Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV6 to a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon, everyone.

I ended up trading Ruby the EV6 for a Model Y last night. My 5 months with the EV6 was fantastic, and the mechanical bits were every bit as awesome as I hoped going in. Ultimately, it was the lousy CCS charging experience combined with software that seemed like an afterthought that drove me to making the switch. For anyone interested, here are a few thoughts I have between the two.

IMG_8333.jpegIMG_7391.jpegIMG_8163.jpeg

Driving

The driving experience between the two is very different. The aggressive looks of the EV6 belie its fantastic road manners and refinement. I think my EV6 was the quietest and best-riding car I've ever had, and was MUCH better than the Model 3 that I had for two years previously. Everything was tight, there were no unusual noises, and it was a joy on the highway. In comparison, the Y has a choppier ride, a bit more noise, and a strange booming resonance when I go over bumps at higher speed. It's not enough to be intrusive and much better than my '19 Model 3 was, but not to the level of the EV6.

Compared to the athletic EV6, I think the Model Y looks like a bloated fish. But the handling is the polar opposite with the aggressive steering ratio and smaller wheel. Despite its much larger size, the Model Y is 330 lbs lighter, and you can feel it. My AWD EV6 had the slick front axle disconnect that improved high-speed efficiency, but it came at the expense of a noticeable lag as the motor spun up deliver the power that my right foot was requesting. The Y is locked in at all times, and power comes on like a hammer. The standard Y calibration has a throttle tip-in that's somewhere between normal and Sport Mode on the EV6.

For overall performance, they're extremely close. I've seen drag races where the EV6 was right next to the Model Y up to about 60 MPH, and that's about my experience. The RWD EV6 isn't anything special for performance, but my AWD model felt like a rocketship. I think my '19 Standard Range 3 would walk it above 70 MPH though; the power dropoff at higher speeds was more pronounced. Below 60, it wasn't even close. Up until the Model Y, that EV6 was the fastest thing I've owned.

Interior and Storage

The Model Y really stands out for interior usability. It has a much larger cabin with over 75 cubic feet(2.12 cubic meters) compared to 52(1.47 cubic meters) for the EV6. The difference feels smaller because of how well laid out the EV6 is, but you can't beat the massive trunk well and frunk. Today was a good reminder of why I liked that frunk in the wintertime when I loaded almost half of a shopping cart's worth of cold groceries in the frunk to keep them chilled on the hour-long ride home. It's tough to beat that convenience.

The center console of the Y is closed off to deliver a cockpit-like feel, which isn't as usable as the big open tub underneath the rotary shifter in the EV6. The wireless charger is a better compared to the single unit under the driver's arm on the EV6. I never used it on my EV6 because of wired CarPlay, but that's a language that Tesla does not speak, so I'll be using it from now on. My Y came with the optional white interior, which looks great when it's clean. I'm concerned about keeping it that way, as I'm a bit neurotic about having a decent-looking car.

The EV6 is a lot more usable than the size difference would suggest. The overall passenger room seems about even between the two, but the rear passengers sit lower than the Y. The long cargo area is great. The first photo below is my EV6 swallowing 10 bags of topsoil with a rake and hose on top. My boys were comfortably in the back seat for the ride home, and there was no noticeable squatting with the added weight. I was impressed.

IMG_8498.jpegIMG_7341.jpegIMG_7339.jpegIMG_7195.jpeg

Infotainment/Navigation.

This is the one area that Tesla has the clear advantage. This shouldn't be news to anyone here. The physical controls of the EV6 great, but it didn't take long to get used to Tesla's system again despite the critical reviews. I hate the fact that Tesla does not support CarPlay, but Tesla's in-car system remains the best in the business despite some rearranging since I last left. The second-generation system in my Y with the Ryzen processor is noticeably snappier than the one in my last Tesla. And even the old Intel chip would leave Kia's UVO system in the dust.

I never had a problem with the speed of Kia's system, though, and I always enjoyed how many options we had within the various menus. But my early-build EV6 lacked preconditioning, and it's been made clear that this feature cannot be added within a simple OTA update. The EV6 doesn't have any kind of trip-planning function and doesn't give you a battery estimate of what will remain once you arrive. That's a major oversight for a company that's been making EVs for three years now, but I expect it will eventually be corrected with an OTA update at some point down the line. This shouldn't be a hard problem for Kia to solve.

IMG_7143.jpegIMG_7183.jpeg

To my ear, Tesla has a clear advantage with their sound system. I sat in the EV6 for the first time with high hopes for the 14-speaker Meridian system, but it was a big disappointment. It sounded better than most unbranded systems that I've had in the past, and better than the one in my Standard Range '19 Model 3, but that's as much as I'd give it. I believe this is a calibration issue more than a speaker quality one, so I hope there's some kind of improvement that gets released in the future. In comparison, the Model Y has deep, powerful bass and clear highs that are somewhat neutered when driven by Bluetooth audio. Seems to be better with direct streaming through Spotify, though. I switched to Apple Music when they came out with lossless a couple of years ago, so I hope to get the holiday update to compare the two soon.

Other stuff.

Tesla has long had the best mobile app in the business, and it's gotten even better since I sold my 3. The Kia app is functionally braindead in comparison. It's capable of remotely starting the HVAC, but you only have a limited degree of control. You can set the climate temp at the start, but you can't change it without stopping the system and adjusting the settings within the app. Once you send the command, you have to wait 5-20 seconds for the signal to be sent to the car and the app confirms the change. If you try and change anything before that, you get an "Error: Command in progress." For some silly reason, you can remotely enable the steering wheel heater with climate, but not the seats? It's really bizarre to slide into a warm cabin, grab a toasty wheel, and have a freezing ass.

Kia advertises their 800v system, and for very good reason. The EV6 is a charging hero, and I don't expect the Model Y will be able to beat it. This thing would hold 220 kW from 10-60%, which made it charge the 77 kWh battery to 80% in about 20 minutes. I did this repeatedly on a road trip over the summer. Of course, this isn't possible in the winter with the lack of preconditioning, but later-build EV6es had that fixed. The Electrify America network is every bit the dumpster fire you've heard about, but when they work, it's fast. This won't last forever, though. I was also impressed with how strong the regen is on the EV6. It's noticeably stronger at all speeds to the Model Y despite the Y weighing 300 lbs less. You can do some neat things with 800v because you don't need as much current to do the same amount of work.

IMG_8524.JPEG

To conclude, my time spent with the EV6 was mostly filled with great thoughts. I really got to love the refinement and outstanding fast-charging capability. My previous experience was with a '19 Tesla Model 3 with a PTC heater that wasn't capable of achieving its 240-mile rated range in sunny weather rolling down a hill. The EV6 never disappointed me for range, and I was impressed with how well it manages energy. I certainly wouldn't rule out another Kia EV in the future, and Tesla needs to step up their game if they expect to retain their longstanding primacy in the EV market. An EV6 with a Tesla-like software experience would have the Model Y pretty well dialed in.

IMG_8498.jpeg

Last edited:
Having just brought home a '23 Genesis GV60 Performance to go along with my '22 Tesla Model 3 Performance, I'll say that the thing that ALMOST kept us from buying the GV60 is the nightmarish EA DC fast-charging stories I've read on multiple EV forums.

I don't expect us to do too many road trips in general, but we (4 people) will be driving from LaQuinta, CA to Phoenix for New Year's Eve. While I'd rather take the GV60 for its comfort and quiet, I'm worried about the havoc the EA network could inflict on the trip.

What would anyone suggest - should we take the Tesla or the Genesis?

You mentioned you didnt plan on road tripping in that car (the genesis) previously. I think that holiday travel can be stressful enough, that one should try to remove possible causes of stress wherever they can. This is the same advice I give to people asking about road tripping in a tesla, but I suggest taking the car you are more sure of, unless everyone on the trip is "excited for the adventure" of the other car.

Only take the GV60 if everyone going is excited to try something different, and willing to tolerate any possible snafu's. As I said, its the same advice I give to people if they are considering taking their brand new Tesla on a road trip vs their ICE car, on some thanksgiving trip with family, kids, food, etc in the car and the stress all that entails.

(btw, I think that GV60 looks super slick, nice job there!)

Reactions: DrGriz and TomB985
Having just brought home a '23 Genesis GV60 Performance to go along with my '22 Tesla Model 3 Performance, I'll say that the thing that ALMOST kept us from buying the GV60 is the nightmarish EA DC fast-charging stories I've read on multiple EV forums.

I don't expect us to do too many road trips in general, but we (4 people) will be driving from LaQuinta, CA to Phoenix for New Year's Eve. While I'd rather take the GV60 for its comfort and quiet, I'm worried about the havoc the EA network could inflict on the trip.

Congrats!! The GV60 is a fantastic car. I've heard they're a lot of fun to drive as well.

I'd take the Tesla just for the charging experience, but it's nowhere near as comfortable of a ride as you'll get in the GV60. The biggest thing I'll miss about the EV6 is the ride quality and lack of road noise. I haven't driven an M3P, but my '19 SR+ rode like a grain truck compared to my EV6, and my Y is somewhere in between.

There's quite a difference between 4 people in a M3P and in a GV60. Maybe check out ABRP and Plug share to find out if the EA stations enroute are active and running. That might ease some of your concerns. If there are any issues with the EA chargers enroute, then take the Tesla for sure. Just my .02c

On the GV60 vs M3P for your road trip, keep in mind that Holiday Travel in a Tesla in areas with lots of Tesla's tends to lead to waiting in line at Superchargers... not sure if there are enough people road tripping CCS cars to make that an issue with CCS fast charging stations.

Keith

Reactions: 804son
It's weird... how little value ppl place in the charging network. The beauty of ICE is that one can basically not worry about the next station because there are stations literally on every corner. But when it comes to EV they don't act like they give two cents. Now I'm not talking about Tesla ppl but more casuals and non-Teslanians. I read of ppl mentioning the SUC advantage like in passing like just another line item, it's so weird.
Depends on your EV usage. If it’s just a local commuter, charging network is lower value because you charge at home or work.

If it’s an occasional road tripper, the story is different and Tesla has an advantage but for how long?

Maybe because I'm in SoCal, the different charging networks are okay to me so I don't worry as much.

Easy choice. And u know it.

There’s only one brand I trust doing any road trip. It’s not even close.

I always tell my buddies when shopping for a new EV. If u planning to do any road trips. A 30k EV is the same as a 80k Ev if u can’t trust the charging infrastructure! It’s just a brick without juice.

Just did a norCal trip to SoCal. Drove 1500 mike RT. Absolutely no issues. Plug and play. U don’t even think about it. 15-20 min of charging and move on. No range anxiety. And u can’t beat that cargo space from the Y. Had 4 ppl in the car. 😃

Last edited:
Only take the GV60 if everyone going is excited to try something different, and willing to tolerate any possible snafu's...

(btw, I think that GV60 looks super slick, nice job there!)
Hey, thanks, and I'm sure that's good advice.

Congrats!! The GV60 is a fantastic car. I've heard they're a lot of fun to drive as well.

I'd take the Tesla just for the charging experience, but it's nowhere near as comfortable of a ride as you'll get in the GV60. The biggest thing I'll miss about the EV6 is the ride quality and lack of road noise. I haven't driven an M3P, but my '19 SR+ rode like a grain truck compared to my EV6, and my Y is somewhere in between.
Thanks as well.
The overall comfort of the GV60 is the inspiration for the question, but PlugShare says "DON'T DO IT", so I don't think we will.

Much as I hate to admit it, I think an ICEV rental may be the best bet for this situation....

Reactions: TomB985
On the GV60 vs M3P for your road trip, keep in mind that Holiday Travel in a Tesla in areas with lots of Tesla's tends to lead to waiting in line at Superchargers... not sure if there are enough people road tripping CCS cars to make that an issue with CCS fast charging stations.

Keith

Not a chance of me being willing to deal with this (Photo of the EA location in Quartzite, AZ from 11/26/2022) :oops::oops::oops::

1038987.jpg

Not a chance of me being willing to deal with this (Photo of the EA location in Quartzite, AZ from 11/26/2022) :oops::oops::oops::

1038987.jpg
Yeah, I road tripped down the 5 from Canada thru central California a few times last summer. The first trip, CCS was fine. But the other times, there were so many busted CCS chargers, or chargers that were throttling to 30kW, that I had to give up on using CCS, and just used Superchargers. So glad I didn't have to solely rely on CCS. Some of the locations only had a single functioning CCS charger.

Great comparison - thx for putting it together. One point I would like to drill down on is the refinement / comfort of your new Tesla compared to your old. I am driving a 2018 M3 LR which I love, and which I have not had any trouble with (and find the seats very comfortable). But it has been 4 years, just out of warranty and I find it pretty noisy on the highway. I have been very attracted to the extra space in the Y but I would be giving up EAP, lifetime premium service etc. (not counting the extra $$ to get into a Y which has seen its price jump incredibly). Would welcome hearing some more on how much more comfortable / quieter your Y is compared to your previous Tesla.
I have also been considering some competitors, but at least here in Canada, I can't imagine trying to do any roadtrip (either within Canada or down to NY, Pa, etc) without the benefit of the SC network (even though I have been finding some of the locations getting pretty crowded lately especially on the weekends)
thx again

Great comparison - thx for putting it together. One point I would like to drill down on is the refinement / comfort of your new Tesla compared to your old. I am driving a 2018 M3 LR which I love, and which I have not had any trouble with (and find the seats very comfortable). But it has been 4 years, just out of warranty and I find it pretty noisy on the highway. I have been very attracted to the extra space in the Y but I would be giving up EAP, lifetime premium service etc. (not counting the extra $$ to get into a Y which has seen its price jump incredibly). Would welcome hearing some more on how much more comfortable / quieter your Y is compared to your previous Tesla.
I have also been considering some competitors, but at least here in Canada, I can't imagine trying to do any roadtrip (either within Canada or down to NY, Pa, etc) without the benefit of the SC network (even though I have been finding some of the locations getting pretty crowded lately especially on the weekends)
thx again

I've noticed a few things, but it's hard to quantify them.

The first thing was that the seats were much softer. It's almost like the seat contour is identical, but there's another layer of soft foam on top of the existing seat design, which makes them much more comfortable. The seat heater seems a bit more powerful, and the heater is more willing to bake me out of the car in a cold Minnesota winter. The PTC heater in my Model 3 seemed to take longer to warm the cabin, which is surprising because you would expect the heat pump not to do as well in the cold. That hasn't been my experience.

Speaking of that heat pump, that's the only NVH thing that I've seen get worse. The PTC heater and A/C system on my Model 3 were virtually silent. The heat pump is not that way. The Model Y seems to think it's a 747 on a takeoff roll when preheating the cabin in a cold garage. You can definitely tell that the heat pump is working. But in return for the added noise and vibration, it seems to lose less range in the cold weather than my 3 did. The difference is noticeable, but tough to quantify.

Somewhere at the end of 2021, Tesla made improvements to the sound insulation of the Models 3 and Y. I had a 2020 Model Y as a weekend test drive two years ago, and I didn't think it was much quieter than my Model 3. This was around the time that laminated side glass was introduced, and the Model Y that I drove did not have it. In comparison, mine is noticeably quieter, but you can still hear some road and wind noise. The ride is also noticeably smoother, but I don't recall if that's an improvement over the 2020 Y that I test-drove. My Y was made in 8/2022 in Fremont, so I don't think it has the new comfort suspension.

My favorite feature is the heated steering wheel that was added sometime in early 2021. This is my second car with the heated wheel, and it's noticeably better than the one on my EV6. I have serious neuropathy and circulation issues in my hands, so this is a big deal for me. My hands used to freeze in the winter, and I was constantly trying to fight with the vent controls to warm up my hands in my 3. The wheel heater is effective enough that I've never even messed with the vent controls; the wheel is more than enough to warm my cold hands up.

There have been some interior changes as well. The center console now has a retracting door instead of one that pivots, and the piano black trim seems to have finally been put out of its misery. There's an integrated phone charger where the funky USB cords used to terminate, and they seem to work pretty well. I really enjoy the power tailgate instead of having to manually open and close a stiff trunk lid, and the frunk is significantly larger.

I never had problems with the headlamps in my Model 3, but my Y has the new Matrix lights that are easily the best headlights that I've ever had. I believe most non-Performance Ys have the standard reflector headlights, so this may be an excuse to go for the Performance model if better headlights are on your wish list. Exterior appearance is very subjective, but this is a big negative in my opinion. I thought my Model 3 looked low and sleek. My Model Y looks like a bloated fish. 🐟 I even looked for a nautical name; my sons and I dubbed her "Nessie" after the Loch Ness Monster. She's far from sexy, but I'm beyond impressed overall.

1671665732173.jpeg1671665742486.jpeg1671665713113.jpeg1671665776744.jpeg

Exterior appearance is very subjective, but this is a big negative in my opinion. I thought my Model 3 looked low and sleek. My Model Y looks like a bloated fish. 🐟 I even looked for a nautical name; my sons and I dubbed her "Nessie" after the Loch Ness Monster. She's far from sexy, but I'm beyond impressed overall.
Haha, I had the opposite opinion on the Model 3's looks. Before I even started looking at possibly owning a Tesla, I found the Model 3's proportions to be a bit off, especially from the front. I thought the windshield was too tall compared to the front section and was not really a fan of the appearance. Blowing up a Model 3 into a Model Y fixed the proportion issue for me.

Anyway, it's all personally preference. I look at my MYP out of my office window every day, and I kind of think it looks like an angry Beetle.

BTW, before I started seeing some EV6's in person, I thought it looked pretty sleek in pictures and videos. But once I started seeing them in person, the sleekness kind of went away for me. I think it's mainly the view from the rear, where I find it to look like a jar...

Haha, I had the opposite opinion on the Model 3's looks. Before I even started looking at possibly owning a Tesla, I found the Model 3's proportions to be a bit off, especially from the front. I thought the windshield was too tall compared to the front section and was not really a fan of the appearance. Blowing up a Model 3 into a Model Y fixed the proportion issue for me.

Anyway, it's all personally preference. I look at my MYP out of my office window every day, and I kind of think it looks like an angry Beetle.

BTW, before I started seeing some EV6's in person, I thought it looked pretty sleek in pictures and videos. But once I started seeing them in person, the sleekness kind of went away for me. I think it's mainly the view from the rear, where I find it to look like a jar...

I just saw that you’re a local! I’m a bit north of you in Isanti.

I really liked the way the EV6 looked, but aggressive styling can be polarizing. I‘ve never made a vehicle decision based on appearance, which might explain the minivans. I don’t care about the Model Y’s awkward appearance; I’d buy it again without question. I’ll miss having a looker, though.

E248B862-D9F0-439E-B082-1C8819E4F185.jpeg

How many miles were on the EV6? That's a significant loss on the trade but I suppose you made up some of that with the savings on the Y.
Not really in todays car market. Prices are falling fast, assisted by 7.5k of daily repos nationwide. The FOMO and free money that created a false over-demand is now going in the opposite direction. Interest rates climbing and a weak economy added in to boot.

Really nice observations. When we were shopping EV's, we drove the GV60, EV6 and Ioniq 5.
All three are small inside. The Y is far more practical, and spacious feeling. Though, if you are single or dinks, maybe not a concern.

I would consider them in between the M3 and MY in space and practicality.

We had the opposite opinion on quality. The interiors of the Hyundai and Kia felt cheaper than the Tesla. The vinyl covered dash on the Kia w/ "action stripes" really knocked it down for me, for example.
The designs were very nice, inside and out. But everything felt very plasticy and creaky. I don't want to sound harsh, because they are great vehicles and would not be sad owning one. However, we do feel the Y interior is a big upgrade in design and feel. But we do appreciate the minimalist aesthetic and yes, there are scratchy plastics but it's much less objectionable in the Y. ymmv.
GV60 interior is definitely very nice. I can see people getting that vehicle for this reason alone. But again, this does not feel as good as a German car interior of comparable price and nothing like the Genesis G90- which is AMAZING inside and out (but that is quite a bit more $).

We initially really liked the driving feel - like the ID4- it coasted like an ICE car. But now I see that as a minus.
Tesla initially is harder to drive one-pedal, but once used to it, it's fantastic and don't want to go back.

The Hyundai/Kias we tested did not have "presenting" door handles.
We were told all models were designed to have them, but due to chip shortages at introduction, only the top models got these.
We had to use both hands or using one hand it was very awkward.
Tesla's are quick and easy to use one handed. Not sure why but that also was a big annoyance.

Now having a Tesla, another massive advantage we never thought about is the supercharging stations.
I don't think people put enough stock into the value of it, even for occasional use.
It's just easy, fast and for first time ev owners, massively better.

Finally, we couldn't handle the dealerships. It's like stepping back into the 90's and the annoying sales tactics and multiple hoops.
They also were marking up above msrp and we just don't do that. We just won't ever buy a car that way again.
Of course, that experience is dependent on the dealership.

Really nice observations. When we were shopping EV's, we drove the GV60, EV6 and Ioniq 5.
All three are small inside. The Y is far more practical, and spacious feeling. Though, if you are single or dinks, maybe not a concern.

I would consider them in between the M3 and MY in space and practicality.
This is interesting. Given I have had limited exposure to it but the Ioniq5 felt more spacious than our Y because it has the front flat floor space and the center console doesn't extend all the way to the dash. Even the backseat of the Ioniq5 seemed roomier than the Y (I had my as tall as me kid test that because that's where he sits).

The Mach-E also seemed roomier than the Y.

Reactions: exxxviii
We had the opposite opinion on quality. The interiors of the Hyundai and Kia felt cheaper than the Tesla. The vinyl covered dash on the Kia w/ "action stripes" really knocked it down for me, for example.
The designs were very nice, inside and out. But everything felt very plasticy and creaky. I don't want to sound harsh, because they are great vehicles and would not be sad owning one. However, we do feel the Y interior is a big upgrade in design and feel. But we do appreciate the minimalist aesthetic and yes, there are scratchy plastics but it's much less objectionable in the Y. ymmv.
GV60 interior is definitely very nice. I can see people getting that vehicle for this reason alone. But again, this does not feel as good as a German car interior of comparable price and nothing like the Genesis G90- which is AMAZING inside and out (but that is quite a bit more $).

We initially really liked the driving feel - like the ID4- it coasted like an ICE car. But now I see that as a minus.
Tesla initially is harder to drive one-pedal, but once used to it, it's fantastic and don't want to go back.

The Hyundai/Kias we tested did not have "presenting" door handles.
We were told all models were designed to have them, but due to chip shortages at introduction, only the top models got these.
We had to use both hands or using one hand it was very awkward.
Tesla's are quick and easy to use one handed. Not sure why but that also was a big annoyance.

Now having a Tesla, another massive advantage we never thought about is the supercharging stations.
I don't think people put enough stock into the value of it, even for occasional use.
It's just easy, fast and for first time ev owners, massively better.

Finally, we couldn't handle the dealerships. It's like stepping back into the 90's and the annoying sales tactics and multiple hoops.
They also were marking up above msrp and we just don't do that. We just won't ever buy a car that way again.
Of course, that experience is dependent on the dealership.

Interesting post, thanks! I’d agree with most of it.

When I mentioned build quality and fit/finish, I was referring to tactile feel of the buttons, smoothness of the ride, and overall lack of NVH. Kia/Hyundai uses more hard plastics than Tesla, but I thought the parts that the driver touched felt great. Tesla has improved much of that since coming from my 3 as well. I always thought the piano black trim looked and felt cheap, but the new interior is much better.

You mentioned coasting, which means you didn’t get the chance to use the regen paddles. It sounds like the cars you test drove had regen turned down, which isn’t where most of us kept the setting. Mine lived on Level 3, and that setting was remembered until I changed it. Level 3 regen is much stronger than I can get with my Model Y at all speeds. It’s not even close.

My Wind didn’t have the presenting door handles, and that would have been enough to push me for the GT-Line if I had known better. I always thought the door handles were awkward, and never got used to them like I did my Model 3. Part of that was how you have to push in on the handle to trigger the unlock switch, and it took a hard press. I never understood why the car was smart enough to unfold the mirrors when I got to the door, but not smart enough to unlock the doors.

And I agree about most dealerships, but not all. I originally set out to purchase an Ioniq5 because of the increased interior volume. But the first dealer i called wanted $3k over MSRP, which I refused to consider. So I called a Kia dealer in a large, reputable, “One-price” dealer network and was told that they would sell me one at MSRP with no tricks or gimmicks. They treated me great, and earned my repeat business if I’m ever looking for another Kia. The dealer who wanted over MSRP will likely never see me again.

And going from a Tesla to a different brand and back again, I couldn’t agree more about the Supercharger network. I expected them to get somewhat close to Tesla’s level of convenience, but it’s not even close. Eventually…

This is interesting. Given I have had limited exposure to it but the Ioniq5 felt more spacious than our Y because it has the front flat floor space and the center console doesn't extend all the way to the dash. Even the backseat of the Ioniq5 seemed roomier than the Y (I had my as tall as me kid test that because that's where he sits).

The Mach-E also seemed roomier than the Y.
generally the passenger space felt comparable.You sit higher in the Y (or that's the impression)
the Ioniq flat floor seems ok but I couldn't figure out what it would be useful for. Also seemed dangerous in having stuff roll into the pedal area. USB plugs on dash not the center console so cords would dangle across... maybe women would find it useful for their purse but I don't think they like putting purses on the floor.
Ioniq felt more airy than the EV6 but generally we felt much more comfortable in the Y.
Cargo space is much larger in the Y. At the time, we checked out a three-row Y and that option (though only for small kids) would never be possible in a Ioniq. The frunk, trunk and tub in the Y add up to a lot of usable storage.

Also, I work on cars and I was less impressed with the mechanicals in the Hyundai/Kia. Tesla is much more advanced in this regard.
This isn't a reliability issue since the Korean cars seem very reliable, but it just seems cobbled together. ID4 was the same.
But, coming from ICE, I could see them being easier to work on since there are a lot of carryover parts under the hood.

*We initially considered the MachE but I read an inordiante amount of problems and bricked vehicles on lemon law. Also, it's the only ev ConsumerReports doesn't recommend. Mach E owners say it's because of some electronic issue that's fixed now but... in any case a multitude of factors took it out of consideration for us.

Last edited:
Interesting post, thanks! I’d agree with most of it.

When I mentioned build quality and fit/finish, I was referring to tactile feel of the buttons, smoothness of the ride, and overall lack of NVH. Kia/Hyundai uses more hard plastics than Tesla, but I thought the parts that the driver touched felt great. Tesla has improved much of that since coming from my 3 as well. I always thought the piano black trim looked and felt cheap, but the new interior is much better.

You mentioned coasting, which means you didn’t get the chance to use the regen paddles. It sounds like the cars you test drove had regen turned down, which isn’t where most of us kept the setting. Mine lived on Level 3, and that setting was remembered until I changed it. Level 3 regen is much stronger than I can get with my Model Y at all speeds. It’s not even close.

My Wind didn’t have the presenting door handles, and that would have been enough to push me for the GT-Line if I had known better. I always thought the door handles were awkward, and never got used to them like I did my Model 3. Part of that was how you have to push in on the handle to trigger the unlock switch, and it took a hard press. I never understood why the car was smart enough to unfold the mirrors when I got to the door, but not smart enough to unlock the doors.

And I agree about most dealerships, but not all. I originally set out to purchase an Ioniq5 because of the increased interior volume. But the first dealer i called wanted $3k over MSRP, which I refused to consider. So I called a Kia dealer in a large, reputable, “One-price” dealer network and was told that they would sell me one at MSRP with no tricks or gimmicks. They treated me great, and earned my repeat business if I’m ever looking for another Kia. The dealer who wanted over MSRP will likely never see me again.

And going from a Tesla to a different brand and back again, I couldn’t agree more about the Supercharger network. I expected them to get somewhat close to Tesla’s level of convenience, but it’s not even close. Eventually…
The regen issue was probably more as a new ev driver, so that should be my fault. I think it felt better to me at the time, coming from ICE. ID4 also does this, with more coasting and less regen. I probably played a bit with the paddles and didn't like it. New EV driver learning curve... probably smart for low regen to make ice drivers feel comfortable.

Since the door handles are an everyday access point, that was a dealbreaker (like on the Mach E). We would have gotten the upper trim or not at all.

It's one of those details- all flush handles are not created equal. Because I really like the Tesla ones, which surprised me. They have a good feel, and I like how they open. The Hyundai/Kia were frustrating....

Last edited: