Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European Sigs - why not allow all options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Johan

Ex got M3 in the divorce, waiting for EU Model Y!
Feb 9, 2012
Drammen, Norway
We all know that the Signature cars have been limited in options: Only four colours to choose from, most other options mandatory including only 85kW battery. US production cars are now in production and there are reports of 60kW cars going in to production early next year. For the P cars all colour options (except signature red) are available, as well as the choice to not order many other options.

It's probable that the first EU Sig's will be produced in March/April according to European representatives. Now I understand the way Tesla has been doing it with the 1000 US Sigs, simplifying the production process by keeping the cars relatively uniform in specifications and colour choises. I would think it would bne natural for the EU sigs to keep the policy of "maxed out" cars (big battery, fully loaded on options) for economic reasons. However, when it comes to colour choices I don't see why I shouldn't be able to get my EU Signature car in green or blue, seeing as the paint shop in the factory obviously by now is up and running with those colours. Opinions on this?

I felt the same way with Canadian Signatures. I wanted green, and it turns out some Green P's were produced before mine. That being said, I'm fine with red, if only because it's "exclusive" and car colour is further down on my priority list.

The only reason I can think of is that would pour salt on our Canadian wounds. ;) The answer I got from Tesla when I asked the same question was, "signature colors will be the same for all of North America". So according to that answer, maybe Europeans have a chance. But don't get your hopes up, since I didn't mention Europe. :)

Good or bad, part of the Signature proposition was that it would have limited options (as well as only-available-in-Signature options). The reasoning is similar to why you can't opt out of some of the option packages on Signature -- "Signature" is a "mini-brand" kind of like AMG, supersport, etc.

Good or bad, part of the Signature proposition was that it would have limited options (as well as only-available-in-Signature options). The reasoning is similar to why you can't opt out of some of the option packages on Signature -- "Signature" is a "mini-brand" kind of like AMG, supersport, etc.

I'm okay with that, but the limiting of colors at the same time that we know for a fact that green, blue, brown etc. cars are being painted seems a little... well... petty?

I guess what I'm saying is that Signature conceptually was/is more than just "early delivery".

I think what you're asking for is "I want the Signature earlyness and the Signature exclusivity, but I want it to be speccable just like a general production vehicle". That's not what they intended, at least as I understood it.

And, frankly, the incomplate follow-through here is part of what's been frustrating to some of the Signature folks (at least in the U.S.) - choose Black/White/Grey paint, choose non-White interior, replace the 3 metal pieces with GP pieces, and you've got a GP vehicle. Corrodes the "specialness" of the Signature offering. Put another way, the Performance package is more special than the Signature package. That's kinda sad.

I guess what I'm saying is that Signature conceptually was/is more than just "early delivery"... Put another way, the Performance package is more special than the Signature package. That's kinda sad.

Which is why I dropped off the signature list and ordered a Performance. As it turns out the delay is probably only going to be a couple of months. (Sig 949 to GP 5651) For the the Signature list made sense if you were really low on it, or didn't make a reservation at all until about January 2012 (so at the very end), or you REALLY wanted sig red or white leather. There are other valid reasons, like wanting to be more supportive of Tesla (which is why I didn't take $35,000 back out after downgrading).

Anyway, to get back to OP's question... I don't think that there's a logistical reason, more that they've decided that the Signatures will all be one of four colors everywhere. I doubt that Euro Sig is going to be that much of a delivery advantage either. Production will be in full swing by then and so Euro sigs should be done quickly.

The same is going to apply to Australia or basically any right hand drive country. As it stands, a weeks production is likely to satisfy the current backorder list. So, where is the advantage of the signature? It costs more, has a single exclusive internal and external colour option, and???...
Not to mention the price in Australia will be astronomical even for the base model. Possibly twice that in the USA with our dollar being stronger than the USA!!!!! The only comfort we can take is that the new price is not going to apply to those who reserved prior to Dec 31. Officially and in writing!
I may well drop off the sig list when the time comes and save the difference. To give you all an idea, the Nissan Leaf sells in Australia for $52000.00!!! A ridiculous figure for a small car with limited range.

If Tesla doesn't change any of this (limited options, "Sig premium" with no apparent value added) I will drop back to Production #533 and happily wait the extra 2 or 3 months (or maybe just one month?).

The same is going to apply to Australia or basically any right hand drive country. As it stands, a weeks production is likely to satisfy the current backorder list. So, where is the advantage of the signature? It costs more, has a single exclusive internal and external colour option, and???...
Not to mention the price in Australia will be astronomical even for the base model. Possibly twice that in the USA with our dollar being stronger than the USA!!!!! The only comfort we can take is that the new price is not going to apply to those who reserved prior to Dec 31. Officially and in writing!
I may well drop off the sig list when the time comes and save the difference. To give you all an idea, the Nissan Leaf sells in Australia for $52000.00!!! A ridiculous figure for a small car with limited range.

A pure guess, but what's happening with the Canadian orders seems a possible route they'd follow for the other countries. Once they've made the sigs, they open up finalize emails for the production cars with a 2-3 month delay (Canadian sigs arriving soon, Canadian production just invited to finalize with estimated delivery Feb/Mar). Not that it would answer the main question of this thread.