TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EV will be charged driving in 10 and 101 Express Lane, too

Discussion in 'Model S' started by freeewilly, Apr 27, 2018.

1. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

• Informative x 1
  2. croman

croman Active Member

3. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Yeah, but very few true carpools are in the HOV lane. I have not seen a carpool bus in a long time. Decades ago, 1/4 of the traffic was 15 passenger vans. Just because you have more than 1 person in a car doesn't make it a carpool. A carpool is when 2 or more people who are driving to work in individual cars team up and rideshare. It's not somebody taking their kid shopping, or a husband and wife going to dinner. Neither of those reduce traffic, unless the husband and wife normally take 2 cars to go to dinner together.

I did both the Vanpool route and 4 person round-robin ridesharing in the 1980's. The HOV lanes made it so there was no travel time penalty going to work. It takes longer to load and unload Vanpools and Rideshares, so without an HOV lane, it just makes it more miserable.

• Like x 1
  4. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

#4 McRat, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  5. trm2

trm2 Member

I did not purposely hit any of the icons. I’m sorry, i must have bumped it while scrolling. I’ve actually never even used a HOV Lane - we don’t have them around here.

• Like x 1
  6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

It is the same thing when using the I-91 Toll lanes in Orange County/Riverside. The stickers are not enough to get you access. You need a Fast Track transponder. WIth the stickers you are allowed to set your transponder for 3 people, giving you reduced rates when traveling. If you go without a transponder, you will get a bill in the mail.

You cannot use cash or card. There are no toll booths. Everything is automated. Cameras are at every access/exit point.

7. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Active Member

I always thought car pool lanes were there to help alleviate traffic congestion. I don't see how EVs alleviate congestion.

8. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Active Member

If it's more about avoiding pollution, then the highest polluting vehicles should get to use the car pool lane as it usually moves faster and will get these polluting vehicles off the roads more quickly. :D

• Like x 1
  9. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Shaq, is that you?
    Shaq shares his absurd logic for how to pay less for gas

• Funny x 3
  10. ACA Man

ACA Man Member

Those are toll lanes.

11. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

I used to driver Vipers. Used to joke that since Vipers get the best fuel economy cruising at highway speeds, and since EV's and Hybrids get their best mileage when in stop and go traffic, the best use of the HOV lanes would be to reserve it for the gas guzzlers, and keep the efficient vehicles in the slow lanes :)

Of course, now that I drive a Tesla, my views have changed.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  12. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

This is why I avoid Northern Mexico.

• Funny x 3
  13. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

I LOLed when I read “I cannot subsidize someone who puts their tie on and drives their Tesla to work in these lanes,”

sounds like someones jealous and bitter.