Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everyone wants to race me......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice people trying to goat me into a race too. Only 2 times was I unable to resist the urge. First time was an older BMW M3 that had exhaust. He was getting on my nerves light to light cutting me off them switching lanes. It was quite annoying. So then I give him the nod at the next one and I smoked him....he blew his launch. Manual transmission cars won’t hit peak numbers on the street either and figured I had a decent shot. I went up to the speed limit and he comes roaring down eventually. Then we slow down at the next light. I look over and he won’t look at me. Loved it. Second time was some guy in a 370z, similar scenario on th same road. He missed his launch too and I never saw him again.

Muscle cars rev and I get a lot of thumbs up and people taking pictures. Figured this will die down as more cars get out there and I can drive in peace. I had and S 70D and we have and X90D, 3 is the best of the hunch imho. I absolutely love this car.

Reactions: gene and Arpe
People want to say that they beat a Tesla. Teslas have a reputation for being fast on the street. Most cannot tell the really fast ones from the base units.

Best to let them go on their way and not take the bait. Nothing in it for you.

Ford used to say "race on Sunday, sell cars on Monday". The average joe doesn't know much about Tesla except they are electric and go fast. Tesla marketing has done a heck of a job. I field all sorts of questions about how long it takes to charge, how you charge it, etc.... but rest assured they know it's -fast-.

On the other hand, our other car is a Chevy Bolt. Chevy is really missing the boat marketing this one. It's the fantastic little car no one ever heard of. It is surprisingly strong. The MS60 is way too nice to drive to my job but the Bolt is perfect for me. The wife has the nice executive job and thus she's driving the MS. Anyway, I remain impressed with the Bolt. I guess the wife and I will have to race one day.

When I started riding bigger motorcycles a few years ago I tended to stop going so fast. It's as if I know the bike can do it, so what have I got to prove? I think the Tesla is going to be the same way.... why race?

Street racing is meh.
  • The trophy girl is a homeless lady pushing a shopping cart.
  • The entry fee can be pretty steep.
  • The purse can be an all expense paid room near city hall and pair of matching bracelets.
The cars that are actually fast with good drivers are unlikely to bother with you on the street, and if they did, It would be over before you hit the speed limit.
The cars that are actually fast with bad drivers are likely to get you busted or in an accident.
The cars that are slow with bad drivers aren't worth the time, but can still get you arrested.

Drag race it. Enter brackets. It should be repeatable enough once you learn the battery curve, just keep adjusting your dial-in.

Well said Rat. My bright color wrap I think attracts more of these types than normal. More so than the fact its a P100D. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the people on the street have no idea between a P100D and a 75. They probably don't even know the difference between a 3 and a S. They just see Tesla and wanna go. Civics, mustangs, camaros all want to see what a Tesla can do. Heck, even diesel pickups with lift kits want to race. In fact, they are some of the worst. Anyone who races all these people are crazy and asking for bad things to happen. Not just to you but other people on the road.

That said tho, there have been a couple of times I've had to show some cars just how quickly a Tesla can get up to the speed limit. :rolleyes:

Well said Rat. My bright color wrap I think attracts more of these types than normal. More so than the fact its a P100D. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the people on the street have no idea between a P100D and a 75. They probably don't even know the difference between a 3 and a S. They just see Tesla and wanna go. Civics, mustangs, camaros all want to see what a Tesla can do. Heck, even diesel pickups with lift kits want to race. In fact, they are some of the worst. Anyone who races all these people are crazy and asking for bad things to happen. Not just to you but other people on the road.

That said tho, there have been a couple of times I've had to show some cars just how quickly a Tesla can get up to the speed limit. :rolleyes:

Those diesel pickups are like a box of chocolates. Fear the sleepers. Mine ran 10.59@130 on street tires. It was like getting shot out of cannon, ~1.56s sixty foots on unprepped tracks. But I didn't street race it. Ever. Sort of pointless. No money in it. Western DHRA Champion, and LSR record holder 4 times over, Super Street sled pulling champ.

Can't say that for the tow vehicle, a 3500HD Crew Cab long bed. I was towing one of the Corvettes to the track, and pulled up to a light. A BMW 3xx pulled up into the Right Turn Only Lane so he could pass me when the light changed. Easy kill for the BMW if the driver had talent since the truck was only tuned to run 13.01@105 and had 4,500lb on the hitch. 1250 ftlb (RWTQ) and a flat power curve does a magic trick though. It's fast even when towing.

I pushed 4x4 and flipped the front locker switch, and when the cross yellow lit, I stood on brakes and held 32 PSIG boost.
The instant the light was green, I was already in motion. I crossed the intersection before he could, and I didn't lift. His lane was ending. He kept at it, and could not get his front bumper up with me before it was decision time. He had to slam his brake and nearly stopped to let my 45' long land barge ahead of him.

Good times.

When I drove the ZR1 on the street, which was bright red, every kid cowboy wanted a piece of it. Nope. Not doing it. Bad for Public Relations.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte and GatorGuy