Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[EU] Powerwall and 3-phase 400VAC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the point is that there exist now with the Fronius Symo Gen 24 Plus and Kostal PLENTICORE plus two very good 3-phase hybrid inverters. As already mentioned, these two are super efficient and outperform most other models. For more information check the above link to the "Energy-Storage Inspection 2020" comparison.

So for me it's a no-brainer. If you really want a powerful 10kw 3-phase solution, get one of them (@tsllst). While the PLENTICORE plus has some nice features in regard to a multiple-inverter config (currently not fully implemented), the Symo Gen 24 Plus offers a solid 3-phase backup capability.

And regarding the battery technology, - it may be for some hard to accept, but the modular LiFePo4 (lithium iron phosphate) technology is the future in the "fixed place" (non-mobile) sector. According most technical parameters like peak consumption it outperforms Teslas LiCoO2 (lithium cobalt oxide) cells which are used in the Powerwall.

The only disadvantage of the lithium iron phosphate technology is the weight. However, in a "fixed place" application like a house battery this point isn't really important. It can be solved with a modular concept. BYD shows with his "Battery-Box Premium" models how this can be archived. ;)

Thank you @lorn10
I'm not 100% convinced that this is the best solution right now.
I'm looking now for the sonnenBatterie 10 performance and the sonnenProtect 8000.
I find it strange that sonnenbatterie is not in the 2020 comparison. It is a german company.

I also don't know the reason why sonnenbatterie isn't listed at the current 2020 "Energy-Storage Inspection" of HTW Berlin.

Maybe this is because their current models are simply not "efficient" enough to get a good ranking... ;) So the company decided to not participate in that "contest". Well, I am just speculating....

I think one sonnenbatterie system were listed in 2019 or 2018.

However, it would be really interesting to see were Tesla's Powerwall 2 is standing in direct comparison to the Fronius Symo Gen 24 Plus and Kostal PLENTICORE plus. The AC coupled PW 2 will most likely not reach the 90% mark. ;)

Widodh,

I myself am still in the market for three Powerwalls, today version is with 13.5 kWh, I also have been calling on Tesla, especially as the newer versions also have improved balancing energy capacity.
Knowing the Netherlands has been a fair supporter of Tesla it does not make sense to me why we are refrained getting these on order….
This is even worse than my wait for a Model 3 and my wait (exactly 27 months till delivery) for my Plaid.

One good thing however is that the price per kWh storage came down and quality went up.

The powerwalls hopefully come soon to The Netherlands…

The only inverters that can do this reliable is using 3 SMA Sunny Island where 2 of them are in slave mode.
They can connect to a battery on one side and to the 3-phase network on the other. If you provide a cutt-off switch to the net you can use them as backup in case the grid fails. When the grid comes back, they sync to it and then release power to the grid.
We have a set of them operating at our company linked to a 35kWh NiFe battery bank.
At home I have a 3-phase SolarEdge inverter and waiting patiently for a 3-phase powerwall 2/3 to come out. The goal is to never inject any power in the grid so I can stop paying the high annual inverter tax.
I am also waiting for Powerwalls for my house in the Netherlands.

I installed three battery SMA SBS units initially with two in slave mode and had serious issues…

I am reading your comments as
I had two SBS units of SMA in slave mode (SMA energy meter).

The only way getting a readout from these in the SMA app was putting all three in a Sunny Home Manager.

SMA claimed the Energy meter would make the others work in slave mode.

It did not, SMA iberica even reloaded new firmware on my battery inverters, we swapped internet switches.

But only after installing the Sunny Home manager on each unit (taking out the energy meter units) we did get “stable” communication, in the end it worked out.
So all three are now communicating separately…

I only want to bring this up.
Hope I did understand your situation correctly.

Last edited: