Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 to a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon, everyone.

I ended up trading Ruby the EV6 for a Model Y last night. My 5 months with the EV6 was fantastic, and the mechanical bits were every bit as awesome as I hoped going in. Ultimately, it was the lousy CCS charging experience combined with software that seemed like an afterthought that drove me to making the switch. For anyone interested, here are a few thoughts I have between the two.

IMG_8333.jpegIMG_7391.jpegIMG_8163.jpeg

Driving

The driving experience between the two is very different. The aggressive looks of the EV6 belie its fantastic road manners and refinement. I think my EV6 was the quietest and best-riding car I've ever had, and was MUCH better than the Model 3 that I had for two years previously. Everything was tight, there were no unusual noises, and it was a joy on the highway. In comparison, the Y has a choppier ride, a bit more noise, and a strange booming resonance when I go over bumps at higher speed. It's not enough to be intrusive and much better than my '19 Model 3 was, but not to the level of the EV6.

Compared to the athletic EV6, I think the Model Y looks like a bloated fish. But the handling is the polar opposite with the aggressive steering ratio and smaller wheel. Despite its much larger size, the Model Y is 330 lbs lighter, and you can feel it. My AWD EV6 had the slick front axle disconnect that improved high-speed efficiency, but it came at the expense of a noticeable lag as the motor spun up deliver the power that my right foot was requesting. The Y is locked in at all times, and power comes on like a hammer. The standard Y calibration has a throttle tip-in that's somewhere between normal and Sport Mode on the EV6.

For overall performance, they're extremely close. I've seen drag races where the EV6 was right next to the Model Y up to about 60 MPH, and that's about my experience. The RWD EV6 isn't anything special for performance, but my AWD model felt like a rocketship. I think my '19 Standard Range 3 would walk it above 70 MPH though; the power dropoff at higher speeds was more pronounced. Below 60, it wasn't even close. Up until the Model Y, that EV6 was the fastest thing I've owned.

Interior and Storage

The Model Y really stands out for interior usability. It has a much larger cabin with over 75 cubic feet(2.12 cubic meters) compared to 52(1.47 cubic meters) for the EV6. The difference feels smaller because of how well laid out the EV6 is, but you can't beat the massive trunk well and frunk. Today was a good reminder of why I liked that frunk in the wintertime when I loaded almost half of a shopping cart's worth of cold groceries in the frunk to keep them chilled on the hour-long ride home. It's tough to beat that convenience.

The center console of the Y is closed off to deliver a cockpit-like feel, which isn't as usable as the big open tub underneath the rotary shifter in the EV6. The wireless charger is a better compared to the single unit under the driver's arm on the EV6. I never used it on my EV6 because of wired CarPlay, but that's a language that Tesla does not speak, so I'll be using it from now on. My Y came with the optional white interior, which looks great when it's clean. I'm concerned about keeping it that way, as I'm a bit neurotic about having a decent-looking car.

The EV6 is a lot more usable than the size difference would suggest. The overall passenger room seems about even between the two, but the rear passengers sit lower than the Y. The long cargo area is great. The first photo below is my EV6 swallowing 10 bags of topsoil with a rake and hose on top. My boys were comfortably in the back seat for the ride home, and there was no noticeable squatting with the added weight. I was impressed.

IMG_8498.jpegIMG_7341.jpegIMG_7339.jpegIMG_7195.jpeg

Infotainment/Navigation.

This is the one area that Tesla has the clear advantage. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. The physical controls of the EV6 great, but it didn't take long to get used to Tesla's system again despite the critical reviews. I hate the fact that Tesla does not support CarPlay, but Tesla's in-car system remains the best in the business despite some rearranging since I last left. The second-generation system in my Y with the Ryzen processor is noticeably snappier than the one in my last Tesla. And even the old Intel chip would leave Kia's UVO system in the dust.

I never had a problem with the speed of Kia's system, though, and I always enjoyed how many options we had within the various menus. But my early-build EV6 lacked preconditioning, and it's been made clear that this feature cannot be added within a simple OTA update. The EV6 doesn't have any kind of trip-planning function and doesn't give you a battery estimate of what will remain once you arrive. That's a major oversight for a company that's been making EVs for three years now, but I expect it will eventually be corrected with an OTA update at some point down the line. This shouldn't be a hard problem for Kia to solve.

IMG_7143.jpegIMG_7183.jpeg

To my ear, Tesla has a clear advantage with their sound system. I sat in the EV6 for the first time with high hopes for the 14-speaker Meridian system, but it was a big disappointment. It sounded better than most unbranded systems that I've had in the past, and better than the one in my Standard Range '19 Model 3, but that's as much as I'd give it. I believe this is a calibration issue more than a speaker quality one, so I hope there's some kind of improvement that gets released in the future. In comparison, the Model Y has deep, powerful bass and clear highs that are somewhat neutered when driven by Bluetooth audio. Seems to be better with direct streaming through Spotify, though. I switched to Apple Music when they came out with lossless a couple of years ago, so I hope to get the holiday update to compare the two soon.

Other stuff.

Tesla has long had the best mobile app in the business, and it's gotten even better since I sold my 3. The Kia app is functionally braindead in comparison. It's capable of remotely starting the HVAC, but you only have a limited degree of control. You can set the climate temp at the start, but you can't change it without stopping the system and adjusting the settings within the app. Once you send the command, you have to wait 5-20 seconds for the signal to be sent to the car and the app confirms the change. If you try and change anything before that, you get an "Error: Command in progress." For some silly reason, you can remotely enable the steering wheel heater with climate, but not the seats? It's really bizarre to slide into a warm cabin, grab a toasty wheel, and have a freezing ass.

Kia advertises their 800v system, and for very good reason. The EV6 is a charging hero, and I don't expect the Model Y will be able to beat it. This thing would hold 220 kW from 10-60%, which made it charge the 77 kWh battery to 80% in about 20 minutes. I did this repeatedly on a road trip over the summer. Of course, this isn't possible in the winter with the lack of preconditioning, but later-build EV6es had that fixed. The Electrify America network is every bit the dumpster fire you've heard about, but when they work, it's fast. This won't last forever, though. I was also impressed with how strong the regen is on the EV6. It's noticeably stronger at all speeds to the Model Y despite the Y weighing 300 lbs less. You can do some neat things with 800v because you don't need as much current to do the same amount of work.

IMG_8524.JPEG

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed in.

IMG_8498.jpeg

Last edited:
Cluster panel/instrument is NOT safety feature or doesn't enhance the safety of the car. It is far safer to use your peripheral vision to check the speed and other information (like in M3/MY) than looking down.
Uh... down or sideways is still "peripheral vision".

And it's more like in front of you than looking down so your eyes are still aware of the road.

No one makes a HUD and puts in the center of the windshield.

Yes... there are tons of aftermarket options, some with just simple speed/PDNR/turn signals, others with more information and still more with CarPlay/AA. But the point is, there are tons because people want them.

I'm sure that if Tesla included an upgrade to have a driver display for a few hundred extra... the majority would take it.
I've been tempted by a few of those products. But they are all a little janky in different ways. Not something I would want to introduce into my car's interior. And ditto - people want that. It is one of the reasons I do not think of my Model Y as my forever car, that I might sell it for a Model S that fills in several of the Y's user experience gaps.

Uh... down or sideways is still "peripheral vision".

And it's more like in front of you than looking down so your eyes are still aware of the road.

No one makes a HUD and puts in the center of the windshield.
I am just simply referencing the actual study and the result. I just need to find that study from my old archive folders.
No one puts HUD in the center because HUD = irrelevant. what are you trying to say here?? My statement was about the cluster in the dash in front of the driver and center screen, not about the HUD.

@nate704

What I'm saying is that peripheral vision in front of you rather than to the side seems more intuitive and safer as you tend to drive with your head forward. If you can find that study, I'd be willing to read it, but just from personal experience, I would much rather glance slightly downward than down and to the right (a change of 2 axis vs 1 axis).

Unless we all watch TV diagonally or our bifocals are set to the lower right... not sure how that study deemed something to the side just as safe as something in front of you... especially if we've been trained to look at a driver cluster since we all learned to drive.

And that's why I bring up a HUD... for any vehicle that has one... where do they put it?

Reactions: GoVols!
@nate704

What I'm saying is that peripheral vision in front of you rather than to the side seems more intuitive and safer as you tend to drive with your head forward. If you can find that study, I'd be willing to read it, but just from personal experience, I would much rather glance slightly downward than down and to the right (a change of 2 axis vs 1 axis).

Unless we all watch TV diagonally or our bifocals are set to the lower right... not sure how that study deemed something to the side just as safe as something in front of you... especially if we've been trained to look at a driver cluster since we all learned to drive.

And that's why I bring up a HUD... for any vehicle that has one... where do they put it?
I think peripheral vision is maybe different for different people. While I don't have anything to prove it, for me I feel like my peripheral vision works better to the side than up/down. One of my two biggest concerns before ordering my MYP was the lack of instrument cluster in front of the driver (the other being the rough ride). It took me literally 5 seconds into my test drive to realize that the setup in the Model Y totally worked for me, and has to this day. I get that a lot of people would rather have the instrument cluster in front, but unless I'm a one-off weirdo (totally possible), I think there should also be many who like the current setup in the Model Y.

To be clear, I would say that the reason for the lack of instrument cluster in front of the driver in the MY/M3 is due to cost savings, but I also think the results work very well for me.

To be clear, I would say that the reason for the lack of instrument cluster in front of the driver in the MY/M3 is due to cost savings, but I also think the results work very well for me.
I totally agree.

But it's so funny because there are solutions that range from $25 to $500 that makes it easy to have it so why not make one less reason to complain about a Tesla.

I get it... but I don't think the ratio of cost savings vs functionality is beneficial.

Given that... I would choose more physical controls over a driver display.... that's useful to more people than just the driver... but that cost savings ratio is much higher.

Different strokes... but no BSM, cross-traffic or 360 does hurt. I'm just over 2 years with my Y and although I like mostly everything... my next EV won't be a Tesla (well... depends on the price of a CT :) ).

I totally agree.

But it's so funny because there are solutions that range from $25 to $500 that makes it easy to have it so why not make one less reason to complain about a Tesla.

I get it... but I don't think the ratio of cost savings vs functionality is beneficial.

Given that... I would choose more physical controls over a driver display.... that's useful to more people than just the driver... but that cost savings ratio is much higher.

Different strokes... but no BSM, cross-traffic or 360 does hurt. I'm just over 2 years with my Y and although I like mostly everything... my next EV won't be a Tesla (well... depends on the price of a CT :) ).
I don't know how the economics of car production works, but Tesla saw fit to delete USS over probably a few bucks per car, so who knows how much they save by not having an instrument cluster.

I'm not locked into Tesla by any means for my next car, even though I really love the MYP, but I'm getting real tired of seeing all these other companies announce a bunch of great new EVs that are scheduled to be available in late 2023 (or later, or much later) in super limited quantities. Just be ready to pump the suckers out before advertising or announcing all this crap. (that actually goes for Tesla as well, especially the CT)

Speaking of features/options, I was checking out the Fisker Ocean today on line and love the idea of the solar roof! How cool is that? Really hoping these new players are able to make a go of it. I might put down a deposit just for fun.

AGREED. I do like that Tesla route planning is native to the car and I don't have to do any other pushups to have it working. But ABRP is a great alternative no doubt!
One thing though - Tesla's native navigation isn't good at off-the-grid destinations, or any destination without a destination charger. It seems to want you to arrive with ~ 10%. I wrote another thread about this, and the consensus was you fool it to plan a round trip (which is an option it doesn't have, but should). You can do this by telling your car to go one mile from home in the opposite direction of your destination, then using "add" to put in your actual destination far away, in between. That way it can't let you run out of juice before you're back home.

Explanation: Let's say you're going to visit a national park, drive to a different place in it every day for four days, like 25 miles driving/day, and there's no chargers in the park. Let's say the park is north. So, 1) set your destination 1 mile south of home. 2) use "add" to add a stop like 25 mi north of the national park. Now, it gives you your destination, some extra miles (25 miles twice) and won't let you run out of miles even driving to the park, driving around, and driving back to the last charger.

If you did not do that, you would end up at your campsite in the national park with like 10%, and you might not even have enough juice to get back to that last charger, to say nothing of juice to drive 50 miles.

So, like I said, if T would add round trip planning, it would make trips to no-charger destinations a lot easier. If you could import more complicated plans you did on your computer, it would be even better.

Reactions: henderrj
My MYP EDD is nearing and I’m now considering the Ioniq 5 AWD Limited. Can lease it get the $7500 off the top then buy out the lease a month later. Plus they’re offering me $6000 more for my trade in than the number I just got from Tesla. While the Supercharger network is a huge benefit with Tesla, I honestly supercharged my model 3 one road trip in 3 years of ownership. Everything else was level 2 in my garage.

Tesla's in-car navigation works really well. Probably the best factory navigation system I've used. That said its not perfect.

I still use Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, and ABRP.. in addition to Tesla's in-car nav for many reasons:
  • Apple Maps - best voice guidance, best lane guidance, best visuals. It gives me haptic feedback on my watch when its time to make a turn.
  • Google Maps - best for search & POI. Been quite a few things I've looked for that only show up in Google Maps. Also pretty reliable business ratings.
  • Waze - best for actual driving. Best routing, cop & speed camera alerts, accident/hazard/weather alerts. Most popular crowd-sourced information.
  • ABRP - best for EV navigation and chargers. Granted Tesla has caught up a lot here. But I find nothing makes a long drive quicker in an EV than ABRP. I often pre-plan longer drives so I can see which charging stations I need to stop at.. or how many charging stops a specific drive will require. And you can share that information with other people & devices.
Depending on how long the trip is, for example, 300 miles or so: I run Tesla + Apple + Waze + ABRP. I generally have Waze up on my phone as I care about traffic, cops & speed cameras more than anything. Where as when & where to stop and to charge is secondary.

Last edited:
Reactions: exxxviii
My MYP EDD is nearing and I’m now considering the Ioniq 5 AWD Limited. Can lease it get the $7500 off the top then buy out the lease a month later. Plus they’re offering me $6000 more for my trade in than the number I just got from Tesla. While the Supercharger network is a huge benefit with Tesla, I honestly supercharged my model 3 one road trip in 3 years of ownership. Everything else was level 2 in my garage.
I have advised many people to be careful who they get EV advice from.. and how much that advice meets your actual list of needs & wants.

I bought a Model Y because I take longer trips once every month, and I got in when pricing was rock bottom 2 years ago. Later that year when my wife decided she wanted an EV.. she went with the ID.4 because the Model Y was almost $26,000 more than the ID.4 (when you factored in the $7,500 tax credit). The longest trip she will ever take with the ID.4 is from DC to NYC which is about 220 miles apart.. and the ID.4 has a real-world driving range of 200 to 300 miles depending on the weather (no heat pump.. so it drastically loses range in the winter).

If we could go back in time and make the decision all over again.. it would be exactly the same. There was simply no need for her to pay the super-premium for a Tesla when she might literally use a DC fast charger once or twice a year.

Today things are very different. The price of the Model Y has dropped significantly this year. It also NOW qualifies for the $7,500 rebate. And the ID.4 is a little trickier to buy. If I had to make the choice now.. it would be a second Model Y. That said I stick my guidance to make sure you know what you need & want.. and choose the vehicle that works best for you. Not somebody else.

Last edited:
One thing though - Tesla's native navigation isn't good at off-the-grid destinations, or any destination without a destination charger. It seems to want you to arrive with ~ 10%. I wrote another thread about this, and the consensus was you fool it to plan a round trip (which is an option it doesn't have, but should). You can do this by telling your car to go one mile from home in the opposite direction of your destination, then using "add" to put in your actual destination far away, in between. That way it can't let you run out of juice before you're back home.

Explanation: Let's say you're going to visit a national park, drive to a different place in it every day for four days, like 25 miles driving/day, and there's no chargers in the park. Let's say the park is north. So, 1) set your destination 1 mile south of home. 2) use "add" to add a stop like 25 mi north of the national park. Now, it gives you your destination, some extra miles (25 miles twice) and won't let you run out of miles even driving to the park, driving around, and driving back to the last charger.

If you did not do that, you would end up at your campsite in the national park with like 10%, and you might not even have enough juice to get back to that last charger, to say nothing of juice to drive 50 miles.

So, like I said, if T would add round trip planning, it would make trips to no-charger destinations a lot easier. If you could import more complicated plans you did on your computer, it would be even better.
That's alot of work, just to ensure you have some extra juice once arriving at your destination. I just add extra at the last supercharger before my destination. So I can easily plan to arrive at the destination with 20%, 30%, whatever I choose. If i'm at a destination with charging and I plan on doing a bunch of driving around the local area the next day, just charge it up 90% overnight and go for it.

Speaking of features/options, I was checking out the Fisker Ocean today on line and love the idea of the solar roof! How cool is that? Really hoping these new players are able to make a go of it. I might put down a deposit just for fun.
I love the idea of the Ocean's solar roof; I think it charges at about 400 W. So, it recharges 1.4 miles in an hour, which isn't nothing. If you were camping in the wild and the battery was dead, you could get back on the road with a full battery in about a year. Of the leading new form manufacturers, I think that Fisker has one of the top likelihoods of survival as an independent brand. I would not be surprised if a Legacy or someone like Tesla bought Lucid or Rivian. Polestar is set.

I really don't understand the allure of the solar roof. Such a small area of solar panels will give you only a few miles of extra range IF you park your EV in a sunny place ALL day. I live south of Tucson and my Teslas are in a garage all day. I have no intention of leaving my autos out in the sun unnecessarily just to gain some tiny amount of extra range.

The whole solar roof idea is a gimmick, adding weight and complexity unnecessarily to vehicles for no substantive gain.

Rich

I love the idea of the Ocean's solar roof; I think it charges at about 400 W. So, it recharges 1.4 miles in an hour, which isn't nothing. If you were camping in the wild and the battery was dead, you could get back on the road with a full battery in about a year. Of the leading new form manufacturers, I think that Fisker has one of the top likelihoods of survival as an independent brand. I would not be surprised if a Legacy or someone like Tesla bought Lucid or Rivian. Polestar is set.
Downsides:
1. cost
2. weight on the roof
3. repair/replacement cost (because things will break)
4. parts availability

Reactions: GoVols!
Downsides:
1. cost
2. weight on the roof
4. parts availability
All true of course but just one part of a package I like. I’m thinking more of adding charge while driving on trips, though small - just an extra boost. Make use of an area otherwise unused. I don’t use a carrier up there. I like to see the new guys thinking outside the box a bit. Our Teslas are pretty spartan on features aside from the basics which are very well done but most of us want more IMHO.

Downsides:
1. cost
2. weight on the roof
4. parts availability

I really don't understand the allure of the solar roof. Such a small area of solar panels will give you only a few miles of extra range IF you park your EV in a sunny place ALL day. I live south of Tucson and my Teslas are in a garage all day. I have no intention of leaving my autos out in the sun unnecessarily just to gain some tiny amount of extra range.

The whole solar roof idea is a gimmick, adding weight and complexity unnecessarily to vehicles for no substantive gain.

Rich
Agree wouldn’t park outside just to charge but the idea of being able to generate some limited charge intrigues me. Kind of along the line of carrying a plug kit (and a Modern Spare now) that I haven’t used in years but just in case. Is the extra charge needed? Probably not but like to see the effort and option to expand the thinking. Doubt there’s much to actually go wrong with it and I’d switch before the warranty expired as I usually do.

Don’t go harshing my mellow now! 😉 By the time I’d get one I’m sure the efficiency would make it more practical 👍🏻.