Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 to a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon, everyone.

I ended up trading Ruby the EV6 for a Model Y last night. My 5 months with the EV6 was fantastic, and the mechanical bits were every bit as awesome as I hoped going in. Ultimately, it was the lousy CCS charging experience combined with software that seemed like an afterthought that drove me to making the switch. For anyone interested, here are a few thoughts I have between the two.

IMG_8333.jpegIMG_7391.jpegIMG_8163.jpeg

Driving

The driving experience between the two is very different. The aggressive looks of the EV6 belie its fantastic road manners and refinement. I think my EV6 was the quietest and best-riding car I've ever had, and was MUCH better than the Model 3 that I had for two years previously. Everything was tight, there were no unusual noises, and it was a joy on the highway. In comparison, the Y has a choppier ride, a bit more noise, and a strange booming resonance when I go over bumps at higher speed. It's not enough to be intrusive and much better than my '19 Model 3 was, but not to the level of the EV6.

Compared to the athletic EV6, I think the Model Y looks like a bloated fish. But the handling is the polar opposite with the aggressive steering ratio and smaller wheel. Despite its much larger size, the Model Y is 330 lbs lighter, and you can feel it. My AWD EV6 had the slick front axle disconnect that improved high-speed efficiency, but it came at the expense of a noticeable lag as the motor spun up deliver the power that my right foot was requesting. The Y is locked in at all times, and power comes on like a hammer. The standard Y calibration has a throttle tip-in that's somewhere between normal and Sport Mode on the EV6.

For overall performance, they're extremely close. I've seen drag races where the EV6 was right next to the Model Y up to about 60 MPH, and that's about my experience. The RWD EV6 isn't anything special for performance, but my AWD model felt like a rocketship. I think my '19 Standard Range 3 would walk it above 70 MPH though; the power dropoff at higher speeds was more pronounced. Below 60, it wasn't even close. Up until the Model Y, that EV6 was the fastest thing I've owned.

Interior and Storage

The Model Y really stands out for interior usability. It has a much larger cabin with over 75 cubic feet(2.12 cubic meters) compared to 52(1.47 cubic meters) for the EV6. The difference feels smaller because of how well laid out the EV6 is, but you can't beat the massive trunk well and frunk. Today was a good reminder of why I liked that frunk in the wintertime when I loaded almost half of a shopping cart's worth of cold groceries in the frunk to keep them chilled on the hour-long ride home. It's tough to beat that convenience.

The center console of the Y is closed off to deliver a cockpit-like feel, which isn't as usable as the big open tub underneath the rotary shifter in the EV6. The wireless charger is a better compared to the single unit under the driver's arm on the EV6. I never used it on my EV6 because of wired CarPlay, but that's a language that Tesla does not speak, so I'll be using it from now on. My Y came with the optional white interior, which looks great when it's clean. I'm concerned about keeping it that way, as I'm a bit neurotic about having a decent-looking car.

The EV6 is a lot more usable than the size difference would suggest. The overall passenger room seems about even between the two, but the rear passengers sit lower than the Y. The long cargo area is great. The first photo below is my EV6 swallowing 10 bags of topsoil with a rake and hose on top. My boys were comfortably in the back seat for the ride home, and there was no noticeable squatting with the added weight. I was impressed.

IMG_8498.jpegIMG_7341.jpegIMG_7339.jpegIMG_7195.jpeg

Infotainment/Navigation.

This is the one area that Tesla has the clear advantage. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. The physical controls of the EV6 great, but it didn't take long to get used to Tesla's system again despite the critical reviews. I hate the fact that Tesla does not support CarPlay, but Tesla's in-car system remains the best in the business despite some rearranging since I last left. The second-generation system in my Y with the Ryzen processor is noticeably snappier than the one in my last Tesla. And even the old Intel chip would leave Kia's UVO system in the dust.

I never had a problem with the speed of Kia's system, though, and I always enjoyed how many options we had within the various menus. But my early-build EV6 lacked preconditioning, and it's been made clear that this feature cannot be added within a simple OTA update. The EV6 doesn't have any kind of trip-planning function and doesn't give you a battery estimate of what will remain once you arrive. That's a major oversight for a company that's been making EVs for three years now, but I expect it will eventually be corrected with an OTA update at some point down the line. This shouldn't be a hard problem for Kia to solve.

IMG_7143.jpegIMG_7183.jpeg

To my ear, Tesla has a clear advantage with their sound system. I sat in the EV6 for the first time with high hopes for the 14-speaker Meridian system, but it was a big disappointment. It sounded better than most unbranded systems that I've had in the past, and better than the one in my Standard Range '19 Model 3, but that's as much as I'd give it. I believe this is a calibration issue more than a speaker quality one, so I hope there's some kind of improvement that gets released in the future. In comparison, the Model Y has deep, powerful bass and clear highs that are somewhat neutered when driven by Bluetooth audio. Seems to be better with direct streaming through Spotify, though. I switched to Apple Music when they came out with lossless a couple of years ago, so I hope to get the holiday update to compare the two soon.

Other stuff.

Tesla has long had the best mobile app in the business, and it's gotten even better since I sold my 3. The Kia app is functionally braindead in comparison. It's capable of remotely starting the HVAC, but you only have a limited degree of control. You can set the climate temp at the start, but you can't change it without stopping the system and adjusting the settings within the app. Once you send the command, you have to wait 5-20 seconds for the signal to be sent to the car and the app confirms the change. If you try and change anything before that, you get an "Error: Command in progress." For some silly reason, you can remotely enable the steering wheel heater with climate, but not the seats? It's really bizarre to slide into a warm cabin, grab a toasty wheel, and have a freezing ass.

Kia advertises their 800v system, and for very good reason. The EV6 is a charging hero, and I don't expect the Model Y will be able to beat it. This thing would hold 220 kW from 10-60%, which made it charge the 77 kWh battery to 80% in about 20 minutes. I did this repeatedly on a road trip over the summer. Of course, this isn't possible in the winter with the lack of preconditioning, but later-build EV6es had that fixed. The Electrify America network is every bit the dumpster fire you've heard about, but when they work, it's fast. This won't last forever, though. I was also impressed with how strong the regen is on the EV6. It's noticeably stronger at all speeds to the Model Y despite the Y weighing 300 lbs less. You can do some neat things with 800v because you don't need as much current to do the same amount of work.

IMG_8524.JPEG

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed in.

IMG_8498.jpeg

Last edited:
There are a number of reputable guys (Kyle Connor, Tom Moloughny) who routinely test EVs at 70mph from 100% to 0%. I update my info on their testing about every six months in my book, Electric Vehicles What About Them? Below is one part of the material I insert into my book.

Good info. I'm amazed that Kyle's highly supercharged, tracked and high mileage Model 3 Performance had ~250 miles of range after 100k+ miles on 20 inch wheels. Thats about the same as a new EV6...wow.

None at all.

Part of it is how comfortable I was with my Model 3 for the time that I had it. The numerous little ways that Tesla made my life easier weren’t present on the EV6, and it feels like coming home in the Model Y. I was never happy with the stiff ride, road noise, or lack of space with the Model 3, and that led me to trade it back in 2021. The Model Y is much better in all of those areas. I’m particularly impressed with how much better the seats got over the years, and the matrix headlights are the best I’ve ever used. I got lucky with those.

The EV6 has far more advantages than I would have guessed when I first started looking at them, but the Model Y is a much better car for my use. I’ll miss a bit of the refinement, but the rest of the experience makes it all worthwhile.

I went with the MYLR, the overriding points were the charging network (repeat 3 times) and the EV6 cockpit felt really really dark. You indicate they are same performance, but the EV6 didn't feel as peppy to me (but that's just an objective measurement, it's available somewhere, e.g. the 0-60 time). What I wonder if you miss, however, are
* overhead view - boy was that impressive, and appeared extremely super-useful
* HUD - would so love to have that
* Didn't the EV6 have a self-parking feature? DIdn't it actually work?

Thanks again for sharing,

-TPC

I went with the MYLR, the overriding points were the charging network (repeat 3 times) and the EV6 cockpit felt really really dark. You indicate they are same performance, but the EV6 didn't feel as peppy to me (but that's just an objective measurement, it's available somewhere, e.g. the 0-60 time). What I wonder if you miss, however, are
* overhead view - boy was that impressive, and appeared extremely super-useful
* HUD - would so love to have that
* Didn't the EV6 have a self-parking feature? DIdn't it actually work?

Thanks again for sharing,

-TPC

The Model Y is clearly a more powerful car, but I thought they were almost identical at lower speeds. Power only matters to the extent that you can put it to the ground, and it's a calculation from torque and RPM. High power at a slow speed requires a tremendous amount of torque, which is why a 1990's minivan can spin the front tires at lower speeds on its 20-minute journey to 60 MPH. I thought my AWD EV6 had more than enough power at all legal-ish speeds, but the Model Y would run away from it above 50 MPH. But below that, it's really close.

One of the guys on the EV6 forum has been making a lot of YouTube videos with his, and he did one of a drag race with a Model Y. You can see the Y coming back fast at the end, but they were nearly identical at lower speeds.

Cars.com found their 0-60 times to be "nearly identical."

The features you listed were the ones I missed out on! I was originally lined up for a GT-Line, but there was some confusion at the dealership. I got the call when a similar Red AWD was rolling off the truck, and I decided to save $5K and take that over the GT-L. It lacked the tech package, so I didn't even get the fancy camera setup.

The EV6 has an annoying lag off the line if you aren't in sport mode. If you are in normal and floor it against a Model Y, the Y will win. If you are in Sport Mode, you will be the same (or even a little ahead (by a nose) to 60 and then the Y will fly by you after. The Tesla powertrain is just better. It has better throttle response at all speeds and acceleration is smoother and more predictable.

Overall, its not like these are cars worlds apart. They are very very competitive to each other and most owners probably wouldn't regret buying either.

Exactly this. Lots of other EVs are lacking, but the E-GMP cars are fantastic. Toyota would do well to toss their bZ4x into the bin and take lessons from the Hyundai/Kia group.
I think that Hyundai/Kia/Genesis are the only true competitive threat to Tesla. They make good cars. They are loaded with technology (far more than Tesla). They have pretty good efficiency. They have a bunch of products in the pipeline (EV6, Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6, Ioniq 7, EV9, GV70, G80). And they seem to be able to manufacture at volume, in the US. All the rest are pretty much noise at the tail of the volume curve.

I think that Hyundai/Kia/Genesis are the only true competitive threat to Tesla. They make good cars. They are loaded with technology (far more than Tesla). They have pretty good efficiency. They have a bunch of products in the pipeline (EV6, Ioniq 5, Ioniq 6, Ioniq 7, EV9, GV70, G80). And they seem to be able to manufacture at volume, in the US. All the rest are pretty much noise at the tail of the volume curve.
Exciting! As soon as they can be reliably charged on trips I’ll consider them, love the consumer tech but they need more cargo space too.

Reactions: exxxviii

I wouldn't say they have more tech than Tesla. They have different features that are nice to haves such as HUD, bird's eye, cooled seats and extremely fast charging but Tesla also has technology that is better (higher efficiency, infotainment, powertrain, charging network). Just pick which set of features/tech is better for you.

I wouldn't say they have more tech than Tesla. They have different features that are nice to haves such as HUD, bird's eye, cooled seats and extremely fast charging but Tesla also has technology that is better (higher efficiency, infotainment, powertrain, charging network). Just pick which set of features/tech is better for you.
I was referring to the consumer-facing technologies missing from Tesla that are tablestakes on nearly every other similar premium car: HUD, blind spot, rear cross traffic, SiriusXM, 3D surronund view, CarPlay/Andriod Auto, lane centering on parity with others, rear climate control, cooled seats, etc. Yes, Tesla has some technical advantages around just being an EV, and that is how it overcomes its consumer-facing technology feature shortcomings.

Reactions: Dennisis
Actually, it should read "faster charging at times with working chargers that can support the kw requested by the car"

I was referring to the consumer-facing technologies missing from Tesla that are tablestakes on nearly every other similar premium car: HUD, blind spot, rear cross traffic, SiriusXM, 3D surronund view, CarPlay/Andriod Auto, lane centering on parity with others, rear climate control, cooled seats, etc. Yes, Tesla has some technical advantages around just being an EV, and that is how it overcomes its consumer-facing technology feature shortcomings.

My Tesla autopilot blows away my Kia lane centering. My Kia also has to go to dealer for the simplest updates...still no preconditioning on most of the earlier EV6s. Tesla was able to improve my charging speed and gave me more horsepower via OTA even in 2019. Why do I even have a stupid stupid start button on the EV6...completely worthless. Yes Tesla has bad blind spot implementation (rather just have a light on the mirrors like most other mfgs) and quirks but I'd rather have Tesla's suite of consumer facing features vs. Kia's (I find Tesla's infotainment far superior to Carplay but thats opinion). Again, I think its whatever suite of features you'd rather have. BTW, I really love TeslaWaze on the browser...much easier to find pesky cops hiding 😁

Reactions: 804son and yellowr6
My Tesla autopilot blows away my Kia lane centering. My Kia also has to go to dealer for the simplest updates...still no preconditioning on most of the earlier EV6s. Tesla was able to improve my charging speed and gave me more horsepower via OTA even in 2019. Why do I even have a stupid stupid start button on the EV6...completely worthless. Yes Tesla has bad blind spot implementation (rather just have a light on the mirrors like most other mfgs) and quirks but I'd rather have Tesla's suite of consumer facing features vs. Kia's (I find Tesla's infotainment far superior to Carplay but thats opinion). Again, I think its whatever suite of features you'd rather have. BTW, I really love TeslaWaze on the browser...much easier to find pesky cops hiding 😁
Re lane centering... it does and it doesn't. Tesla is vastly superior at steering into the center of the lane for twisty, slower, suburban roads, etc. But on fast highways, the two are pretty close. But Tesla has a major PITA that lags behind even HDA 1 and way behind HDA 2 - lane change. Tesla's manual lane change SUCKS compared to HDA 1 (and every other car I know). And you have to spend $6K to get the equivalent lane change that just comes with HDA 2. So, I vote those two a wash. Honestly, I would choose HDA 2 any day over Tesla's Basic Autopilot - it is just better on highway drives. And there is no universe where I would spend the $6K to get EAP and a lane centering that meets the current market minimums.

Tesla is technically very advanced, as an EV. As a premium car in general, not so much. As in, its a throwback to like 2015.

Yes, start/stop buttons and boost buttons are really stupid on an EV. Know what else is really stupid on a car in 2023? Not having rear cross traffic or functional blind spot alerts, or any other of the major feature gaps.

As I said above, I think H/K/G is the only true competitive threat to Tesla because they have good EVs that are fully loaded with tech. When H/K/G catches up on the EV stuff (which will take them a while), then Tesla will have a strong challenger. In order to stay relevant, Tesla will have to add all the missing safety and convenience stuff, otherwise everyone, not just H/K/G, will gnaw away at the edges.

The new Electrified GV70 is a sweet ride and way better looking inside and out compared to any Tesla. And it is loaded with every imagined feature. It is spendy, but I would buy one now except they stuck with their dinky 77 kWh battery, so it has no range. (And I don't like any of their exterior colors.)

Same situation with an Ioniq 5 pre-order in Canada. No end in sight for a car to be available, and the price cut put the MY in the conversation. Taking delivery within 2.5 weeks of order.
I heard this on a podcast or YT video where they were talking about super bowl commercials. Every time an EV add would appear, is when there was a spike of Google searches for that car manufacture and then not long after a spike of Tesla searches. They claimed that the customer would go to their Ad's web site only to learn they couldn't order the car and then hit up Tesla to place an order.

Reactions: JoeS and nate704
I heard this on a podcast or YT video where they were talking about super bowl commercials. Every time an EV add would appear, is when there was a spike of Google searches for that car manufacture and then not long after a spike of Tesla searches. They claimed that the customer would go to their Ad's web site only to learn they couldn't order the car and then hit up Tesla to place an order.
As I said before, maybe earlier in this same thread, actual availability of EVs within a relatively short timeline is a Tesla advantage. Actually, right now, it is a HUGE Tesla advantage. For KIA/Hyundai in this area I heard news reports late last year of there being (literally) waiting lists just to get on the waiting list to order a vehicle...and then a long wait to actually get the vehicle after that.

Meanwhile, I can order a Model Y today and get it April-June. Or even quicker, in this area I can buy a new Model Y from inventory and get it pretty much right away. Actually, even for the Model 3 LR, currently not available to order, I can still buy one from Tesla inventory, with vehicles available in various combinations of colours and other options, and get it right away. Tesla has learned to make EVs in volume and quite profitably in terms of the individual vehicle margin. No other manufacturer can match them at that right now - not even close.

Reactions: Darmie
As I said above, I think H/K/G is the only true competitive threat to Tesla because they have good EVs that are fully loaded with tech. When H/K/G catches up on the EV stuff (which will take them a while), then Tesla will have a strong challenger. In order to stay relevant, Tesla will have to add all the missing safety and convenience stuff, otherwise everyone, not just H/K/G, will gnaw away at the edges.

The new Electrified GV70 is a sweet ride and way better looking inside and out compared to any Tesla. And it is loaded with every imagined feature. It is spendy, but I would buy one now except they stuck with their dinky 77 kWh battery, so it has no range. (And I don't like any of their exterior colors.)

As I said before, maybe earlier in this same thread, actual availability of EVs within a relatively short timeline is a Tesla advantage. Actually, right now, it is a HUGE Tesla advantage. For KIA/Hyundai in this area I heard news reports late last year of there being (literally) waiting lists just to get on the waiting list to order a vehicle...and then a long wait to actually get the vehicle after that.

Meanwhile, I can order a Model Y today and get it April-June. Or even quicker, in this area I can buy a new Model Y from inventory and get it pretty much right away. Actually, even for the Model 3 LR, currently not available to order, I can still buy one from Tesla inventory, with vehicles available in various combinations of colours and other options, and get it right away. Tesla has learned to make EVs in volume and quite profitably in terms of the individual vehicle margin. No other manufacturer can match them at that right now - not even close.

I would add, however, that I just read that KIA/Hyundai are apparently allocating a lot of their production, to the U.S., so the situation there perhaps is better, maybe quite a bit better, than in Canada and in Europe. In Canada I am hearing of people being informed of estimated total wait times, from first approaching the dealership with an intent to order, as long as 2.5 to 3 years for the KIA EV6. That may be an outside estimate, however, with realistic wait times being more like 1.5 to 2 years, though that is still a long time.

To me. if u care for HUD, a bit faster charge time if u can’t find a fast working open charger, better built, better suspension but questionable depending on user, vent seats, 360 cam, slightly better pricing depend on ur trim (might not fully qualify for the new tax credit), longer wait time….. go buy a H/K/G.

if u want the best charging infrastructure, better tech, better battery management, better performance/ drive train, better APP, more cargo room With a frunk, shorter wait time and can deal with all their QC issues (only small percentage buyers having these issues), a Y/3 is my choice. Of yea, don’t expect any customers service to please u if u have any issues. But all my service experience has been great. So depend on location.

Reactions: cusetownusa