Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evasive manoeuvre caused damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

James-R10

Model S Plaid 01/01/21 MSM/BlackCF/FSD/21" EU+ M3P
Aug 19, 2017
UK
Coming home at 2am on New Year’s Day (sober as wife is pregnant and didn’t drink at all) and as driving through our driveway gate, the wind blew it into the side of the car very lightly.

The gate did no damage (that can be seen anyway)

However, my Tesla did an evasive manoeuvre I’m guessing (99.99% sure I did not steer it) forcing it to judder really fast to the right over a kerb and into our holly bushes. Fortunately, it seems this morning the only damage was a wheel got a chip in it and a tyre slightly damaged.

Very annoying as literally had the wheel refurbished on Friday evening and just recently had a new tyre put on after hitting a pothole on the motorway.

1 - I assume this tyre is going to need replacing?
2 - do I have any legal position against Tesla? Without the evasive manoeuvre there would have been no damage at all and the quick movement seems dangerous into a holly bush and wall compared to a small impact from a light wooden gate.

Attachments

• C8D1C79F-A64C-4545-9A79-5F76D1C32E6F.jpeg
    C8D1C79F-A64C-4545-9A79-5F76D1C32E6F.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 7C03690A-B5BB-46EA-B034-6BB101B97326.jpeg
    7C03690A-B5BB-46EA-B034-6BB101B97326.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 125
Could you have missed the corrective steering applied intervention message/beep? That’s lane departure avoidance doing it’s stuff - not unknown to be triggered for no obvious reason especially when on country roads with no lanes. I have seen this (never felt anything though) and I don’t even have the feature fully enabled - just have rumble enabled rather than corrective steering and the rumble doesn’t trigger any message.

Reactions: pgkevet
As I assume you weren't driving under Autosteer, which Tesla Active Safety Feature do you think will have driven you into the kerb ?

Collision Avoidance Assist (tesla.com)

They all just apply breaking I'm afraid, avoiding will be your action.
Breaking? Cmon @GRiLLA :)

As to the topic - on the basis that a guy on here whose Tesla crashed itself during Autopark got nowhere with them, I suspect you'd have the same luck, unfortunately.

• Funny
Reactions: Js1977
As I assume you weren't driving under Autosteer, which Tesla Active Safety Feature do you think will have driven you into the kerb ?
Collision Avoidance Assist (tesla.com)

They all just apply breaking I'm afraid, avoiding will be your action.
You don’t need to be using Autosteer to get warning beeps and ‘corrective steering applied for your safety’ messages - or at least I don’t! I’ve never noticed more than a slight firmness of the steering when trying to manoeuvre but it can be quite disconcerting. Messages most common on narrow country roads, but I’ve had them when leaving roundabouts and even turning out of my narrow driveway. Not sure this ‘feature’ can be turned off.

Reactions: DrJFoster
Will replace the tyre as wife is pregnant. Think if she want I’d take a risk. Just annoying as brand new tyre which it self replaced a new tyre after hitting a massive hidden pothole at a service station in the rain.

Hopefully as they made mess on the wheel repairing it on Friday they will be nice or meet me half way.

You don’t need to be using Autosteer to get warning beeps and ‘corrective steering applied for your safety’ messages - or at least I don’t! I’ve never noticed more than a slight firmness of the steering when trying to manoeuvre but it can be quite disconcerting. Messages most common on narrow country roads, but I’ve had them when leaving roundabouts and even turning out of my narrow driveway. Not sure this ‘feature’ can be turned off.
That's Lane Assist, which is only above 30mph, doesn't seem relevant in this case.

1672600045542.png

Reactions: rickyjb
That's Lane Assist, which is only above 30mph, doesn't seem relevant in this case.

View attachment 891092
Thanks - I’m aware of lane assist. But what feature is generating alarms and corrective steering applied messages at 5 mph as I exit my drive, on leaving roundabouts and on country lanes without clear lane markings? And in the OP’s case to avoid an apparent obstacle, also at low speed?

Thanks - I’m aware of lane assist. But what feature is generating alarms and corrective steering applied messages at 5 mph as I exit my drive, on leaving roundabouts and on country lanes without clear lane markings? And in the OP’s case to avoid an apparent obstacle, also at low speed?
I assume you aren't doing 5 mph on roundabouts or country lanes.

I get corrective steering applied messages at 10mph in the work car park. I have never actually felt anything when it does this.

I’m not convinced the feature works very well in normal driving. I’ve deliberately drifted over the centre line… nothing. Then returning to my side of the road after an overtake and it tries to keep me on the wrong side of the road.