TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model X Falcon Wing Door crashed into a beam in my garage

Discussion in 'Model X' started by F-Juice, Sep 30, 2018.

1. F-Juice

F-Juice New Member

Hi Everyone,

I've seen a couple of posts about the same issue but I couldn't really get the answers I was looking reading them.
    Yesterday, after parking my 1 week old Model X in my garage, the sensor on the Falcon Wing Door failed to notice a beam and slammed the door into it.
    Sadly one of the glass panel was hit and I now have a small dent and cracks near the corner of the horizontal panel behind the passenger seat.
    From the inside, there is nothing visible, but you can notice it from the outside.

Reading this forum, it looks like issues like that have happened quite frequently to Model X owners, with the sensors failing to detect obstacles and the door ending up damaged.
    I'd like to ask other members/owners of Model Xs how they dealt with this issue ?
    Did Tesla cover for the repair ? How long did it take for the Service Centre to fix the issue.
    In case you were out of your pocket, how much was the cost of replacement ?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Fred

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the damage.

You may try to see whether Tesla would repair for free as a courtesy but Owner's Manual is very clear about who is responsible in this case: Driver.

More likely, your insurance covers it or yourself.

• Like x 2
  3. lynnpt2001

lynnpt2001 Cookie Monster MX & M3

I covered all my potential hazards in the garage with foam, had the car since July and yes one time it opened into the garage door track, covered with a foam noodle like the ones used in a pool. Thank goodness I did that. As a new owner I was concerned that this would happen

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  4. bayx

bayx Member

Yea, but I think an argument can be made that the sensor failed, which isn't the driver's fault. In this case, the car is only a week old, so I would definitely push to have them replace it under warranty.

• Like x 1
  5. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Just like with any other door, it is the responsibility of who ever opens the door to check if there is enough clearance before opening.

I would ask them if they could fix it as a courtesy, but they have no obligation to do so.

In my garage the sensors have so far worked perfectly, but I always have eyes on to stop it if it gets too close to the hard points.

• Like x 1
  6. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Thats what my wife did, pool noodles to the rescue just in case the door ever gets amnesia... :p

Jeff

• Funny x 1
  7. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Tesla discloses that its sensors are not perfect and it would call that as "limitations" not failure.

8. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Welcome to the Forums!

Pictures or it never happened

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. Nuclear Fusion

Nuclear Fusion Active Member

I’m quite confident this wouldn’t hold up in court - there is no manual operation alternative

10. Nuclear Fusion

Nuclear Fusion Active Member

Disclosures have to be bleedingly obvious to avoid legal liability

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

There is only one sensor on the Model X to detect overhead obstructions. You can see the dimple on the roof between the doors. If that sensor cannot "see" the obstruction it will not limit the opening. Beams are notoriously a problem because they are narrow and might not be in the path of the beam. For overhead garage doors it is possible the tracks cannot be seen at all because they are so narrow.

If you have a potential overhead obstruction you should be careful opening the doors in those areas. I generally make passengers wait until I can exit the car and manually open the door. You can also set the height yourself such as in your garage, to be limited opening.