Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evaluate my Equipment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

I got my proposal today and I wanted to get your feedback on the equipment they plan to use:

Solar Panel: LG340N1C-V5 solar modules (30 units)
Inverter: SolarEdge SE7600H-US (1 unit)
Optimizer: SolarEdge optimizers (30 units)
Misc: SolarEdge cellular GSM kit 12-month monitoring (1 unit)

Estimated year 1 production: 17,639 kWh
System size: 10.2 kW

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Thanks for the feedback! Which inverter do you recommend with this setup to prevent the clipping?
You have 10.2kW of panels and only 7.6kW of inverter. That is where the clipping comes from. We would have to know more about your installation (main panel rating, main breaker size, etc.) to know if you could step up to the 10kW inverter or two 5kW inverters. It's most likely not worth the expense to avoid the clipping.

You have 10.2kW of panels and only 7.6kW of inverter. That is where the clipping comes from. We would have to know more about your installation (main panel rating, main breaker size, etc.) to know if you could step up to the 10kW inverter or two 5kW inverters. It's most likely not worth the expense to avoid the clipping.

Makes sense. I was told that the panels are rated at 340W and my main breaker is at 200A. I’m not sure what else is needed to determine if it’s worth the upgrade.

You will get better efficiency with these panels using Enphase IQ7+ microinverters. I have the LG Neon R panels, 360 watt, and am losing only about 10% to clipping during the summer.

Interesting. Sales rep told me the Enphase microinverters clip the signal more than the SolarEdge. I guess it depends on which model you get. I will inquire about that. Thanks!

I have 22 LG panels and SolarEdge with optimizers and 2PWs - 7.2kw system and occasionally peak at 7kw but normally at 6.2kw. The big determiner is the heat as the panels are less efficient when they get super warm - I am in Truckee and in the spring I would see over 7kw but now in the summer back to 6.2/6.3 peak. System in general has been awesome.

Reactions: Daskid
I have 22 LG panels and SolarEdge with optimizers and 2PWs - 7.2kw system and occasionally peak at 7kw but normally at 6.2kw. The big determiner is the heat as the panels are less efficient when they get super warm - I am in Truckee and in the spring I would see over 7kw but now in the summer back to 6.2/6.3 peak. System in general has been awesome.

What’s your inverter rating?

I recommend going up, If the home load calculation can support a 10kW inverter.

My 10.7 kW LG335 panels on 7.6 kW inverter in the same geo location clips at 7.8 kW from 12 PM to 4 PM (since May to Present). The ~$250 upgrade to SE10000H maybe worth it if NO OTHER cost is involved with this change.

My sales rep quoted $250 to change from one 3.8 kW to 5.0 kW Solar Edge inverter. The orig plan was for 2 5.0 kW inverter but later limited to 7.6 due to load restrictions.

20190622_213947.jpg

20190721_070403.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Daskid

My 10.7 kW LG335 panels on 7.6 kW inverter in the same geo location clips at 7.8 kW from 12 PM to 4 PM (since May to Present). The ~$250 upgrade to SE10000H maybe worth it if NO OTHER cost is involved with this change.

My sales rep quoted $250 to change from one 3.8 kW to 5.0 kW Solar Edge inverter. The orig plan was for 2 5.0 kW inverter but later limited to 7.6 due to load restrictions.

View attachment 432328
View attachment 432329

I appreciate the info! Thanks!

View attachment 432328
View attachment 432329

What a bizarre response about the 11400 inverter. I’ve got two of them and have never had an issue with any of my home automation stuff... First I’ve ever heard of that...

Hey Daskid. I am in the IE also near Lake Mathews. I just got 45 330W Solarcity panels installed wtih 2 SolarEdge SE7600H-US with power optimizers by Tesla Energy. I also have a 200A panel connection. Am wondering why they would restrict the the inverter in your design. I also got 2 powerwalls also. During the first turn on test for the solar portion the inverters was registering about 6kw each at about 3pm. Just wondering why they would design that way. I am still waiting on PTO from SCE to turn on the system to see what the max output will be.

Hey all!

I got my proposal today and I wanted to get your feedback on the equipment they plan to use:

Solar Panel: LG340N1C-V5 solar modules (30 units)
Inverter: SolarEdge SE7600H-US (1 unit)
Optimizer: SolarEdge optimizers (30 units)
Misc: SolarEdge cellular GSM kit 12-month monitoring (1 unit)

Estimated year 1 production: 17,639 kWh
System size: 10.2 kW

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

What’s the orientation of the solar panels? Are they all facing in one direction, or are they split between different directions? This may affect the sizing of your inverter. If they are facing in one direction, then you should ask for a bigger inverter.

Makes sense. I was told that the panels are rated at 340W and my main breaker is at 200A. I’m not sure what else is needed to determine if it’s worth the upgrade.

Interesting. Sales rep told me the Enphase microinverters clip the signal more than the SolarEdge. I guess it depends on which model you get. I will inquire about that. Thanks!
If your panel is 200amp, then you can get 7600watt inverter (unless you derate your main breaker to 150, or upgrade your panel).

What’s the orientation of the solar panels? Are they all facing in one direction, or are they split between different directions? This may affect the sizing of your inverter. If they are facing in one direction, then you should ask for a bigger inverter.

The panels are facing SW and SE due to the roof structure of the house. I didn’t want them to put a panel on any north-facing roof.

If your panel is 200amp, then you can get 7600watt inverter (unless you derate your main breaker to 150, or upgrade your panel).

I was able to talk to them and upgraded my inverter from 7600 W to 10000 W at no cost. So I think I’m in a good place. Thank you all who commented in this thread!

Reactions: NuShrike
Hey Daskid. I am in the IE also near Lake Mathews. I just got 45 330W Solarcity panels installed wtih 2 SolarEdge SE7600H-US with power optimizers by Tesla Energy. I also have a 200A panel connection. Am wondering why they would restrict the the inverter in your design. I also got 2 powerwalls also. During the first turn on test for the solar portion the inverters was registering about 6kw each at about 3pm. Just wondering why they would design that way. I am still waiting on PTO from SCE to turn on the system to see what the max output will be.

Hey Banshee, I was able to upgrade to a 10000W inverter at no cost. So I’m hoping I will be utilizing the full potential of the solar array. I didn’t get the PW’s, but I plan to add a couple units in the future.

On a side note, how long have you been waiting on PTO from SCE?