TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

European standard garages and falcon door wings height

Discussion in 'Model X' started by AndyP, Aug 31, 2015.

1. AndyP

AndyP Member

In europe there are a couple of standard size garage Doors.

the most Common used in the region were I live (Belgium) is 2m250.
    2m125 and 2m500 are the other 2 standards.

we all heard About "If An Audi Q7 can open Its backdoor (tailgate) or whatever the name is in english, the falcon Doors Will fit also.

But Like in Some occasions the Floor gets put a little bit higher (About An inch or in European measurements About 2 cm). This means the flacon Doors can have max 2m22 (If you keep 1cm space for safemargin).

is there Any idea when these specs Will BE released? This upcomming friday I have An appointment with tesla Brussels and besides the Well known electricity issues and necessary adaptions If these can BE made , potentially I'll need to put in a new double garage door... Its getting harder to convince the wife especially As the Belgian (wallon) gouvernement just added a lovely 6.000$ extra tax on Tesla's on top of the standard 21% flat tax!

I'm willing to build my case But the Total cost all-in Cannot go above 100.000€ (112.000$) or I can most likely write Off this dream or Settle for the basic version with no options...

hoping for Doors that stay below 2m22, that Will already safe me About 4.000€

2. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

You can see guesstimates and what others are doing worth their garages in this thread:

3. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

"As the Belgian (wallon) gouvernement just added a lovely 6.000$ extra tax on Tesla's on top of the standard 21% flat tax"
    What's!? Why they did that?

4. Raven

Raven Member

I'd have to believe that Tesla would make the MX falcon doors and hatch with the same upper-limit adjustment capability as the MS hatch. Meaning you can lower the maximum height to which the door opens.

5. loganthefirst

loganthefirst Member

Can someone fix the "hight" typo in the thread title...That gets me as much as the Model X doors being misaligned, haha.

6. spottyq

spottyq Member

There is a tax based on the power of the vehicule (amongst many others.)

Before, what was written on the official papers of the car is that is was capable of 69kW/92hp (which is I believe the continuous rating of the car) but since a few month it has changed to show an other, more realistic value*. And with such a powerful car, well… you pay the maximum.

*And it's not even correct yet. I think it only shows the front motor power for the D models. But anyway, it is still way more than the power above which you have to pay the maximum (anything more powerful than 155kW/207hp must pay that price.)

7. kushari

kushari Model S 70D

If you see the other threads, it mentions in the standard options that the doors auto sense the roof of your garage. /End thread lol.

8. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Not necessarily, here are some scenarios we found:

- people may want to remodel the garage to make sure they open fully, so knowing the target dimensions helps
    - people with weird garage interior shapes may use the info to decide to park nose- or tail- first and thus change where they'd like the charger to be installed.

9. kushari

kushari Model S 70D

Darn! I stand corrected!

10. CarlK

CarlK Member

There are sensors that allow the FWD to open part way to let passengers to exit. The other solution is to let passengers exit before you put the car in the garage.

11. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Good news for those "Garage Challenged".... the spec shown on the Model X page says the Falcon Wings Doors are height adjustable to fit any garage.

12. ssq

ssq Member

#12 ssq, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Better yet they have inbuilt sensors to height-adjust to any garage. So that's automated instead of manually setting it.

13. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

#13 Atlantis, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks for the enlightening. But I'm little sceptical about this tax as taxes based in vehicle power would have to be applied to prevent global warming/pollution, or at least (import) fuel consumption, not to free emission and free fuel consumption vehicles, at least in my point of view.

14. kiefer

kiefer Member

Sounds really good, this has been the biggest concern from my wife, wether the car would fit into our garage or not. The height inside our garage is only 2.3m.

/Martin

15. spottyq

spottyq Member

Oh, there is a separate tax for CO2 emissions (for which an EV does not pay anything; small, efficient ICE's also do not have to pay this tax.)

The tax based on power is purely a 'luxury' tax. The reasoning is that nobody needs that much horsepower. (Utility vehicules have a different tax scheme, they do not pay a tax based on power.)