Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European road trip. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Schuko adaptor for the UMC which has worked well in France.

However, I have always been able to get the car close enough to an outlet that I didn't need an extension

I think an alternative is to have some simple short adaptors from "Foreign" to "Universal", and then a Universal-to-Commando extension lead, and then the UMC Command adaptor. Make sure the extension lead is robust (one-step oversized for current-power is prudent, given that it will also be extended by the UMC itself, and e.g. a H07RN-F rubber cable which won't get brittle in Winter cold! and will also take a fair amount of abuse).

My aim would be to allow more than 13AMPs where the wall will deliver that. If you have 13AMP Adaptor for UMC that will (I think?) limit you to 13AMPs regardless of what the wall can do.

But, yeah, you might wind up with a fist full of adaptors.

Hotels with Type-2 is the other route. I'm never confident that reserving one will mean it is actually available when I get there, so like to be prepared with being able to dangle an extension lead out of hotel window (yup, I've done that ...)

Last edited:
I bought the various tails for the UMC for my recent trip to Europe, mainly in case I got stuck somewhere instead of intending to use them at my accommodation.

I didn’t use the UMC because fast chargers happened to be near enough to my destinations. Reassuring to have them with me though.