Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 3 Roadmap - 3 Phase Coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just stumbled across a YouTube video with Tesla discussing the benefits of Powerwall 3 for installers. They had this slide showing that they are working on 3 phase!

1707742291233.png

Source:

There is lots of other good technical content in the presentation too.

Ok, well that's annoying, but probably understandable that the video is now private.

Here are some of the things that I remember, keeping in mind this was installer focused.

1. A single Powerwall 3 can charge a Model 3 at the highest AC rate, due to the maximum continuous output of 11.5 kW.
2. They compared installing a Powerwall 3 to earlier models, including a time lapse video and it was hours for the older models (with more boxes on the wall) vs < 1 hour for the new model (integrated solution).
3. You can put 3 Powerwall 3's together (40.5 kWh) and then use DC Expansion (see Q3 above) to add more, with up to 12 (4 x 3) supported (I think).
4. The flexibility of both DC and AC coupling is going to be great for new or existing systems.
5. The built-in inverter has support for 6 solar panel strings to allow for different roof shapes and shading issues. The maximum solar panel capacity is 20 kW.
6. They showed a video of a Powerwall operating in a couple of feet of water, saying that they are laser welded and designed to keep operating during flooding.
7. By integrating the controller (gateway), inverter and having direct DC connections they have removed complexity for installation and improved efficiency.
8. There was a lot of information on how they designed the internals for easy installation, e.g. space for hands to connect wires, etc. Then the packaging and things like ramps and trolleys that are designed specifically for the Powerwall to make it easier while protecting the product.

If anyone else managed to watch it, please share what you remember.

This was a USA launch, so there was no information about other countries :(.

Note the slide says “last time buy” for PW2 and PW2+ in Q1 this year. So that might mean when my PW2 hits the warranty replacement trigger next year, they’ll have to give me a PW3 since there’ll be no PW2s left in stock 😄

Reactions: Quickst
And under the new NSW State Environmental Planning Policy (Transport and Infrastructure) 2021, home battery systems are only “exempt development” if they store less than 20 kWh of energy. See section 2.41(5).

Anything more than that (i.e. 2 or more Powerwalls) in NSW and you need a Development Application to your local council.

And under the new NSW State Environmental Planning Policy (Transport and Infrastructure) 2021, home battery systems are only “exempt development” if they store less than 20 kWh of energy. See section 2.41(5).

Anything more than that (i.e. 2 or more Powerwalls) in NSW and you need a Development Application to your local council.
Need those DA fees to keep a few meaninglessly people employed

Can someone Please Explainᵀᴹ DC and AC coupling please thanks
1708037081166.png

(Image shamelessly flogged from here)

My best guess about the fact that "AC Coupling" is on the Q2 roadmap is that it means that initially you can only charge the battery using solar panels directly connected to the new PW3 inverter, but after Q2 it will work with an existing solar inverter as well (as the current PW2 already does)?

PW3 is now available for sale in Continental USA

Purchase price USD$8400 ex tax, not including Govt incentives including gateway but not installation. (slightly different in each state)

Current specs
You can put 3 Powerwall 3's together (40.5 kWh) and then use DC Expansion (see Q3 above) to add more, with up to 12 (4 x 3) supported (I think).
Seems to be 4xPW3 at the moment - max continuous charge power 5kW but max solar input 20kW
Can someone Please Explainᵀᴹ what is "Grid Type: Split Phase"

Last edited:
Split phase uses a distribution transformer winding with a centre tap connected to neutral and two live terminals. I don't believe split phase is used in Australia (maybe at some US government joint facilities like Tidbinbilla or Pine Gap).

It's used in a few rural locations. It's normally 230/460v The property is supplied with 2 lives, from memory, the phase sequence of each "active" are in sync. eg, 0 degrees.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst
It's used in a few rural locations. It's normally 230/460v The property is supplied with 2 lives, from memory, the phase sequence of each "active" are in sync. eg, 0 degrees.
If it's 230/460 they must be 180 degrees out of phase (which is how normal split-phase works).

Are there any 460V appliances? In the US some people have 240V outlets for electric clothes dryers or similar.

If it's 230/460 they must be 180 degrees out of phase (which is how normal split-phase works).

Are there any 460V appliances? In the US some people have 240V outlets for electric clothes dryers or similar.

TBH, I am not sure, been ages since I have looked at anything like it. I don't like to advise what I clearly don't know! I am trying to imagine how you would get 180deg out of phase between the actives from the 120deg three phase upstream transformer. I'll have to research it, so uncommon in Aus.

EDIT. Okay, seems obvious now. You just have "1 phase" in the split phase system. Its just that you have half the potential voltage between neutral and one of the actives and the full 460v potential between the actives. Unlike three phase, you still only have 0v potential at the midpoint of the sine-wave.

Last edited:
Interesting alternative to the Powerwall here, it appears to do everything the powerwall ecosystem purports to do and plan to do but in a more compact package. Similar scalability but more granular and true 3 phase operation.

Appears to be newly arrived in Australia.