Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVOffer & Hansshow auto frunk - do they report status properly? And reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read a few threads in this forum and on Amazon reports about their reliability. It seems to be hit and miss. People seem to like EVOffer's system better. What are the reliability experiences with the two options?

Also, do the latest offerings of either kit allow the proper reporting of the frunk position? In other words, when using the Tesla app, in-car display, or frunk emergency button to open or close the frunk, is the frunk position properly reported? I ask because I read that earlier versions do not always accurately report the frunk's position (i.e., showing that it's closed when it's open).

Thanks.

I dont know if one is better than the other. I'm pretty sure they're all relatively the same. They look for the frunk pop signal and then open the frunk, if the frunk is open and they get the "open" signal, they close it.

I got the EV Offer one back in 8/2021 and have never had an issue. (Just adding a data point).

I will say I use the frunk a lot more than I would have without it. Its great for food if you want to keep your cars interior smelling fresh.

I have installed EV Offer on both my Model X and Model S. Both reporting correctly. They both work well, however…

After having installed, I won’t be doing the Y for several reasons.

1. Emergency release cable. If for whatever reason the opener fails, you are supposed to use this cable which I couldn’t get to work without snapping or damaging the cable. Look at videos on the use of pliers in order to open. It may only work once. If they fix this, it may be worth getting. As part of the installation process, make sure to test the emergency release.
2. On the Model S manually pulling the hood down, which you are supposedly able to do, didn’t work. It worked for the X which has a heavier hood and “may” work on the Model Y but felt like it was going to damage the refreshed S. I would like to see a video of the new Model S with this mod and manually lowering the hood without damage.
3. Unit is always on. Using TeslaFi my Model S has more phantom drain than the Model Y without the mod. I may be wrong on this but the fact is there is drain somewhere. When I remove it, I’ll see if it improves.

It’s still working on the Model S but I may go back to stock struts just for peace of mind.

On the Model X, here’s the piece that failed, not an EV Offer failure, but a Tesla weak point. Looks corrected on the newer models. That small plastic snapped which would not release the latch.

EV Offer’s tech support is great and they helped me resolve the problem. I’m just sharing my experience. Just wished Tesla had powered frunks. At least EV Offer is filling the niche.

A534A2A4-93FB-4F1A-8DF4-EF8B0F42D3BB.jpeg

7F0004C4-7B76-4BB6-BA4E-B8DB830F88F9.jpeg

After having installed, I won’t be doing the Y for several reasons.

1. Emergency release cable. If for whatever reason the opener fails, you are supposed to use this cable which I couldn’t get to work without snapping or damaging the cable. Look at videos on the use of pliers in order to open. It may only work once. If they fix this, it may be worth getting. As part of the installation process, make sure to test the emergency release.

I have read about this too. I wonder it the issue is with cable routing, where there was not a smooth pull path and the cable was binding.

2. On the Model S manually pulling the hood down, which you are supposedly able to do, didn’t work. It worked for the X which has a heavier hood and “may” work on the Model Y but felt like it was going to damage the refreshed S. I would like to see a video of the new Model S with this mod and manually lowering the hood without damage.

The Y's hood is flimsy. I agree that if the struts have a lot of tension, pulling down the hood manually may cause damage. I'm curious to hear Y owners' experience on this.

3. Unit is always on. Using TeslaFi my Model S has more phantom drain than the Model Y without the mod. I may be wrong on this but the fact is there is drain somewhere. When I remove it, I’ll see if it improves.

Here too, I wonder if any Y owners with auto frunk have tracked phantom drain. Since the controller is directly connected, it is drawing some current all the time. Once you remove it from your S, please report back. If you are not using the car for a couple days, I suppose you could leave the hood open, unplug the module and see if there is a difference.

It's also good to know that EVOffer has good support. I hear many negative stories regarding Hansshow.

EV Offer’s tech support is great and they helped me resolve the problem. I’m just sharing my experience. Just wished Tesla had powered frunks. At least EV Offer is filling the niche.

Reactions: Luisito
I will say I use the frunk a lot more than I would have without it. Its great for food if you want to keep your cars interior smelling fresh.

This. I think an auto open/close makes it easier to use.

Does your EVOffer system report the status of the hood properly? That is, when the hood is open or closed, is the state shown properly in the app and on display?

I’ve been going back and forth on installing I my new MY since I got it in late November. I love the idea of it and think I would use the trunk more, but I keep reading about issues periodically. Anyone go with an EVO certified installer?

I have read about this too. I wonder it the issue is with cable routing, where there was not a smooth pull path and the cable was binding.

The Y's hood is flimsy. I agree that if the struts have a lot of tension, pulling down the hood manually may cause damage. I'm curious to hear Y owners' experience on this.

Here too, I wonder if any Y owners with auto frunk have tracked phantom drain. Since the controller is directly connected, it is drawing some current all the time. Once you remove it from your S, please report back. If you are not using the car for a couple days, I suppose you could leave the hood open, unplug the module and see if there is a difference.

It's also good to know that EVOffer has good support. I hear many negative stories regarding Hansshow.

The cable does have a smooth path. In my opinion it’s not the path that’s the issue, it’s the fact that there’s no clamp holding the cable sleeve down. The result is cable and sleeve move freely.

Here’s the same install using the refreshed Model S. Notice the difference. The sleeve is locked down with a beefier mount:
458AB768-92F7-4A6E-A9BE-59F60A0D7430.jpeg

If the Emergency cable was mounted with a clamp or similar type mount, I’m sure it would perform better.

The other main issue of not being able to manually close the Frunk is that you have to make sure anyone that doesn’t know may try to manually close it, like at the service center, then voila, damaged hood.

Reactions: snovvman
I’ve been going back and forth on installing I my new MY since I got it in late November. I love the idea of it and think I would use the trunk more, but I keep reading about issues periodically. Anyone go with an EVO certified installer?
It’s not a hard install. Total DIY. And yes, I use the Frunk way more now since it’s auto. Plus the Frunk’s emergency button works well for closing after loading.

Keep in mind I purchased both EV Offer Frunk opener’s at the same time for the Model X and S. It wasn’t until I installed on the Model S that I realized it would not manually close and of course the emergency cable issue.

And yes, it displays correctly in the car and the app as well as 3rd party apps.

The other main issue of not being able to manually close the Frunk is that you have to make sure anyone that doesn’t know may try to manually close it, like at the service center, then voila, damaged hood.

Thanks for this key point. Others do try to close the auto hatch or trunk on my other cars all the time. This alone is causing me to think twice about it.

I can’t talk about the ev offer one but on my hansshow frunk kit if i start to manually close the frunk by putting pressure on the hood it finishes closing auotmated.
The point is you want a manual close in case the control unit fails to auto close the struts. The latch still needs to open and close and lock the Frunk. The struts need to behave like the OEM struts. If they do in your case then it’s working correctly. On my Model X it allowed manually moving the hood and staying where you left it. With the Model S it does not.

I’m having PPF removed and reinstalled on the hood and not being able to manually move the hood is an issue. If the controller fails you still need to be able to manually open, close and lock the Frunk in order to drive.

Question is, will either brand allow manual closing on the Model Y. EV Offer on the Model S does not. I believe the automated struts are too strong not allowing manual operation.

The point is you want a manual close in case the control unit fails to auto close the struts. The latch still needs to open and close and lock the Frunk. The struts need to behave like the OEM struts. If they do in your case then it’s working correctly. On my Model X it allowed manually moving the hood and staying where you left it. With the Model S it does not.

I’m having PPF removed and reinstalled on the hood and not being able to manually move the hood is an issue. If the controller fails you still need to be able to manually open, close and lock the Frunk in order to drive.

Question is, will either brand allow manual closing on the Model Y. EV Offer on the Model S does not. I believe the automated struts are too strong not allowing manual operation.

This video (timecoded)
shows the EVOffer struts on a Y being operated manually. Of note, however, that the struts at that point of the install was not energized (not connected to the controller) so it may behave differently once it is connected. @Payjack above wrote that the Hansshow unit will activate to close the hood once it senses downward force. I wonder if EVO does too.

Reactions: Luisito
This video (timecoded)
shows the EVOffer struts on a Y being operated manually. Of note, however, that the struts at that point of the install was not energized (not connected to the controller) so it may behave differently once it is connected. @Payjack above wrote that the Hansshow unit will activate to close the hood once it senses downward force. I wonder if EVO does too.
Thanks for sharing. Yes would be nice to know after everything is powered and installed, test the manual up and down movement and can the emergency cable release works. Perhaps someone can test and share their results.

I can only share how it works on the Model S. It did work on the Model X but unfortunately that car was totaled.

Hansshow power frunk, buyer beware!
Bought the piece, item arrived from China it worked fine for a month then it won't open anymore. Called and e-mail Hansshow in CA. They 'SAID" they are just another retailer they are "NOT" affiliated with Hansshow. So, I reached out to China NONE of them replied back. BUMMER!!!
And that's why I uninstalled their garbage as soon as I was able to get my frunk open by pulling the emergency release cable, which broke. Hansshow is refusing a refund too.

Uhh now this has me scared. I was looking forward to getting the power frunk installed in my newly arriving MYLR. But now I am strongly reconsidering. Especially if you have a company that refuses to stand behind their product a month after purchase.