Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ever heard of J1772 Charging Adapter stolen at Service Center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Stolen" is a very strong word. Especially for employees that likely can't afford a Tesla, and have easy access to new adapters and parts.

Assuming you didn't misplace it when moving the cable out of the pouch some time, it's much more likely to have been a mistake on their part than theft.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited:
"Stolen" is a very strong word. Especially for employees that likely can't afford a Tesla, and have easy access to new adapters and parts. Assuming you didn't misplace it when moving the cable out of the pouch some time, it's much more likely to have been a mistake on their part than theft.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

You are indeed correct that stolen is a harsh word. I remember once the service center actually checked if it was in there and marked it off, which leads me to believe it may have been an issue in the past.

Mark Z makes a valid point. I did go in there recently about my supercharging speed. They may have tested the adapter out and forgot to put it back in.

I am very sure it wasnt misplaced and I have searched high and low before making this thread. Now its going to be hard to prove that it was misplaced. I wouldnt mind if it was an inexpensive part, but that little adapter is quite pricey.

Was recently in for my annual Service as well and while there I had them check the software on my CHademo adapter to make sure it was up to date when when I was leaving I checked for it in the frunk and it was not there I questioned them before looking through the rest of the car my bad! It was in the passenger front floorboard. They put it there so I would see it "of all places". If you keep your mobile connector bag in the left rear quarter of the trunk floor. There is an abyss in that compartment in the left rear of the car where some small item if not secured could roll under and get to an area that looks to be inaccessible.

Was recently in for my annual Service as well and while there I had them check the software on my CHademo adapter to make sure it was up to date when when I was leaving I checked for it in the frunk and it was not there I questioned them before looking through the rest of the car my bad! It was in the passenger front floorboard. They put it there so I would see it "of all places". If you keep your mobile connector bag in the left rear quarter of the trunk floor. There is an abyss in that compartment in the left rear of the car where some small item if not secured could roll under and get to an area that looks to be inaccessible.

That is exactly where I keep mine! tccartier you saved the day. It was exactly where you mentioned! I feel pretty dumb and SM18's quote comes into mind.

Thank you all for your input and Im glad I asked before accusing anyone.

That is exactly where I keep mine! tccartier you saved the day. It was exactly where you mentioned! I feel pretty dumb and SM18's quote comes into mind.

I had a panic attack moment this past weekend precisely because of that little abyss. It was the first road trip with the car so I was reliant upon the J1772 adapter. When I reached in to grab it to charge my car, I couldn’t find it and thought I may have left it connected to the previous public charger. After fumbling around in the dark (thanks for the no lights in the trunk Tesla! AO LEDs on the way!), my hand found the “hole” and sure enough, there was my adapter. I keep it in the bag now and may just move it to the slot in the glove box.

I was fortunate to find that empty hole down there in the left rear quarter panel early on when I first got my Model S because my tow hook disappeared down there :)

Today, after a long time, I looked at my FRUNK. and guess what... the charging kit was empty. I know it was there, when I first purchased my car. The only folks who had access to my car was the TESLA Service Center. I would hate to pin it on them... but I cannot think of another explanation.