Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Estonia: 11 (7 S, 4 X) BTW we need to update the link... I managed to find it eventually: Sõidukite statistika
*sigh* so you are saying I bought 5 out of the 11 cars last year... I think there is some error, need to check when at my comp (currently on iPad). I think they only list new registrations and don't count "used" even if "used" means driven from Tilburg like I did with my X. Then again to my knowledge there are 4X so that seems to imply I did indeed buy almost half of all sold cars here... hmm...

Just confirmed @Lesifass submission [..]

Interesting and noteworthy that Tesla made it out of the "other manufacturers" number and is mentioned explicitely in the press release which always preceeds the detailed publication of numbers. Is this the first time?

Thanks! If I remember correctly, Tesla was added to that table in the press release in January 2016, a year ago. I guess they choose the top N manufacturers each year, based on the number of registrations in the previous year. The addition of Tesla Motors in 2016 was already expected/announced by members of the TFF forums in late 2015, so there certainly is some kind of known algorithm for who is in that table and who isn't.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
France was the last straggler but numbers are out : 120 model S (down from 171 q-o-q but up 97 last year) and 70 X (up from 40).

This brings us to 2681 total deliveries for December or 4374 over the full quarter. On the face of it, this is a disappointing number, but it really isn't. True last quarter had 4900 deliveries but I think that number is inflated. The production issues in Q2 had Tesla push some of the overseas orders that should have been built and delivered that quarter to later in the year. With the delivery wait times for Europe widening, the logical conclusion seems that Tesla is allocating a more or less fixed number of production slots for Europe and that demand is slowly outstripping those slots.

One slight remark : Model S deliveries are on a clear downward slope. This quarter we are likely looking at something like 2500. That's the lowest number since 2014(!) Hopefully Tesla can turn this around next quarter. One the one hand the increasing wait times would support that hope, but on the other hand, the downward slope is most pronounced with the mature countries (Norway, Switzerland, the Netherlands, ...). Next quarter should tell us more.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
Q1 is looking fairly good already in Norway. 56 Model S and 119 Model X. That's more than all the months of 2016, except March, June, August, September and December. And my calender tells me it's only the 10th. There were 16 cars delivered today, 5 Model S and 11 Model X.

However, regarding Model S sales in Norway, the only way they could recover is if they start delivering the Model S with a tow bar. As long as the Model S doesn't have a tow bar, every Tesla buyer in Norway will pick the Model X, except the ones who hate the falcon doors.

European 2016 Sales BEVs and PHEVs

December sales Annual Sales and Market Share Percentages Last Years Sales Order

Pl Europe Dec. 2016 % '15Pl
1 Renault Zoe 2.867 21.735 10 2
2 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2.393 21.318 10 1
3 Nissan Leaf 1.595 18.827 9 5 4
4 BMW i3 1.819 15.060 7 6
5 Volkswagen Passat GTE 3.310 13.110 6 12
6 Tesla Model S 1.408 12.549 6 5
7 Volkswagen Golf GTE 1.260 11.329 4 3
8 Mercedes C350e 1.622 10.125 5 11
9 Volvo XC90 T8 1.298 9.469 4 18
10 BMW 330e 1.464 8.691 4 37
11 Audi A3 e-Tron 1.195 6.908 3 3
12 Volkswagen e-Golf 302 6.657 3 3
19 Tesla Model X 1094 3689 2 n/a

Total 29.996 221.614

EV Sales: Europe December 2016

Complete List and better formatted in link above.

• Informative
Reactions: mrdoubleb
It's actually the best 'first quarter month' ever. Unfortunately it slowed down a bit the last half of the month.
Yeah, but since these strong numbers weren't because of a sudden explosion of demand, but December deliveries delayed, this was expected.

Still looks good though and builds on Tesla's credibility when they report delays but give us explanations. Shows the Q4 delivery report claims weren't BS.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Besides Norway we have data for two more countries already. Finland is at 26 (up from 10 y-o-y and 3 last quarter). Austria is at 54 (up from 44 y-o-y and 26 last quarter). Looks like January is a very promising month, likely based on some overhang from last quarter when the switchover from AP1 to AP2 happened right when Tesla would have been manufacturing last quarter's cars for Europe.

Reactions: SBenson
148579535328f180f2f318fb06ef8a52682791db0e-Copy_.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I've managed to hunt down the last two missing entries for January.
  • For France, the PDF is out but did not mention Tesla and did not have any charts. Luckily, the news article on the front page of the same site did, and shows 27 X and 45 S.
  • For Luxembourg, the official site still show 2016 data only, but I found a news article going through the highlights of the January 2017 numbers. It highlights Tesla going up 450% from 2 to 11 Y/Y.
With that Europe is up from 776 to 1444, or +86%. We see 2 outliers though and I wonder if anyone speaking the local language could look into these:
  • Switzerland seems to be the only country down. Any new law, change of incentives, etc we don't know about?
  • Denmark shows 0 (last year was 31). What the hell?

December 2016 was exceptionally good at 20 cars. But beyond that sales were hovering at a few per month last year anyway so 0 is not out of the ordinary. I think there was also another tax increase on EV cars to bring them more in line with ICE fiscal treatment, but I don't have the exact details. Anyway, I think the Tesla brand in Denmark is pretty soft right now. It's the country were supercharging and service capacity was running most behind after a sales explosion in 2015 (Norway being the other contender).

Denmark tax on BEVs jumped another 20% from 0% two years ago to 40% now. I seem to recall. Can a Dane confirm?
Correct.
Will keep jumping 20% every year.

Some of the parties part of that deal are trying to get it renegotiated though. Since implementation of the tax jumps the electric car sales have all but stopped.

Kun fem elbiler solgt i år: Partier efterlyser øget støtte - in danish, so needs some google translate assistance.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
UK is unusually high in Jan as first full month of X deliveries.
Also remains to be seen what mid-Jan 5% price increase does to deliveries in Q2 onwards (prices are up c15% now from Brexit, this is only the ER effect, ie. excludes price increase from dearer 60 and other changes made globally).