Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evtripplanner Down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you change your DNS to use OpenDNS it will work; I've used it for many years and it also frees you from the issues when your own provider's DNS fails..

Well, no. That's not a good idea. From the resolver's point of view, the domain now looks pretty much exactly as it would if someone were trying to use a stale copy of the data to hijack it and send your requests to a bad place. It is not good to recommend that people switch to a DNS server that ignores such problems -- Google and Comcast are doing exactly the right thing, and what OpenDNS is doing is dangerous.

Reactions: whitex
I'm not sure about the DNS problems, but there was a brief power outage at the server. It didn't automatically reboot. We turned it back on manually, and EVTripPlanner should be back now. Tell me if you experience otherwise.

PS- I won't be able to respond to issues very quickly for a while. I'm out of country and often off grid for the next six months.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Well, no. That's not a good idea. From the resolver's point of view, the domain now looks pretty much exactly as it would if someone were trying to use a stale copy of the data to hijack it and send your requests to a bad place. It is not good to recommend that people switch to a DNS server that ignores such problems -- Google and Comcast are doing exactly the right thing, and what OpenDNS is doing is dangerous.

I'm not positive to what degree OpenDNS is ignoring the invalid RRSIG. It's possible that it's not processing or supporting DNSSEC entries at all. It's also possible that it sees that the RRSIG is expired, but the signature is otherwise cryptographically valid, and therefore allowing it.

Either way, OpenDNS's behavior isn't necessarily dangerous. Many DNS resolvers have yet to support DNSSEC, and a signature that is expired but otherwise valid is probably still more secure than an unsigned DNS record.

Moving forward though, I agree that all DNS resolvers should eventually fully support DNSSEC and have a strict interpretation of the signature chain, just like SSL certificates.

I'm not sure about the DNS problems, but there was a brief power outage at the server. It didn't automatically reboot. We turned it back on manually, and EVTripPlanner should be back now. Tell me if you experience otherwise.

PS- I won't be able to respond to issues very quickly for a while. I'm out of country and often off grid for the next six months.

Your site will be unavailable for a large portion of the Internet until the DNS RRSIG records are fixed by either you, your registrar, or your DNS provider.

Your site will be unavailable for a large portion of the Internet until the DNS RRSIG records are fixed by either you, your registrar, or your DNS provider.

My understanding of this issue is a little hazy (the local DNSSEC expert at $WORK is on vacation) but just to try to clarify for @EVTripPlanner, fixing the RRSIG records is not necessarily related to whether the server is up or not. Even if the server is up, some people will be able to reach the site (if they're using resolving servers that don't do DNSSEC verification) and some people won't (if their resolvers do check the DNSSEC records, i.e. RRSIG).

Bruce.

In any case, a good proportion of 'your ISP' being down problems for the average user is that their DNS is broken. Changing to an external DNS provider fixes that issue. DNSSEC is not part of the general equation, and I don't know why evtripplanner even uses it, since it's not exactly an extra-secure application. As I mentioned somewhere, if you are going to use things like DNSSEC, you need to be sure that the records (like any other cert) don't expire.

OK, it is still down for me.

Firefox gives me the generic message about checking to make sure that I typed the address in correctly.

I have no idea what y'all are jibber jabbering about above. Your explanations make zero sense to me.

So, am I locked out?

OK, it is still down for me.

Firefox gives me the generic message about checking to make sure that I typed the address in correctly.

I have no idea what y'all are jibber jabbering about above. Your explanations make zero sense to me.

So, am I locked out?
Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't a clue what the discussion above is all about!

Temporary work-around for those who don't want to mess with their DNS settings:

Go to https://47.150.70.100/
But then you have to click through to accept an invalid certificate (since the certificate is for "www.evtripplanner.com" and not "47.150.70.100").
This worked for me, thanks.

Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't a clue what the discussion above is all about!

In case you want a simplified explanation, DNS is an internet "phone book" which allows your browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Explorer, etc) to lookup the name "evtripplanner.com" and find it's "internet number" (in this case 47.150.70.100). Currently, there is a problem with the evtripplanner's entry in that phonebook, or at least some copies of it. The workaround I suggested simply skips the lookup step and directs the browser to connect directly to the server's internet number. The workaround however will stop working at some time in the future (could be days, could be years), hence calling it "temporary".

Reader's Digest version:
  • There is a problem with evtripplanner.com that has nothing to do with your computer or device. If your device cannot get to the site, it's not your fault.
  • The owners of the evtripplanner.com domain have to fix it.
  • The problem doesn't affect everybody, it's dependent on who your Internet Service Provider is.
  • If you are affected, there are some work-arounds to still use evtripplanner.com until the owners fix it:
  1. Use https://47.150.70.100. You will get a warning about an untrusted certificate, this is expected when using this work-around. You will have to click an additional button to bypass this warning.
  2. Change DNS settings on your computer to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. This is a more complicated work-around, but will avoid the untrusted certificate warning.

Change DNS settings on your computer to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. This is a more complicated work-around, but will avoid the untrusted certificate warning.
I would not recommend that to those who don't understand the full implications. This will also be the first thing your internet provider support guys will change back if you ever call them about any troubles.

Thank you Ben. Great product.

I encourage everyone who uses it to donate every so often.

To all of you getting into the details behind servers, re-read ben's note and let's put this to rest (or, by all means start a new thread).

Well, no. That's not a good idea. From the resolver's point of view, the domain now looks pretty much exactly as it would if someone were trying to use a stale copy of the data to hijack it and send your requests to a bad place. It is not good to recommend that people switch to a DNS server that ignores such problems -- Google and Comcast are doing

Recommending that people switch from DNS servers that support DNSSEC to ones that don't is really, really irresponsible.

DNSSEC is not fully supported by many resolvers. There are millions of DNS requests per day that ignore DNSSEC. It will be nice when it is fully implemented, but as of now that's not the reality.

Furthermore, only a small fraction of domains even have DNSSEC records. The vast majority do not. Using a resolver that supports DNSSEC doesn't help you with those domains.

And finally, only if your client (i.e. computer or other device) supports DNSSEC validation do you get end-to-end validated security. If it doesn't (which includes Windows machines and virtually every other device out there), then you have to implicitly trust the upstream resolver (e.g. Google, Comcast, etc.) and the IP transport path between you and them.

Given those facts, switching to use DNS resolvers that may not support DNSSEC is virtually no hit on your security at the present time.

What needs to happen here is that evtripplanner.com's owners need to either fix their DNSSEC records or remove them completely.

To all of you getting into the details behind servers, re-read ben's note and let's put this to rest (or, by all means start a new thread).

Ben's note is welcome, but the problem that is causing many people to be unable to reach evtripplanner.com does not have anything to do with the problem Ben cited. To suggest that we move the actual problem discussion to another thread doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Temporary work-around for those who don't want to mess with their DNS settings:

Go to https://47.150.70.100/
But then you have to click through to accept an invalid certificate (since the certificate is for "www.evtripplanner.com" and not "47.150.70.100").
I can get to the site and log in and it gets my latest trip but it won't load the Google map.

Last edited: