Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki European UMC adapter resistor coding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

widodh

Model S 100D and Y LR
Jan 23, 2011
Venlo, NL
The European Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) comes with a couple of different adapters:

* Schuko (13A, 3kW)
* CEE Blue 1-phase (32A, 7kW)
* CEE Red 3-phase (16A, 11kW)

The image below shows the CEE Red 3-phase 16A adapter plugged in to a CEE outlet. This allows charging up to 11kW (3-phase 16A).

tesla_model-s_eu_umc_in_red_cee.jpg

The adapter without being attached to the UMC.

tesla_model-s_eu_umc_cee_adapter.jpg

Based on the adapter plugged in the UMC decides how the pilot signal towards Model S is set. Based on the adapter used Model S will use a different maximum current.

At the back of the adapter there are 7 connections:

tesla_model-s_eu_umc_connector.jpg

A resistor between 6 and 1 (Ground) tells the UMC which adapter is plugged in. A overview of all the adapters can be found below.

The connector layout per adapter:

13A Schuko
1. Ground
2. Neutral
3. L1
4. L1
5. L1
6. Pilot
7. Not Connected

Resistor between 1 (Ground) and 6 ("Pilot"): 100kΩ

16A 3-phase Red IEC 60309 CEE (as displayed above)
1. Ground
2. Neutral
3. L3
4. L2
5. L1
6. Pilot
7. Not Connected

Resistor between 1 (Ground) and 6 ("Pilot"): 51kΩ

32A 1-phase Blue IEC 60309 CEE
1. Ground
2. Neutral
3. L1
4. L1
5. L1
6. Pilot
7. Not Connected

Resistor between 1 (Ground) and 6 ("Pilot"): 20kΩ

10A UK plug
1. Ground
2. Neutral
3. Not Connected
4. Not Connected
5. L1
6. Pilot
7. Not Connected

Resistor between 1 (Ground) and 6 ("Pilot"): 200kΩ

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: .jg.
Modify red Tesla adapter

What would happen if you modify the red Tesla adapter so that the resistance between 1 (Ground) and 6 ("Pilot") becomes 20k ohm?

Will the UMC signal to Tesla that it offers 32A 3-phase? Will the charger in the Tesla accept this and draw 32A 3-phase?

Does the Tesla in any way detect what UMC it is connected to?

What would happen if you modify the red Tesla adapter so that the resistance between 1 (Ground) and 6 ("Pilot") becomes 20k ohm?

Will the UMC signal to Tesla that it offers 32A 3-phase? Will the charger in the Tesla accept this and draw 32A 3-phase?

Good question. I think it will draw 32A 3-phase then.

BUT, I don't think the wires in the UMC are capable of 3x32A!

Surely when supplying 32A single phase, all 32A return through the neutral line? Are you saying the Neutral is rated for 32A but L1-3 are only rated for 16A?

32A single phase is only for IT nets where neutral line is non-existent. 32A is between L1-L2 or L1-L3 or L2-L3, depending on how the blue outlet is wired. I believe.

I know that this is an ancient thread, but as it's the best source of data on the resistor values I can find on the web, I thought I'd update it to cover the UK 13A socket adapter, which is unfortunately down-rated to 10A :-(

The resistor value for such an adapter is 200kΩ, and L3/L4 are (unlike the description for the Schuko), not connected, giving, overall:

10A UK plug
1. Ground
2. Neutral
3. Not Connected
4. Not Connected
5. L1
6. Pilot
7. Not Connected

Resistor between 1 (Ground) and 6 ("Pilot"): 200kΩ

If anyone with suitable permissions would like to edit this into the first post, then please do so!

• Informative
Reactions: pjw65 and mblakele
Reviving an old thread but what is the difference between bridging 3-4-5 on all L1 for Schuko and blue adapter vs not connecting 3-4 and connecting 5? I always thought bridging was the best way b/c when the resistor says 32A it draws 10,6A each for a total of 32A. I always assumed it had some internal cicuit that prevented each pin pulling 32A or 16A unless the L's had an angle difference of 120 degrees a.k.a. three phase. I would appreciate someone explaining.

Thanks.

This is exactly the thread I was looking for...

There's a stranded model X owner from Norway who's being towed to my place for charging and needs power for 126km to reach the closest type 2 public charger. If he charges over Schuko, it will be 8.4hours (assuming he'll be driving slow and manages 300Wh/km from now on). I also have a 56mm CEE 3phase plug at 16A (Teslas have already charged at 3x16A numerous times with the proper adapter), but he only got the blue single phase 32A mobile connector adapter with him. Any way to modify the adaptor in order to support 3 phase charging?

I was thinking opening the blue adapter, hard wiring phases/neutral/ground and adding a 100kΩ resistor between pins 1 and 6. I suspect that would do the trick. Can the blue commando adaptor be opened?

Last edited:
This is exactly the thread I was looking for...

There's a stranded model X owner from Norway who's being towed to my place for charging and needs power for 126km to reach the closest type 2 public charger. If he charges over Schuko, it will be 8.4hours (assuming he'll be driving slow and manages 300Wh/km from now on). I also have a 56mm CEE 3phase plug at 16A (Teslas have already charged at 3x16A numerous times with the proper adapter), but he only got the blue single phase 32A mobile connector adapter with him. Any way to modify the adaptor in order to support 3 phase charging?

I was thinking opening the blue adapter, hard wiring phases/neutral/ground and adding a 100kΩ resistor between pins 1 and 6. I suspect that would do the trick. Can the blue commando adaptor be opened?

Would it not be easier to buy a 32A single phase blue commando socket and some suitable cable (4mm+ cores) locally, then wire it to a separate 32A breaker? You wouldn't risk destroying the Tesla Blue adaptor and you would have 32A single phase supply for some future use. He would be able to charge at about 35 kmh => under 4 hours charging.

The blue adapter does not seem to open. Also unfortunately, I do not have a 32A breaker out in the open, so I have switched the red plug on my cable to a blue one (using only one phase) and manually charging at 19A, which seems to work so far...

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/en_EU/installation_guide_umc_blue_eu.pdf

Did anyone with a MS 60 or 85 base succeed in charging 32A single phase with a single charger? Possibly using the BLUE UMC adaptor? HPWC won't go higher than 16A, while on a new MD 90 the HPWC charger 32A.

I use a UMC, with the blue 32A Commando/IEC 60309 adaptor to charge from a 32A Commando/IEC 60309 single phase socket in my garage. I get 32A => 7.5 kW => 22 mph. I have an S 90D with a single charger, not an MS 60 or 85.

Modify red Tesla adapter

Good question. I think it will draw 32A 3-phase then.

BUT, I don't think the wires in the UMC are capable of 3x32A!
Very interesting, but I worry to test it first.
Do we do not have answer yet?

Attachments

• 2019-02-05 17.52.13.JPG
    2019-02-05 17.52.13.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 317