Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV tariffs - really only 3 at the moment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not on the new builds around here....have quizzed 3 recently about EV charging provisions on behalf of my son.

Nothing.

Nadda.

Certainly no 2 meter.set-ups.
It’s now a Building Regulation requirement (England) for all new houses / flats etc where they have off street parking to provide ev charging (subject to a few get out clauses such as cost) came in June 2022 but will take some time to filter through, although I know some councils near me have put it in as a planning requirement prior to the building regs changes. Nothing re 2 meters though, at least not in the Building Regulations

for IO - if you’re a rare charger I think its a bit of a gap in octopus’ plan right now. Technically yes you get the 6 hours but thats predicated on Octopus controlling when you charge. Yes that might mean you get an ‘out of hours’ bonus slot, but also means Octopus might avoid eg 1am-2am if thats going to be a high CO2 or expensive slot. Yes you’re still getting cheap rate at that time but your household baseload will be much lower than an EV so octopus controlling the large EV demand is worth trading an extra couple of hours for your house.

As long as you use the app to schedule your car though there shouldn’t be a problem

Reactions: DaveNN
for IO - if you’re a rare charger I think its a bit of a gap in octopus’ plan right now. Technically yes you get the 6 hours but thats predicated on Octopus controlling when you charge. Yes that might mean you get an ‘out of hours’ bonus slot, but also means Octopus might avoid eg 1am-2am if thats going to be a high CO2 or expensive slot. Yes you’re still getting cheap rate at that time but your household baseload will be much lower than an EV so octopus controlling the large EV demand is worth trading an extra couple of hours for your house.

As long as you use the app to schedule your car though there shouldn’t be a problem
This.

I’m on the Scottish Power standard online tariff with a 12p cheap rate. But for the life of me i can’t find what the cheep rate hours are. Does anybody know.
I'm on Scottish Power but I think the time clock was set on the day when the clocks changed or something?
Our off peak in winter is 1:55am to 8:55am (which is rather useful) and summer a further hour ahead which is very useful. That gives us off peak for all the morning load.
Then we flip over to battery for the rest of the day.
Ours is an analogue clock unit to easy to see what the period is.

Not all new build owners will want an EV and what's to stop the use of a granny charger?

Sounds like PV wiring would be more complicated with 2x meters / circuits too? ... PV to house, and then "spill-over" any excess to EV charger.

My bet is that there will never be a tax on EV charging (PV / Granny Chargers / generators :eek: too difficult), but instead a mileage-levy (an annual declaration / MOT seems easiest to implement retrospectively, but could be spy-in-cab I suppose - which would also allow charging by time-of-use, which would definitely be better than annual-declaration as it would shift some traffic to off-peak)

With the Day rate on Go/Intelligence being much higher than the price cap right now it begs the question so how much night time electricity do I have to use to make it actually cheaper to use IO/Go.
So I thought I would work it out.

using typical figures of:
Price Cap Fixed Rate = 34p
Go/IO day rate = 41.6p
Go Night = 12p
IO Night = 10p
That means that currently to break even with price cap you would have to overnight use:
IO = 22.6%
Go = 24.1%
Use less than that and flat rate price cap is cheaper. use more and Go/IO is better. That might sound like a lot but I recon the average 3-4 bed with gas heating might use between 10-20 kwh per day (excluding charging) which means you would only have to be charging for between 2.5-5 hours per week on a 7kw charger before reaching the break even point.
This is the worst case of course that assumes no other night time use like dishwasher/tumble drier etc. if you are using a couple of kw a night anyway that number could easily fall to as little as 1.5-3.5 hours charging a week to break even.
for reference ( by my GCSE maths) the formula to work out the % of electricity that has to be used at night rate to break even is:

100*(Fixed rate - Day rate)/(Night rate - Day rate)

this is all assuming standing charge is the same on all tariffs or close enough to make no difference

With the Day rate on Go/Intelligence being much higher than the price cap right now it begs the question so how much night time electricity do I have to use to make it actually cheaper to use IO/Go.
So I thought I would work it out.

using typical figures of:
Price Cap Fixed Rate = 34p
Go/IO day rate = 41.6p
Go Night = 12p
IO Night = 10p
That means that currently to break even with price cap you would have to overnight use:
IO = 22.6%
Go = 24.1%
Use less than that and flat rate price cap is cheaper. use more and Go/IO is better. That might sound like a lot but I recon the average 3-4 bed with gas heating might use between 10-20 kwh per day (excluding charging) which means you would only have to be charging for between 2.5-5 hours per week on a 7kw charger before reaching the break even point.
This is the worst case of course that assumes no other night time use like dishwasher/tumble drier etc. if you are using a couple of kw a night anyway that number could easily fall to as little as 1.5-3.5 hours charging a week to break even.
for reference ( by my GCSE maths) the formula to work out the % of electricity that has to be used at night rate to break even is:

100*(Fixed rate - Day rate)/(Night rate - Day rate)

this is all assuming standing charge is the same on all tariffs or close enough to make no difference
Or bite the bullet and fit battery storage for home ( and Solar for thw whole hog apprach) then charge those batts at 10p too... Yes its big upfront cost but the potential for "everything at 10p in nov/dec/jan/feb and pretty much free for rest of year will start to offset it pretty quickly...

To be transparent i have 12kwh of batts and 6.5kw panels... so am a little biased.. but funded via mortgage cost me nothing up front at 100quid a month. Im saving more than that.

Reactions: DaveNN