Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV charger installation cost Sydney Metro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not Sydney (Darwin) Cost us about $2700 for the charger install alone, does not include the charger, would have been the same for a 32amp plug. We had some other minor work done at the same time, but have removed that from this amount. Included upgrading current wiring from 15 amp (for Leaf) to 32 Amp & 15 Amp. New conduit & wiring etc, 30 meter external run. Upside is only had to wait a couple of months to get the job done.

Reactions: Elec_grunt
Like anything electrical it depends on distance and ease.

If you have an up to date electrical box with spare ways, and the install position is next to or through the wall from the electrical box, it will be cheap.

If its a 20+m run through roof cavities and walls, or needing trenching, the price will go up.

Reactions: cafz and Maximillan
Like anything electrical it depends on distance and ease.

If you have an up to date electrical box with spare ways, and the install position is next to or through the wall from the electrical box, it will be cheap.

If its a 20+m run through roof cavities and walls, or needing trenching, the price will go up.
This thread truly is the "how long is a piece string" conundrum! :)

Can you share what you fell short of the required standard? I thought the 2 determinants were the size of the main supply fuse (minimum 100A or 80A) and free slot space in the swtchboard.

@cafz can answer for their specific case, but I recently had my house sub-board modified to rearrange my phases so that my PW2 backed up the phases that I most want to stay on if there is a grid outage. As part of that, the sparky also brought the whole board “up to current standards” because as soon as a switchboard is touched other than for pure maintenance, that is a requirement.

For example, my old board had a single earth leakage circuit breaker for 5 power circuits which is not allowed any more, each circuit needs its own. Also my lighting circuits were just current protected not earth leakage protected, and that’s not allowed any more either. So it turned out to be a whole-day of cable rearranging, new board installation and switch-upgrading that cost a fair bit.

Can you share what you fell short of the required standard? I thought the 2 determinants were the size of the main supply fuse (minimum 100A or 80A) and free slot space in the swtchboard.
It was mounted too high up, for one (now has to be low enough that most adults can reach the breakers without assistance). It was so old that one of the circuits was labelled for the "Copper"!

@cafz can answer for their specific case, but I recently had my house sub-board modified to rearrange my phases so that my PW2 backed up the phases that I most want to stay on if there is a grid outage. As part of that, the sparky also brought the whole board “up to current standards” because as soon as a switchboard is touched other than for pure maintenance, that is a requirement.

For example, my old board had a single earth leakage circuit breaker for 5 power circuits which is not allowed any more, each circuit needs its own. Also my lighting circuits were just current protected not earth leakage protected, and that’s not allowed any more either. So it turned out to be a whole-day of cable rearranging, new board installation and switch-upgrading that cost a fair bit.
Can you please share what did it cost you.

Yeah the cost of this sound be pretty cheap. I installed the HPWC literally next to the switchboard in the garage and the cost of the electrician with parts was around $200. The HPWC came free with car (Tesla used to include them in the boot of the car).

I guess if you want to place it elsewhere there is the cable cost and conduit.

But yeah our switchboard was already up to spec

Yeah the cost of this sound be pretty cheap. I installed the HPWC literally next to the switchboard in the garage and the cost of the electrician with parts was around $200. The HPWC came free with car (Tesla used to include them in the boot of the car).

$200? Unless thats a freind, thats insane. $500 minimum unless he is trying to win a race to the bottom.

Going back further tesla used to ship them out to you well before the car arrived so that you could be ready for when the car arrives. Very exciting day when that box arrived.