real EV incentives are in the offing, although I guess that will have to wait until the only real EV options are no longer non-german.

Are you suggesting that Tesla should follow BMW/Audi/Daimler in marking up their cars by an extra 10% so that people can have the joy of negotiating discounts of between 2% and 10%? Price negotiations with traditional OEMs always end up at a price the OEM is happy with and often higher. Flat pricing seems easier and fairer to me.

The issue that you don't mention that I think is a hinderance is getting in on corporate fleet deals. My limited understanding of the German luxury car market is that very few of those cars are actually purchased by individuals, but rather are company cars.

No, not neccessarily.

But Tesla needs to care about fleet sales and they have invested in this area lately (hired people, did company drive events). I expect sales to pick up in Germany substantially, if they are successful.

No, not neccessarily.

But Tesla needs to care about fleet sales and they have invested in this area lately (hired people, did company drive events). I expect sales to pick up in Germany substantially, if they are successful.

I agree fleet sales are important too.

Tesla have unfortunately just shot themselves in the foot here with the changes to the model line-up :( Cars near model changes (Autopilot / Non Auto pilot, RWD / 70D) are just massive unknowns in terms of true market value in 3 years time. My guess, and one I'm sure will be taken by the used car trade, is these cars will be worth considerably less than those a few weeks newer, just we never know when this is going to happen.

Most fleet sales are indirectly subject to residuals. The uncertainty of the true market value (not the 50% residual guarantee) is just too unpredictable :( and will bump the effective finance prices up.

Tesla seems to be intentionally keeping the European prices lower, since today they increased option prices everywhere and changed base prices as well, but they didn't increase overall European prices. They seem to be holding a general discount of ~10% as of today. Here I have charts with Norwegian prices (krone) and Euro prices compared to prices in the US. Note that I included the regulatory and documentation fee for all cars, I also excluded the 21% VAT from Netherlands cars and options. I used the most recent exchange rates.

European prices.png

I think that would be a good strategy for survival and SP. Priority wise, the sales volume is more important than gross margin. Especially in 2015, with low oil price, weak euro and weak China demand, it’s suicide to increase european price by 10%. The same applies for today’s 70D release, pricing wise, it’s a discount compared to85D, but it can boost the demand. It’s very challenging for TM to gain enough demand to achieve 55K guidance, glad Elon and TM are taking a serial of stepsto mitigate the risk.

Tesla seems to be intentionally keeping the European prices lower, since today they increased option prices everywhere and changed base prices as well, but they didn't increase overall European prices. They seem to be holding a general discount of ~10% as of today. Here I have charts with Norwegian prices (krone) and Euro prices compared to prices in the US. Note that I included the regulatory and documentation fee for all cars, I also excluded the 21% VAT from Netherlands cars and options. I used the most recent exchange rates.

View attachment 77369

Thanks for the data, quite informative.

I think that would be a good strategy for survival and SP. Priority wise, the sales volume is more important than gross margin. Especially in 2015, with low oil price, weak euro and weak China demand, it’s suicide to increase european price by 10%. The same applies for today’s 70D release, pricing wise, it’s a discount compared to85D, but it can boost the demand. It’s very challenging for TM to gain enough demand to achieve 55K guidance, glad Elon and TM are taking a serial of stepsto mitigate the risk.

I second that.

Thanks. Very helpful. It will be difficult for TM to beat the margins with such prices, but yes, volume has to be the 1st priority. These prices also say Tesla does not take 50K or 100K demand taken for granted.