Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exact suspension differences from the PUP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, but the 20" tires aren't a factory option for any car other than the P3D+, so they are in the factory only for that one model.

They've been selling the 20s for the RWD car for quite a while now. It's dealer installed instead of factory (much like the P3D+ spoiler right now) but it still requires sourcing parts and tracking them.

They are the same ones they put on the P3D+

That's the point- for a real "performance" upgrade they should have made wider wheels for the P3D+

They didn't because they already had something off the shelf they figured was good enough (and didn't hurt mileage like a wider tire would either)

Did anyone ever figure this out?

I'm curious whether I actually go anything for my $5k other than 20" wheels the bend when you look at them.

If you go visit any car forum you will hear stories about folks bending/cracking wheels with low profile tires. The reality is if you hit large potholes then yes you are more likely to bend a wheel with a low profile tire than you will with a 45-55 size tire. It doesn't matter if it is a Tesla, Corvette, BMW, etc. That said, I have been daily driving performance cars with low profile performance tires on 20" wheels and never had a problem. My Tesla M3P+ with 20"s feels like a Cadillac compared to my Corvette with 20" run-flats. I guess it depends how bad the roads are where you live.

For the $5k difference, you get bigger brakes (rotors, calipers and pads). If you care about better brakes and plan to go aftermarket at some point then plan to spend $4k or more to upgrade them. The 20" wheels fill in the wheel wells a lot better and help the Performance trim look the part. The best part about the wheels are the Michelin PS4 performance tires. If you plan to push the car it will corner and brake better with these tires. The suspension is also lowered close to 1/2". The rest of the stuff is just gingerbread, carbon fiber spoiler, pedal covers.

So, brakes, wheels and tires. That is the main difference. The stabilizier bars seem like they may be different but I can't tell if this is just the difference between an RWD or AWD or AWD and AWD Performance. Could be thicker bars, maybe firmer bushings, etc. See parts list.

If Tesla plans to add some performance stuff down the road (updates to Track Mode, more power, torque bias control, etc.), I would hope the P3+ would be the trim to get it.

M3 Stabilizer bars.png

M3 Rear Stabilizer bars.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and usofrob
Thanks. This is what I'm curious about. Has this been confirmed?

I mean I own one and they advertise it but less than a 1/2" is not much to write home about. I don't even know why they would advertise such a small thing. What they should do is put in upgraded sway bars, dampers and springs in the 3P+ and advertise them as a performance suspension.

Pretty sure the spring and damper part numbers are the same between the AWD and the PUP. The lowered height is believed to be due to different trailing links which are necessary with the 20" wheels. If the total diameter of the 20" is slightly smaller than the 18 or 19, that would explain some of it too.