Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20160109_FBC031.png
Here's an up to date overview of each oil field in Norway: Oljekartet (Size = volume, and it describes the profit per barrel at the current oil price.)

The next price increase won't help much either...
True, but it remains to be seen whether we will have a price increase. The NOK has strengthened as the oil price has increased over the last few weeks. Now it's at 8.31 when it was at 8.7 before. The exchange rate for a S70D is 8.42, and the exchange rate for a X70D is 8.86.

That means that the price in the US can increase by around 1000 USD for the S70D and about 5000 USD for the X70D and Tesla wouldn't need to increase the price in NOK.

Ouchies - that has to sting in certain quarters :)

True. And honestly, I was always one of the first to be defending German carmakers. But even I have an ever harder time understanding what is going on in those corporate board rooms. As if Dieselgate wasn't enough to show them. And MB in particular. WTF? Pouring another 3 billion into improving Diesel engines? For that much money they could engineer (of that I am absolutely certain) a compelling full BEV version of at least the C-, E- and S-class.

Take the new E-class. I have just yesterday gotten their latest marketing brochure for it. Mentions a lot of how intelligent the new E-class is supposed to be. Intelligent navigation, half-autonomous driving, autonomous self-parking, online functionality.
Come to think of it, I think I know a car (well, two actually, but Model X is not yet on our roads - except for one by now well-known example ;)) that can do all that, and more. Plus, it's fully electric. Care to guess which one it is? :p

I wonder whether the success of Model 3 will force them to finally "see the light" of what ever more customers (including me) really want.

Last edited:
What's going on is that they are actually not losing that many sales. Denmark? Norway? Not markets they ever cared about the sales of their top luxury cars. Talk to people in the Germany or European forum most of them aren't customers of that market either. Sure they might be losing a few E-Class sales, but that's a Segment where they are selling 2000 cars a month.

For that much money they could engineer (of that I am absolutely certain) a compelling full BEV version of at least the C-, E- and S-class.
Because it's not just about building a car, but selling it with a profit. Putting a battery in the E-Class would probably put it in the price range of the S-Class something the majority of E-Class buyers can't afford.

So, how will tesla manage to do it?
I.e. not sell 15k car for 35k?

Keep It Simple. Modern cars are a whole mess of systems as each is made by different suppliers often with their own control system and profit margins. If tesla can continue to reduce the complexity of their cars. Then they will be able to spend more on design and execution of handling and interior, I think the two areas (along with exterior) where you pick up on price points the most.

Yeah, much more of an increase than I was expecting. On the up side, margins in Europe should be as good as, if not better than the margins in the US.

Here are current prices in Norway compared to the US, with a NOK exchange rate of 8.17:

Norway
70: 77,150 USD
70D: 82,200 USD
90D: 95,500 USD
P90D: 115,700 USD
Maxed out: 154,250 USD

USA
70: 72,700 USD
70D: 77,700 USD
90D: 90,700 USD
P90D: 110,700 USD
Maxed out: 147,500 USD

After playing around with the numbers a bit, I think that when Tesla set the pricing, they first added 4000 USD in shipping costs and the like, and then they applied an 8.25 exchange rate. If the additional costs for selling in Europe are 4000 USD, Tesla is currently making a few hundred dollars extra on each car, with the exchange rate being at 8.16 instead of 8.25.

With the refresh European maximum charging rate for AC went down. Standard is 11kW (pre and post refresh). Pre refresh there was the 'dual charger option' for a rate of 22kW. Post refresh customers can order an 'upgraded internal charger' with a 16.5kW charging rate. All in all a good update to receive for those who'd order anyway but I don't feel like there is enough substance to drive many new additional European orders like the dual motors and the 90kWh refreshes had.

I agree there's not much here to increase demand. Probably the most important change is the headlights. To some degree also the nose. But these changes are more than nulled out by the price hike.

I was hoping for tow hitch, but no such luck. That could have increased sales by probably 50% for a quarter or two here in Norway. Hopefully Tesla is planning to gradually include additional features over the next few months.

Of course this is not as substantive a change.

But design is very important.

And there is a new front fascia with new LED headlights.

Center console, ash wood interior trim, bio weapons defense mode air filter.

Apparently the new interior door trim with storage, new Model X front seats, 100 kWh battery pack, and expanded color palette from the new paint shop will come later.

I don't think there is much difference between Europe and North America on the desirability of current and future upgrades.

• Helpful
Reactions: vgrinshpun
With all the countries accounted for the final balance for the last quarter isn't that bad. Deliveries are only down by 200 year-on-year. But last year we saw the introduction of the Autopilot-enabled Dual Drive Model S in Europe which was a huge demand driver. This year we are still waiting on both the introduction of the Model X and the refresh of the S to help Europe match the worldwide 45% year-on-year growth. The decrease in quarter-on-quarter deliveries of over 2000 cars clearly indicates a lot of demand that normally would have been filled this quarter was brought forward to help meet the numbers last year. Looking forward, the current quarter is going to be challenging still but Q3 should be a lot better.