Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

European SuperCharger rollout updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow thats extremely slow when you are driving to france and need 4/5 stops

From the picture I can see that there was 195 km left in the battery when it was plugged to the SuC. So reading 66 KW is PERFECTLY NORMAL. You can read only more than 110 kW if you have less than, say, 20% left in your battery. Above (I would say) 33 %, the power tapers down pretty fast. So you have to do the test again to see if the limitation comes from the feeding line or from the normal taper curve.
AFAIK, in France, only the Nîmes and Vienne (=Lyon) SuCs are feeding line limited. The others have the normal limitation of a SuC : 120 kW, shared on two plugs. And this limitation is not specific to the temporary setup. Two plugs always share 120 KW, even with the final setup.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? When I charged at Oosterhout I got above 500km/h for a long time:

ru6azegy.jpg

gequnapy.jpg

You can see from your picture that the power is a little bit less than 90 kW (374V / 240 A) for about 180/410 = 44 % SoC. So maybe 66 KW at 195 km is a little bit weak, but other factors (eg temperatures) may play a role.
The best way to really know what the maximum power is, is to connect a car with a very low SoC.

As for the Km/h rate, I believe that it's an average indication from the start of the charging session. It's not instant. So if you plug at 50% SoC, you'll never be able to see very high rates, because you missed that part of the curve where the power reaches its maximum.

You can see from your picture that the power is a little bit less than 90 kW (374V / 240 A) for about 180/410 = 44 % SoC. So maybe 66 KW at 195 km is a little bit weak, but other factors (eg temperatures) may play a role.
The best way to really know what the maximum power is, is to connect a car with a very low SoC.

As for the Km/h rate, I believe that it's an average indication from the start of the charging session. It's not instant. So if you plug at 50% SoC, you'll never be able to see very high rates, because you missed that part of the curve where the power reaches its maximum.

Today we're travelling back from Paris to Utrecht (the last leg in our journey from Gijon (Spain) to Utrecht).

We plan to charge at the Nivelles supercharger. We'll arrive with a fairly low soc, so we can discover the max output.

@Gastogne - Nivelles will open next week

Hm okay, not really ideal because when you drive to Paris the route goes via Lille, but I read a couple of pages back close to Arras will open a SuC? Any idea when that may be.

Also, couple of questions:
On pictures I see people with an amount of kW instead of km/h charging. How do you set it to kW?

And what's the deal with those temporary SuC? Are they there only for people who want on vacation to disappear after and be built permanent on another spot? Also, will there be more in that case (two stalls is not very much)

And what's the deal with those temporary SuC? Are they there only for people who want on vacation to disappear after and be built permanent on another spot? Also, will there be more in that case (two stalls is not very much)

I've read and been told that they are all just stop-gap solutions pending the full planning permissions.

In Belgium there will be SuC's at Gent and near Namur - the delay with these is apparently getting the power there, Tesla are waiting for the utility company.

I was also told by a Tesla employee that there will be 24/7 SuC bays in the new Service Centre in Antwerp - whether that's when it opens or after a while I don't know. They also wanted to place some SuC's at Brussels SeC, but the premises are just too small - they may well relocate in the not too distant future and then it could be possible.

Plus I was told somewhere near Maastricht was planned, which would be a good spot for heading into Germany for us in Belgium.

All this verbally, so stronger than rumour, commensurate to "coming soon" I'd say :smile:

We needn't be too disappointed about this 68 kW maximum.
Charging tapers of to that speed after a while, anyway.
So a full charge starting out a 68 takes longer than one starting out at 120, but less than you might expect.

True but someone has already pointed that 68/2=34. And you can expect that these two plugs are going to be busy...

If these power-limited, mobile Superchargers work like the permanent stations in the U.S., the power is now shared equally. Normal operation is to give the first car to arrive priority and as much charging power as it can accept, then give the remainder of the power available to the second car to arrive. When the first car leaves, the second car takes priority, etc. With only 68 kW available, the second car to arrive may wait awhile to get much power.

(LMB spouse)

@Cottonwood - Are you sure? I thought the method was: first car gets priority but the second car gets at least 30 kilowatts. So at a 120 kilowatt Supercharger, the first car gets 90 kW (even if it could accept more) when the second car connects. I'm not asserting that this method is used with the portable chargers however.

Does anyone know what the situation at e.g. Bethesda, MD is? This is (or used to be) a portable charger.

If these power-limited, mobile Superchargers work like the permanent stations in the U.S., the power is now shared equally. Normal operation is to give the first car to arrive priority and as much charging power as it can accept, then give the remainder of the power available to the second car to arrive. When the first car leaves, the second car takes priority, etc. With only 68 kW available, the second car to arrive may wait awhile to get much power.

I just returned from France, the chargers give the first car priority in a 80/20 way....

Seems fair, but 80/20 of 68 kW is 54kW/14kW. 14 kW is a bit slow for a Supercharger, but better than nothing...

As long as people will not charge 100% when not needed and when other people are waiting/charging at 20%. all would be quite ok. Issue is that many will now try to get to Auxerre direct. It is 433 km, but if you go off the freeway, 399 is possible. However, better to drive over Reims and charge at IKEA or over Paris. You can charge at almost any Renault chargepoint at 22kW for free. Need a Type3c cable for that however. If you have to share in Belgium, and you get 14... better get 22kW in between.